PDA

View Full Version : Fuel temperature 160+ Concern?

Jim@CFT
09-23-2003, 15:31
I monitored my fuel temperature using a scan tool while towing 10,000 pounds in 75 degrees ambient temps last weekend and watched the temp slowly rise up to 160 degrees after about an hour of towing and hills, plus some stalled traffic. Has anyone else been watching fuel temps at all or have insight as to where GM supposedly starts to shut down fuel? The GM "typical scan tool data" indicates a normal range of 70 to 110 degrees. I wouldn't think that 160 would be determental given the FSD has been moved away from the pump and fuel injection pumps have survived for many a years and design in the "V". Any thoughts or comments?

charliepeterson
09-23-2003, 18:28
You want a warm engine and everything else nice and cool to get the best performance. Maybe the fuel filter heater got stuck and stayed on. Do you remember how much fuel was in the tank with this run. The tank acts like a giant heat sink to cool off the fuel as long as it has enough in it to do the job.

Jim@CFT
09-24-2003, 04:37
I'll disconnect the fuel heater to make sure that isn't a contributor, that is a good suggestion that I hadn't thought of. I had about a 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fuel, that's about the lowest I let it go when trailering for the reason you mentioned. Bring the fuel level upto full did drop the temp a coupla degrees, but I also left the interstate at the same time.