PDA

View Full Version : Help - Fuel Filter

BLUMAX
03-27-2005, 17:17
Gettin' my hind end kicked with a fuel filter change, I've done it a few times before without ever having a problem. This is the 1st time with a Baldwin filter, so maybe thats it? Filter change went great, but it feels like the primer isn't pulling any fuel. I followed the usual steps, but fuel never came out the bleed port. I've tried with the bleed port cracked open, completely off, and completely closed. Took the filter back off, there was no fuel in it, checked all the o-rings for damage, back on same thing, just doesn't feel like any fuel is being pulled by the primer. In an act of desperation I've even cranked the engine several times (probably really screwed myself now huh, will it hurt anything crankin' with no fuel going to the pump or injectors?). I've pumped that primer till my hands are sore and nothing. I need some help or ideas, thanks ...

Ok ... put the old filter back on just in case, no help. I searched and tried the bike pump then compressor trick to slightly pressurize the tank, it still feels like the primer isn't pulling fuel. When I switched back to the old filter, the new one didn't have any fuel in it??? It drove fine before and then into the garage, so this is really frustrating. I've cranked and cranked with no luck, I can't figure how a simple filter change I've done several times before can go so wrong. I hate to think the filter primer has gone bad, the truck only has 40k on it, and this is only the 5th filter I've changed and don't want to change it if there is anything else I can try. Sorry for the long posts, but I'm at wits end.

[ 03-28-2005, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: BLU MAX ]

madmatt
03-27-2005, 18:12
there all made by racor so it's probably not due to the fact you've used another brand filter. try removing the filter and filling it w/ fuel then crack the bleeder and pump the h3ll out of it. I wouldn't make a habit out of filling the filter though because it increases the chances of introducing debris into the system that normally would've been caught by the filter.

More Power
03-28-2005, 08:15
One of the steps listed in the Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/dmaxfuelfilt.htm) article is to loosen the fuel tank cap. This prevents vacuum in the tank from pulling all of the fuel out of the fuel lines and fuel cooler when the old filter is loosened, and which reduces the amount of priming necessary to pull fuel into the new filter.

MP

BLUMAX
03-28-2005, 13:21
Yes I've tried that, and I've tried all the steps in the article mentioned, did a search and tried those ideas. I just can't figure out why fuel won't prime into the filter. With the bleed screw loosened, I pump the primer and hear air, so it sounds like it's trying. But with hours of priming, cranking, pressurizing the tank, all the little tricks from the search, nothing. So before I call the tow truck and head for the stealer, does any body have any more ideas? I don't mean to sound grumpy, but as you can imagine this has got me pretty wound up. I've done this filter change a half dozen times before and had no problems.

More Power
03-28-2005, 13:35
I'd guess you have an airleak or the priming pump gave up.

MP

Idle_Chatter
03-28-2005, 13:49
I suspect you are leaking air at the new cartridge. Is the large O-ring properly seated in the groove? Did you "double up" on the center gasket? (sometimes the center gasket will stay on the filter head when removing the previous filter. Is the filter cap (the plastic insert in the top) faulty? Have you tried another filter cartridge?

Kennedy
03-29-2005, 06:49
The primer pump pushes fuel into the filter element pressurizing it, so it sounds like the pump or one of the butterfly check valves is not working for some reason.

BLUMAX
03-30-2005, 12:55
Just an update ... once again John is correct. The dealer called to tell me the primer pump is bad, and of course it can't be fixed so I get to replace the whole filter housing assembly. The only good part is even with 40k on the truck, and out of the 36k warranty they'll split the replacement cost, still about $400 big ones. Now I replace fuel filters every 10K ... is this just a fluke, or have these primer pumps had problems? And if so then maybe someone like Mr. Kennedy needs to develope a rebuild or replacement for the little devil. Anyway thanks for all the help that was offered.

MIKE MOG
03-30-2005, 16:08
SHOULDENT THAT BE UNDER WARRENTY? THE ENGINE IS COVERED FOR 100K
MIKE