PDA

View Full Version : 3K on new IP, dies on highway...

96GMC6.5TDSubOwner
01-31-2004, 12:53
After a new warranty IP back in 2/03, thought I was good to go. 3K miles later it just "shuts off" on the highway intermittently again & will not restart (once cools restarts). Sounds like a bad FSD / PMD to me, thinking about externally mounted one like JK sells. GMC dealer just had it on the scanner "No codes found, cannot duplicate customer's problem" (sound familar). Service Adviser even took my Sub home with scanner attached, no problems! Your thoughts much appreciated on the frustrating truck.

ucdavis
01-31-2004, 14:07
1) Class action lawsuit, or
2) swap truck to dealer for a loaner till he gets stuck on the fwy & gives you a new FSD. B4 installing it though, tell him about the reliability improvement of tightening the transistor screws under the diamond shaped caps on IP side of FSD.

I can't wait for this to happen w/my motorhome on the freeway. Goodie.

96GMC6.5TDSubOwner
01-31-2004, 14:57
I hear ya on lawsuit, my Wife refuses to drive the Sub, let alone ride in it anymore. We have had a few episodes in traffic, a few near misses then it dies. Its amazing I just had it to the local GMC dealer, & they know damn well its the FSD/PMD, but w/o codes present its the standard reply "Could not duplicate problem". I wish I new someone else in the Central NJ are that knew the 6.5 well. Love the truck but the Wife wants it to go away!

ucdavis
01-31-2004, 17:50
Of course it could be one or a few lousy grounds or connections. Have you been thru the Stalling checklist on Member's Area page? Something to think about if you have salted roads in your driving sphere of influence. Even w/out salt, as a '96, that could be an issue.

gmctd
02-01-2004, 08:33
The details on a new IP Feb03 with only 3000mi in Feb04 could shed some lite on the problem.
Any specific info.

DickWells
02-01-2004, 14:09
Hi GMC6.5 TD: For what it's worth dept. A few years back, I had the same problem while on the way back from Wy. to Vt. with a new pump about the same miles. Turned out to be the ground (black wire) that comes out of the 14 connecter group behind the fuel filter. It grounds under the trans tube strut hold down nut above No 8. That cured my stalling/skipping probems for quite a while.
Then 1.5 years ago, I found that the pump was loose! I was looking to see why I seemed to have more rattle at idle, and saw the pump jumping back and forth. I shut down and re-alligned the witness marks between the pump flange and rear of the timing cover tightened it down and cured my stalling/skipping problems. For a while!
I won't bore you with my current problems, but let's just say that I expect them to get better when I put in a mechanical pump.
I assume you'll go through all the DP notes that you can find from the guys that will help you to locate all the grounds and connections and clean them up, as well as going through the lift pump, oil pressure switch, and fuel filter thing. I don't think the IP itself often quits cold like that.
Oh. One more thing. The only time that the old Sub. has left us to be towed off the highway, was when the prom fell out of the PCM (behind the glove box). Stupid here took the door off and took the PCM out and didn't think to shake it. If I had, I would have heard the Prom rattling around in there and by taking out one screw, I could have been back on the road in five minutes. Instead, we sat there for five hours and spent the night camped in the dealer's parking lot, and it cost us a little over $260 total! Not my most briliant day.
Stick with the old Diesel Page and have faith.
Lots of luck Dick Wells.

eracers999
02-01-2004, 18:56
For what its worth.
Any one who has a FSD mounted on the pump is going to have a problem, right.
I dont see any one writing in with a properly relocated FSD having a problem.
Here is what i did.
I took a big heat sink out of a disabled yamaha stereo (3 times the size of the FSD) mounted my FSD to it.
Made my own 6ft extension harness.
Then thought long and hard about where to mount it. Behind the front bumper, directly behind 1 of the 2 nice size openings on each side of the licence plate. This is the absolute coolest spot,
long hot idle it always has ambient air temp across it.
Protect your familys safety take maters into your own hands. Hopfully you will restore the confidence back in your vehicle.
Kent

TurboDiverArt
02-02-2004, 03:44
Originally posted by 96GMC6.5TDSubOwner:
After a new warranty IP back in 2/03, thought I was good to go. 3K miles later it just "shuts off" on the highway intermittently again & will not restart (once cools restarts). Sounds like a bad FSD / PMD to me, thinking about externally mounted one like JK sells. GMC dealer just had it on the scanner "No codes found, cannot duplicate customer's problem" (sound familar). Service Adviser even took my Sub home with scanner attached, no problems! Your thoughts much appreciated on the frustrating truck. When was the last time you fueled up?

The reason I ask is this. I too was having an intermittent stalling problem with less that 200 miles left on the IP warrantee and they could not reproduce. I had to bring it to a Chevy dealer so my options were limited.

Anyway, prior to bringing it in I drained the old fuel from November (diesel #2) and replaced it with new Shell Premium. After 2+ weeks with them only recreating it once, yes they recreated it once but wanted to recreate it a second time, I finally took the truck back as I had already spent about $500 in rental car fees.

When I got the truck back I put back in the 20 gallons of November fuel. I sort of new I was in trouble when I restarted the truck (it's January at this point) and the truck was less noisy. I had put in another full bottle of Standyne Performance Formula. Truck stalled a number of times. I don't think it was water as the fuel was stored in sealed containers in my heated garage but it could have been gelling up a bit. My truck stalled every couple of hours for a few days until I topped off the tank with another 15 gallons of blended fuel and another bottle of treatment. Since then all is good and noisy again... :)

Hope this helps,
Art.

96GMC6.5TDSubOwner
02-14-2004, 16:53
Several weeks ago it died permanently on the toll road (no restart), so I had my GMC towed to the Chevy dealer so another GM diesel tech could check it out. Turns out FSD crapped out, but at 117K Chevy Rep would not authorize IP warranty R/R on a GMC, so we are back at GMC dealer again awaiting another IP warranty R/R. I'm so glad I kept the old beater Plymouth to drive, certainly comes in handy! Let you know what happens.

96GMC6.5TDSubOwner
02-14-2004, 17:11
Art:
On the fuel issue, I always buy fuel from the same local Mobil station where a lot of OTR truckers buy, & have always used Amsoil Fuel Concentrate year round. Recently R/R fuel filter (filter was clean), bowl was spotless (no sediment, water or corrosion). I pulled fuel from tank & let sit in jar, remained clear yellow. To add to my previous post, both Chevy & GMC dealer's tested fuel quality, said was OK. GMC dealer is R/R IP again because they cannot change PMD seperately under warranty.