PDA

View Full Version : Pyrometer lifetime?

vetman
01-04-2006, 11:51
I've had an Issco Pyrometer on my '02 for about a 1-2 years. Initially it worked great, but about 3 months ago stopped reading above 300 degrees. Now it stays pegged at the bottom of the scale. Changed the pyrometer probe (in manifold), but that didn't help. So it is the guage, or the black box connected in line, or do I need to replace everything? Anyway, I guess I probably need some help getting a more durable one next time. Any thoughts?

More Power
01-04-2006, 14:30
I had a Banks supplied pyrometer fail once back in the 90's, but not since.

Make sure the pryo wiring is intact and not shorting out on some engine component, and that the wiring screw terminals are tight.

Talk to your gauge vendor as to what steps to take next (especially if in warranty). They may offer a solution otherwise based on their experience with their product.

Otherwise, just buy a new EGT gauge set that includes everything... Mixing and matching parts might not produce accurate readings.

Jim

madmatt
01-16-2006, 03:00
I'd suspect the thermocouple is still ok, but as Jim said I'd replace it as a whole. The only time I've had trouble w/ failed thermocouples is when they were damaged by shrapnel :eek:

Tough Guy
01-16-2006, 20:06
Double check for 12 volts to the guage with the key in the "on" position first.

More than likely its a wiring connection..I've installed a few for friends and have had one that the connectors that bolt together came off the wire inside the shrink tube...Thats where I'd start.

Chris