PDA

View Full Version : What Box to get?

WhiteDuramax
05-10-2003, 21:17
Sellin my snow plow this week so I should have about $800 bucks to spend on the Duramax. I would like to get a box and gauges. I have the overhead console that I want to put gauges in, so no need for a pillar. What do you guys think? I was thinkin Auto Meter gauges, but not sure on the box. My buddy has a standard juice, tried it out tonight on my truck, its pretty sweet, but might like a little more. What box smokes the most? Any opinions ides appreciated. Would like to have it all by saturday as our first local sled pull is Sunday, gotta have the GM's represented, because now its all powerchokes and Cummins. Thanks guys.

king D
05-11-2003, 09:41
you are asking a question that gets batted around more than a major league baseball.pretty much all the chips on the market are good.i lean more towards the quadzilla power van aaken for absolute power but others are just as happy with the juice.i ran em both and i just like the va better.the pred is also a good choice not as much power as the juice or va but you do have more options and you could buy a pred and have cash left over for your gauges.the power max comes with gauges but it is a reaklly strong box and will probally limp your tranny or slipp your torque convertor.then there is also the ppe reflash but you have to send it back to get the program taken out,well i have only skipped over a few dozen boxes chips or down loaders but it all depends on what you want..hope this helps.....jess oh yeah and as far as smoke the pred and hot juice give off the most that i have seen with the hot juice getting the nod slightly

WhiteDuramax
05-11-2003, 10:12
Thanks for postin some options. king d, which van aaken box are you using-the quad 180/90hp, surely the tranny cant hold that can it? carnuts, i am interested, thanks

Kennedy
05-11-2003, 11:30
The Juice programming has been the "benchmark" for a long time now, and is still the best programming out there IMHO. I've seen a lot of HP claims fall short, but the Juice typically exceeds the claims...

WhiteDuramax
05-11-2003, 12:30
JK and everyone else thanks for the input. I think I am either going to go with a predator or juice.

JK- I see you have new dyno numbers for your truck, lets hear about it!

mackin
05-11-2003, 14:06
"Hot Juice " ..... Why play around ....

MAC :D :D :D

GMCTRUCK
05-11-2003, 16:30
You could get the TST Powermax and adjust it from stock to as much power as your truck will handle. When you need more power you get your tranny beefed up and just turn you Powermax up. Gauges and in cab control included. ATS also sells the Powermax now but,with their name on it. This is the system ATS is using on their Duramax and it's supposed to be the fastest out there. You can go to ATS's website and checkout their truck and how they mounted the Powermax controller/gauge unit in the factory overhead console.

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

TPIJeep
05-11-2003, 16:34
I would assume you could stack the predator and Powermax? Using the predator for Tire calibration and top speed reg and Powermax for power, Right?

Kennedy
05-12-2003, 08:25
WhiteDuramax,

I've assembled a collection of most every box out there. At any given time, you will find 3-5 different boxes behind my seat. When all is said and done, I keep coming back to the Edge programming as my foundation, and add some psi on top of that. I've seen programs with 100, and 110HP claims that cannot touch a mere 90 HP Juice. I've seen boxes with 140HP cliams fall 10HP short of a Hot Juice 125. I've got a couple more boxes to acquire, and hope to get to the dyno soon and do some more testeing...

mackin
05-12-2003, 10:03
John

Did you get to play with the TST yet .....?? I know Jesse is claiming it's the one to beat, but lets remember he had his skirt choked up a bit !!!!!! LOL

I'm aware the TST moves out beyond Allison capabilities stock, but so does Quad boxes and some other VA programming ....

Thing about the TST is it's cheap works with the Hand Shaker and comes with Boost/EGT monitering capabilities .... Kinda gives it the EDGE if it comes out of the gate hard like the JUICE .....

Here that Edge ,lets tear up some asphalt,get printing them waivers .....

