PDA

View Full Version : Muffler only performance

dieselfish
01-08-2006, 20:17
Has anyone evaluated a muffler only change? I have seen a lot of information and dyno results (thanks Kennedy) for full exhaust system mods but nothing for what the differences are with just replacing the stock muffler with a good performance version and/or removing the cat. I guess I'm not convinced that changing from the stock 3" to 4" pipe is worth the money. I'm surprised that the truck did not come stock with 4" like Dodge if it improves power that much. I am currently running a mostly stock 2005 LLY. Looking more power for pulling my 5th whl trailer without decreasing MPG.

More Power
01-09-2006, 16:02
The stock 3-1/2" mandrel-bent pipes are pretty good. However, the muffler is designed to reduce the noise to a level that'll satisfy the soccer moms. The cat is probably not much of a restriction unless it has a few years on it and is partially clogged (not likely if the truck is used to tow occasionally). Removing the cat is a federal violation, but many people get away with it if they aren't required to emissions test their truck.

Would just installing a performance muffler help? Sure. Will it get you all that a complete 4" performance system will deliver? No. I guess it all depends on what you want...

Jim

dieselfish
01-09-2006, 21:11
Thanks for the info and warning about removing the cat. I am required to get emissions inspected in Maricopa County, AZ. Decision time. Turbo back, cat back, dual or single tips or just a good performance muffler.

Kennedy
01-10-2006, 08:00
Turbo back 4" single system with 4 bolt flange (not KD in this case) for easy re-insertion of the cat.

I typically go to MBRP or Magnaflow in these cases. Drop me a line if I can be of further assistance.

Driveshaft
01-21-2006, 10:56
What about gutting the stock muffler? Will that help performance and egts?

mark45678
01-21-2006, 16:50
trucks without cats (2001~2002) end up being a little loud without mufflers by my standards . I think a truck with a cat and strait pipe would be ok in the noise department. My buddie has a ford 6.0 diesel with just a cat and 4" pipe (no muff) it sounds great!

Kennedy
01-22-2006, 15:49
In my opinion, if you have a catalyst the mufflerectomy will do very little for you, and if you do not have a cat, the noise factor will outweigh the benefits...

Driveshaft
01-22-2006, 16:14
Thanks, JK, that is what I had figured.

Kennedy
01-23-2006, 07:35
I'll also add that bigger pipes with a muffler WILL provide a nice increase in performance.

Tough Guy
01-23-2006, 20:24
A popular mod with the Super Duty PSD trucks is to add the Walker BTM (big truck muffler) they are more free flowing but not too noisy...Might be worth a look.

Chris

dieselfish
01-25-2006, 20:18
Ended up with an MBRP aluminized system from DPP with cat back configuration. Installation was not too bad (about three hours). MBRP pipe loacation diagram was incorrect but was obvious where things went without it. Everything went smooth and I am happy with the sound. Looks great too with the 5" tip. Actually quieter than I thought it would be. Slight drone about 1600rpm but nothing real bad. Hopefully it will not be worse when pulling my 5th wheel. Thanks for all input. ;)