PDA

View Full Version : New truck

LakeDaisy
10-18-2003, 17:07
Just bought a new used 2002 2500hd 4wd. Duramax/Allison. No maintenance records. 40k miles.

Also just found and joined this group.

Have only read a few of the posts, but I can already see there are a lot of knowledgeable folks and good info here. Hope to learn a lot about maintaining my truck.

Have ordered the shop manual as I prefer to do my on work on things that I can do without special tools. Thought I would get off to a fresh start by changing all the filters and fluids. How about the rear end?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

403turbo
10-20-2003, 12:45
At 40k all fluids and filters is a great idea.

Tranny: spin filter and fluid 8qts. Holds more but thats all you can get with a normal drain. You can use a dino Dextron III, thats the factory fill. Or mix it with a synthetic. Transynd, Amsoil, ect.

Engine oil: Spin on and 11 quarts of whatever you please see link Oil types (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000202)

Front Diff: 2 quarts of GM grapejuice or Mobile 1 Synthetic, clean mag plug.

Rear Diff, 4 quarts same as front.

Xfer case, can't remember...somebody will fill that in for ya.

Also you should take a good look at the posts regarding fuel additives and secondary fuel filtration. Very good idea.

Always keep an extra fuel filter and a tool for bleeding the fuel housing in your truck.

Other then that just keep up with the goings ons here and you will learn a lot.

Congrats on the truck

LakeDaisy
10-20-2003, 13:00
Thanks 403turbo.

Why do I need an extra fuel filter and tool for bleeding?

I have read some about the extra fuel filter. Looks like after you add another filter you gota add pressure to the fuel system. Then you gota add

403turbo
10-20-2003, 14:38
the extra filter is just in case you get a real bad load of fuel. Your filter can plug and truck will not run. Then you can change filter and bleed.

Also some have had some trouble with air leaks in fuel system, needs to be bled.