MAC :D :D :D

sdaver
05-12-2003, 10:12
the best and most power I have been able to get to the ground is with the hot juice with my tranny untouched..............their torque management allow more power with less limp. I have tried several predator, tts reflash and juice and have stacked all of them in differet combinations.......the tts and the juice were real close in 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile gtech times thru 4th gear but the tts would limp me 5 out of 5 on the 4 to 5 shift and the hot juice would hold 4 out of 5 on the same shift.......there were some timing issues with the hot oj and tts stack............Im gonna stay for now with my predator on stock, tires adjusted, and 125 speedomax........and of course hot juice. There is really no way to explain the way the hot juice makes and manages the torque.......its like a two stroke motor coming on to the power band........every time I have run other combinations and I go back to just the juice...it still impresses me........rumor is there is a hotter juice out there and definitly steve cole can get more power with his programing..........but the tranny has got to have some serious help and Im still waiting for a proven tranny solution to emerge.........I think ats has some improvement but with some serious side effects............. :D dave

All-tuned-up
05-12-2003, 11:29
Whiteduramax,

I have had the juice for a while now, the standard version, not the hot, and simply love it. I wouldn't recommend jumping to anything more, level four in this setup is about all you really want to put the truck through IMHO. I'm not going to start ripping the tranny apart. I'm very satisfied, last weekend, on a 420 mile trip, stopping for a couple nights, pulling 10k pound trailer for 40 of the miles, and got 16.5 mpg. This is an honest reading, the average on the whole tank in level four. I pulled the trailer in level 2 Tow haul mode for only 40 of those miles. Every now and then I might get a Service Engine Light but have come to the conclusion it's from really getting on it. Eventually goes away. I like the Edge so much, I can't send it back for warranty! What would be cool is if they would send you a new one, and let you send your bad one back? hmmmmm.

Mack could get away with it I'm sure.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Kennedy
05-12-2003, 11:33
Mack,

I have not found the time to run the TST, but there was one there Saturday. The truck was having unrelated problems, and would not produce numbers, but the 125HP Hot Juice fell dead center between the 140HP std TST and some unrated Competition program. So much for trusting ratings! :rolleyes:

The TST did 303, the Hot Juice 320, and the Comp TST did 331. These numbers suck on all counts as another "underacheiving" Dmax (1 noted bad injector) did 346 with a Hot Juice. This SHOULD have been 360-370HP...

Kennedy
05-12-2003, 11:39
All-tuned-up,

No offense, but dollars to donuts your SES problems are NOT the box. It is warranty returns like this that results in all of the refurb boxes floating around out there...

[ 05-12-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

mackin
05-12-2003, 18:59
Thanks John

And I hear ya ..... Edge is the staple of Duramax performance ..... They are well respected tuner with "consumer" and "your vehicle" in mind all the time .... Tough to beat a winner .....

MAC

;)

GMCTRUCK
05-13-2003, 06:36
Doesn't make much sense to keep making dyno runs with a lame truck. Not only that but a problem such as a bad injector is gonna effect some plug ins differently from others. Why wasn't a properly running truck used to compare different boxes? Or did no body offer? Then another Duramax puts down poor #s because of issues. Nice, 2 lame Duramax's at a dyno competition. That must have gone over like a fart in church.

Kennedy
05-13-2003, 07:38
Both "lame" Duramax's beat the SNOT out of any Ford PSD present, and MOST Cummins...

The one that had the TST boxes has been delivering hit/miss performance fior some time. It did not show any visible (Tech 2) signs of misfiring, and another vendor was pushing the TST on him. The Hot Juice was used to verify that it was not a TST problem.

The other Dmax had 1 visibly (Tech 2) bad injector, BUT, it was a non delivery issue, and not an overfuel issue, so I judged it safe. The diagnosis of the bad injector, as well as all current programming updates was performed by myself on Friday immediately before the run. There was also a complaint of low mpg with this truck. It was interesting to see how it performed, and will be interesting to see how it performs after being repaired...

GMCTRUCK
05-13-2003, 10:43
JK, any idea as to what was wrong with the one that that had "hit/miss performance" issues? The Ford guys must have been pleased to have gotten cleaned by even the lamed Duramax's. Were they modded 7.3s? Any 6.0s? Any stock trucks make a dyno pull and if so what were the strongest stock #s? I noticed no torque #s have been given I assume because of time they didn't want to hookup rpm sensor to each truck. Would you consider the dyno used to be realistic or optimistic? It is tough to compare #s released by "chip" makers when there are so many dyno variables possible; where the dyno is located, whose running it, the type etc. When you can assemble a gathering at one shop for an unskewed comparison it can really deflate some egos. I bet your #s humbled quite a few people. :D

[ 05-13-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>