PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here has question

NETMINDER
08-15-2003, 14:29
Have '03 dMax and am currently set up with a Banks exhaust and a Hypertech Programmer and looking for a good cold air intake to match what I have. Currently I'm very happy with the set-up

Also I've been hanging around here for awhile and enjoy the posts about the dMax vs. the PSD 6.0's. Not that I'm a PSD hater at all - actually think it's a good truck/motor, but just look at some of the problems people are having

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=a30c3c4b8fd29ac2d2c98048e59736f 6&forumid=107

seems like problem after problem

sdaver
08-15-2003, 14:38
afe II works for me kennedy sells them.....and welcome

Amianthus
08-15-2003, 16:36
AFE seems to be the hot ticket right now. The performance is definately there without a doubt. Just be warned that cleaning becomes a fact of life with that type of air filtration system.
If you do go with the AFE, get the pre-filter screen. It will extend your filter cleaning interval markedly.

Whereabouts are you in WI?

P. S. -The 6.0 PSD is a verifyable POS. That's the honest truth.

Oongawah
08-15-2003, 23:33
I like my AFE stage II a whole lot, and Kennedy is definately the source. Can I have my 5 bucks now John(hehe)?

NETMINDER
08-27-2003, 11:36
Where is Kennedy's web site or can I caontact him directy

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 12:05
Try,
Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)

gassedracing
08-27-2003, 13:57
I was going to go with an AFE setup and I stumbled on some new AEM Brute Force setup at a local performance shop. I checked it out and it is a pretty clean kit and he was willing to deal with me on it...<$200 for the kit. I only had 500 miles on the truck when I put it on, but it seemed to allow the truck to breathe better. The turbo seemed to spool up faster than stock...of course, since I had to ditch the resonator box, it could be that I just hear it now... All in all, I'd say it is probably a safe buy, we'll see what the group says...I know everyone here seems to have tried the AFE.

FIRELT
08-27-2003, 19:06
HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE MAP OR OTHER SENSORS BEING SET OFF WITH THE AFE STAGE 2

mackin
08-27-2003, 19:26
Originally posted by FIRELT:
HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE MAP OR OTHER SENSORS BEING SET OFF WITH THE AFE STAGE 2 I only had one MAP sensor code thrown once not AFE related ....
;)

No other codes such as Mass air ever ..... There was some issues with the KN. filter kit moving the sensor to far down stream .... The AFE is as close to stock location you can get ..... If this is what you are referring to .....

I'm happy with my system as a whole with the exception of fit ..... Struggle getting it on and the removal of the Air cleaner element with steel tube bolted in, is impossible ..... A little more R&D should have been done ....

Mac :rolleyes:

FIRELT
08-27-2003, 19:48
MACKIN I HAVE THE DROP IN AFE FILTER,DO YOU THINK THAT THE STAGE 2 IS WORTH GOING WITH,THANKS MIKE

mackin
08-28-2003, 05:01
Originally posted by FIRELT:
MACKIN I HAVE THE DROP IN AFE FILTER,DO YOU THINK THAT THE STAGE 2 IS WORTH GOING WITH,THANKS MIKE I like it and others do to ..... Performance wise ,don't bother ....
If you don't want to hear your turbo,don't do it ..... ....People will look up as I pass,I lugger,then I fog'im,that's the best..... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

Mac :D :D :D

zip
08-28-2003, 07:58
Mac-- You're a mess. (Don't take it wrong- that's a southern compliment, believe it or not)
Are you ever gonna get those screws tightened up a little- or are they gonna just bounce around forever? Ha!

zip- grinnin :D :D

NETMINDER
08-28-2003, 11:41
so Mackin what your saying is that an aftermarket cold air intake doesn't increase performance - not even with the other mods I have ...

a64pilot
08-28-2003, 11:48
Netminder,
Unless you disable it the wastegate ultimely determines the max amount of air the engine gets in a turbo vehicle. If you reduce the intake restriction you would probably get more boost sooner and thereby increase throttle response and "drivability", but you shouldn't add any to the max power output. JMHO
I don't think it's a good idea to disable the wastegate, espically on a modified eng. again JMHO

NETMINDER
08-28-2003, 11:58
I did not know that thx for the info ...

mackin
08-28-2003, 13:11
Originally posted by NETMINDER:
I did not know that thx for the info ... We dyno'd before and after,no change .... You will acheive a faster spool up ,but that's it, no HP gain ...I tell it like it is ...

Mac
smile.gif

thechevyhdman
08-28-2003, 19:28
The whistle of the turbo is worth the money alone, truck sounds like Airwolf :D I agree with Mack in his opinion of fit and finish, Kinda rough....mines especially bad, the airbox was too high, and made it pretty hard to close the hood.....Other than that I am COMPLETELY satisfied. Bill

NETMINDER
08-29-2003, 06:36
airwolf did sound cool - am I dating myself by saying that???