PDA

View Full Version : Adding a 2nd Filter, Need Fuel Flow Rate

rosinger
01-10-2006, 18:43
I am adding a second Racor (2 micron) filter after the factory filter. I need to know the Fuel Flow Rate of the engine in gallons per hour so I can size the filter element correctly. Please respond if you know the answer or please direct me to where I can get that specification. Thanks!

Kennedy
01-10-2006, 19:35
I can save you a lot of time:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=241

LanduytG
01-10-2006, 19:52
Might I suggest that you look at the product review? You can see it here. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/landuytfuelfilter.htm)

Greg

Jim Brzozowski
01-11-2006, 10:16
rosinger, I just went to Racor's website, they show the flowrates that each of their filters will flow and at what pressure drop. I chose the R60S for 2 micron filtration and its worked flawless. I seem to remember that the Dmax stock setup showed a flow rate that was about half what the capacity of the Racor add on R450, or R600 series. If your're going full race all out, better talk to John or Greg. They've done the research and know the answers and are highly respected on the diesel page.

BurnsK
01-13-2006, 03:36
You mention that it is best to use as a secondary filter, but since the OEM is so difficult to change, especially along the side of the road, what are the disadvantages of mounting your filter first and along the frame rail to facilitate easier and faster changes?

Kennedy
01-13-2006, 05:54
Frame rail mounting is not my favorite location, but I do have a kit that mounts inside the frame near the fuel cooler. My preference is the original Mega Kit which mounts under the airbox tray and can be plumbed either pre or post by simply altering the way the hoses are plumbed. Filter change is very easy, and size of the element is literally huge as compared to others. It is also a true sub 5 micron element (very effective to 2 microns or lower) with a B75 beta ratio (absolute) at less than 5 microns. While the BF1223 will also filter at less than 5 microns, it is actually rated absolute (B75) at 9 microns. I spent a lot of time researching elements and testing this setup. Initially we had air entrapment issues which also can occur with totally stock trucks. These issues have now been eliminated both with or without supply side pressure from lift pumps.

OC_DMAX
01-13-2006, 11:55
rosinger -

To answer your question directly (and not try to sell you a filter system), the stock OEM filter is rated for a max flow rate of 48 gallons per hour (if my memory serves me correctly). So selecting a supplemental filter that is rated for a flow rate above that value should work fine !! There are many fine options available out there.

rosinger
01-13-2006, 16:23
Thanks for the input!