PDA

View Full Version : wastegate control

odee
06-19-2005, 19:18
I have gotten my 6.5 swap into my 80 model dually almost done. What can I do to control the wastegate on my turbo? I'm using factory gm parts on my turbo setup. I believe the turbo may be a gm 4 model. It has a vaccum pod on it.

john8662
06-19-2005, 19:24
You're going to need a turbomaster boost controller from Heath Diesel.

Heath Diesel Turbomaster (http://www.heathdiesel.com/T/Chevy-GM/Chevy-9495/Turbocharger-Boost-Controllers/)

If you've got a GM-4 turbo, then this is the one you'll need for mechanical control. Otherwise you'll need the computer stuff to run the vacuum control.

odee
06-20-2005, 03:34
thanks for the info. Would it hurt this thing to take it for a spin down the road without anything on the wastegate? The turbo on it right now has the vaccum pod on it, so I'm taking it to be newer? I didn't pay much attention to it until after I had posted up and went back outside to clean my mess up in the shop. I have another turbo off a 92 or 93 model for sure in the attic. I'll look at this tonight.

john8662
06-20-2005, 05:09
The 92-93 model turbo will bolt right in place of the GM-4 you have now. The 92-93 model turbos didn't need vacuum to control the wastegaste, they had a spring canister on them. You'll have to do some observation here, but I don't think you can swap the actuator from the GM-1 to the GM-4, but I don't have both turbo's.

To answer your above question, I wouldn't drive it w/o an exhaust temp gauge, if you punch it, you'll be foggin' mosquitos, which leads to high exhaust temps. If you drive the engine like it is with the vacuum canister with no vacuum, you'll get NO boost, and it will be like a N/A engine with a restrictive intake.

But for a spin around the block, yeah you could do that!