PDA

View Full Version : May have found my propane tank!

markrinker
01-11-2006, 16:19
I have ordered an MSD propane injection kit for my '01 LB7.

My goals are, in order of importance:

1) Increased towing power when needed.
2) Increased fuel range between refills.
3) Lower cost per mile traveled - if possible.
4) To 'kick some serious hiney' at our County Fair truck pull in July ;)

To that end, would stacking propane injection on top of more fuel / more boost be wise?

Has anybody experimented with propane on their LB7 Dmax?

[ 01-22-2006, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Kennedy
01-11-2006, 17:51
Use in only moderation and stock fueling. It will be very easy to exceed the holding capacity of the stock transmission.

You may run into issues with an odd engine limp mode also. This seems to be a 2001 issue.

Personally, I'd have suggested a simple Powershot 2000, or better yet a small chip like the Edge EZ.

markrinker
01-11-2006, 19:32
Have you pulled codes after the 'odd engine limp' you mention? What causes it?

I studied the available propane injection products and liked the fact that MSD has a PC interface that gives the user control over

1) boost pressure at which propane flows
2) the RPM at which propane flow is stopped
3) data logging

There are certainly simpler ways (Powershot, Bullydog) to get MORE POWER but I am interested in more coordinated, custom propane/diesel application and wanted to do some experimenting with economy settings as well.

One unproven but fastinating idea is a custom fuel map for the LB7 that is activated only in tow/haul mode that would reduce diesel by 5-10% from stock while increasing propane flow by 3-5%.

ALL of the purely mechanical systems I have seen are simply adding propane on top of stock OEM fuel levels - always in search of more power.

Ken Florey's 76mph, 52second run on the hill last summer sure looks like it could use some more boost. I'm curious if the propane was on or off in the picture from MP's article...maybe Ken will comment?

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff05.htm

Looking forward to installing your digital pyro and boost gauge FIRST to establish a baseline. We'll have to strap it to your dyno and get some numbers once its all installed.

[ 01-12-2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

More Power
01-13-2006, 10:29
I've heard from Ken recently. He's planning to attend this year's Pull-Off.. with a string of new power goodies to try. :D

Propane hasn't really caught on as a power adder for competition. Boost, fuel and nitrous are the most commonly used tools to get More Power.

If propane is cheaper than #2, it might be economically doable to save money of fuel costs. We have one member who taps into his travel-trailer's tanks to provide propane injection for his 6.5 Suburban.

Jim

markrinker
01-13-2006, 12:18
I plan to take this project one step at a time - and use the propane carefully. I don't want to damage the transmission or engine - or shorten the useful lifespan of either.

Since the truck is towing daily and gets lots of miles on, it will be easy to record data and determine if there is any 'economy setting' that can be found.

If there is anything worth reporting - I'll be glad to write it up for use by other DP members.

More Power
01-13-2006, 13:53
I had heard some time ago that a "major" aftermarket manufacturer scattered a Duramax because liquid propane made it past their regulator/evaporator and into the engine... :(

Some kits utilize warm/hot engine coolant to heat the liquid propane, which converts it into a gas suitable for injection.

A kit that includes adequate safety features would be a good idea. ;)

Jim

markrinker
01-13-2006, 16:39
An important consideration, especially in Minnesota where the truck will occasionally see temps of -20 degrees F.

The MSD system uses engine coolant to vaporize the liquid propane. However, the installation instructions available online do not indicate if the ECM monitors the temp of the coolant.

A mod to disable the entire system until engine coolant is up to operating temps should be easy enough to do, if the system isn't already monitoring that parameter.

madmatt
01-16-2006, 02:34
always add any injected power adder in moderation. I severly twised one in two w/ a nasty drug overdose. Best I could figure is the cylinder pressure exceded what the #3 piston wanted, busted the piston and spit the rod out

markrinker
01-16-2006, 11:15
Propane or nitrous? Did you exceed the manufacturer's specs - or add it on top of another power adder?

More details, please!

madmatt
01-17-2006, 03:02
both, and probably ;) was also stacking and had numerous other "upgrades"

markrinker
01-17-2006, 04:44
So it was a John Belushi kind of 'overdose'...a little of everything. :D

madmatt
01-17-2006, 10:40
yeah it was a massive case of "overkill" on my part. I got a little too greedy on the dyno :eek: That truck and all of it's parts are long gone now. I am shopping for a 4x4 Reg cab LB7 w/ A/T and man. transfer case, preferbably high milage or wrecked in the rear (as long as it is a viable donor) for my newest project.

markrinker
01-17-2006, 13:01
That is what the propane is going into - 2001 LB7 reg cab long box K2500 but auto transfer case - bone stock with ~101K miles.

madmatt
01-18-2006, 10:25
care to "donate" it to my cause :confused: If it were given to me I suppose I could work around the auto transfer case :D

fcduffy76
01-19-2006, 12:58
Check this out.

web page (http://www.delucafuelproducts.com)

markrinker
01-19-2006, 16:13
I am sure this one would work - but does look alot like the BBQ parts kits sold on Ebay.

Seems like they are interested in the same thing I am - whether you can actually SAVE money burning propane, instead of BURNING more money making black smoke out the tail pipe.

markrinker
01-22-2006, 17:00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4606795062&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

LanduytG
01-23-2006, 03:02
Mark
You better look for the room unless you plan to put it in the bed. Unless you pull the spare out I'm not sure where you would put it.

Greg

markrinker
01-23-2006, 05:27
I plan to move the spares (truck and trailer) to the gooseneck and use that space for the tank.