PDA

View Full Version : Boost Stick

JD Diesel
01-07-2006, 14:18
Finally got around too installing my boost stick. There sure are a lot of wires around that area. Highest boost seen before install was 24 psi. On a short run around the block highest boost seen was 29 psi. :D Me happy. :D JD

JD Diesel
01-08-2006, 13:02
when I get into it hard I hear a phooooff noise and then boost drops about 10 psi. :confused: Then starts climbing again. Also noticed that my idle temp is running a little high about 100 degrees more is this a problem. :eek: Since the install I have noticed the the boost has hit 30 psi. thanks JD :cool:

Tough Guy
01-08-2006, 13:56
Does the noise occur during or shortly after a shift?

Chris

Kennedy
01-08-2006, 14:13
It may get a bit deeper than this, but here's some more background:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=009310

JD Diesel
01-08-2006, 16:59
This all started after I put in the boost stick. If I remmember right it's in 3rd gear high R's.Heading to the river this weekend should I remove boost stick for this trip. It's not coming thru the intake had that problem once changed fuel filter and cured that problem. Thanks JD

fire22dirver
01-09-2006, 06:43
I have had the same problem with this noise at shift. Also noticed that my MPG went from 12-14 to 10 after the boost stick install (not towing). I am going to take the stick off to check the results.

Kennedy
01-09-2006, 20:10
The issue is higher pressures (boost and exhaust drive) and the activation of the EGR. The EGR opens and the turbo stalls/reverses and barks.

Disabling the EGR has proven to eliminate this, but takes additional equipment to be successful.

As for BS and performance/mpg, it's an interesting subject. We've had great success with this device, yet some vehicles do not agree with it. It's typically either an awesome response when a truck agrees with it.

We will be doing a survey of those with issues shortly...

JD Diesel
01-10-2006, 17:34
I kinda figured it was pushing open the egr. I have the finger stick and blocker plate. Just waiting for time to put them in. Would BS be better with a programmer or the edge system. I'm Happy with what it does now just stock I have seen boost at 31psi so far. It does seam like the boost gauge moves around a lot now is this normal JK. Thanks JD :D

JD Diesel
01-17-2006, 22:10
:cool: My first 500 miles with only the boost stick. With my 5er was the best. smile.gif Performance was fanastic. :eek: It stayed in over drive 99.5 percent of the time. And pulled like a monster that wanted even more in the hills. But really need to put my finger stick and egr blocker in. :D Well help with the egr pop every now and then. Now all I need is to get Diablo. And then later the edge. Thanks JK for a great product. :D JD :D

Kennedy
01-18-2006, 06:18
My first suggestion would be to get return the vehicle to stock, and have your dealer load the latest GM programming updates for the "intake pop" complaints.

I would suggest waiting on the Finger Stick install at the moment as we are running into some vehicles (primarily 05 CA and NE emissions) that are setting codes with this combo.

JD Diesel
01-18-2006, 18:08
what does this turbo bark sound like? I do hear the intake pop every now and then. Thanks JD

Kennedy
01-19-2006, 06:36
What you are describing sounds like the bark. I would suggest having the dealer apply the programming updates first and see what this does.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that otherwise stock, the boost stick really helps you tow? We've always felt that it did much better on a truck with added fueling, but we never really tried a comparison towing at part throttle and bone stock. Makes sense though...

KellyD
01-19-2006, 10:08
Let me apologize in advance, but what exactly is a "boost stick" and where can you get them?

-Kelly

madmatt
01-19-2006, 10:58
Just see Mr. Kennedy!