PDA

View Full Version : Overhaul Cost?

Chris Strandt
03-25-2005, 06:00
So I have been watching for salvage Duramax Drivetrains on Ebay for some time (for a Duramax conversion), and have been debating my options for a little while. I'm hoping some people on the forum might be able to help.

Occationally on ebay there will be a *well* used Duramax equipped truck. With 200,000 miles on the engine, I don't exactly trust that its going to run the same as it did at 20,000 miles. The advantage is that its a complete dirvetrain.. with wiring, guages, etc, etc.

My question is... anybody have a general concept of how much a complete overhaul is going to cost? Bearings, Rings, Water Pump, Oil Pump, Gaskets, Head Bolts, Valve Job, etc, etc? Injectors seem like the most expensive part?

My other option is seams it to buy an engine already removed from a truck, and hope I can find all the pieces needed at a reasonable cost.

Jim Brzozowski
03-30-2005, 09:58
I'd alert the used parts guys if you know any personally close by and have them look for a truck thats been rolled and totaled by the insurance co. The drivetrain and most of the other components you would need may still be ok. What you gonna put it in? Just curious. There are a lot of electronics involved with the DMAX. Better talk to someone who has done this already if you can find someone who will volunteer all the info. You may be in for a surprise.