PDA

View Full Version : '03 Injectors - No Warranty extension?

funchucky
03-25-2005, 18:48
Why does it seem that the 2003's haven't had a warranty extension for the injectors? Is the design (or are the injectors) different from '02?

I've got funky sounds that have been coming and going for a while now.... once the dealer told me it needed injectors, then they supposedly "broke down" the engine and tested them....and then decided they are ok.
Obviously, I'm worried. On acceleration (and not necessarily HARD acceleration), it sounds almost like I've got valve clatter. But not always. And sometimes pinging. (The dealer heard that once....and the service manager said, "Yes, it's pinging," but it didn't do it later that day, so they didn't do anything for it.) Problem is, whatever the symptoms are, it never throws codes.
Ahhhh...I have other symptoms, too....like black smoke on hard acceleration....but only sometimes (and no, NOT when it's cold).
Anyone?

Jimamatic
03-25-2005, 22:11
Could be your pilot injection system turning off. Under certain conditions of high power demand around 2500 rpm the engine suddenly gets loud and makes more power. Unless I missed a memo, this is normal. I don't know if the black smoke is normal though.....

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2005, 06:28
Welcome to the forums, funchucky!

Although the '03 is not included in the bulletin, there have been some covered on a case-by-case basis. If your injectors fail under the same conditions as outlined by the TSB, it will likely be covered.

Black smoke? That's indicative of wastegate problems. If boost falls off and the fuel rate continues, you will get black smoke. Black smoke happens when there is more fuel injected than there is air to burn it. Wastegate issues will usually set a code, and in many cases (not all), will cause the SES to show up. Even if you don't have an SES, check for codes.

madmatt
03-26-2005, 12:54
just to add to previous post, a dirty air filter could be to blame for the smoke.