PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running biodiesel in the Duramax?

KingNuzz
10-31-2003, 09:27
I have a mechanically injected 6.5 that runs fine with biodiesel. A buddy is wondering about using it in his Duramax if it's filtered and stored properly.

Anyone taken the leap?

HDMXDiesel0817
11-01-2003, 06:18
KingNuzz,

I was unaware that biodiesel was available on the east coast, let alone in NY. Who is selling it in NY?

I had thought that it was limited to CA for right now, recycling cooking oil and running it in trucks? (Heard about it on NPR) Sounds pretty cool :D :D

Jon

DMaxDave
11-01-2003, 19:11
There is a lot of farmers here in the midwest running biodiesel from MFA, I know there running it in thier trucks, but everyone around here but me have FORDS . David

KingNuzz
11-02-2003, 07:49
Jon,

As far as I know, there is no retail biodiesel in eastern New York. We're producing small quantities for personal use locally, in a tiny co-op. The nearest sizeable retailer, Burke Energy, is in Chelsea MA, near Boston. They bring in fuel from World Energy, which I believe orignates from soap processors in the midwest. I've also heard about a co-op pump selling World Energy biodiesel in west central mass, near Holyoke.

Two sites with general info are:

http://www.biodiesel.org/ - (National Biodiesel Board)

http://www.biodieselnow.com/ - another national organization

The tdiclub.com (Volkswagen diesels) has an active biodiesel thread, with some useful information as well.

20051006|3|009102|000012|63.158.193.198
11-04-2003, 21:39
I just read an article over the weekend in the LA Times, it sounded great until they said it's still .50 to $1.00 a gallon more than Diesel 2, at least here in sunny So Cal.
:eek:

Rockin
11-05-2003, 07:11
It would be intersting to read some information that is not biased toward bio diesel.

What does it do to:
fuel filtering?
fuel economy
engine/fuel system wear
warranty
effects of water, bacteria growth etc
cooling from fuel
engine oil contaminants

Is it cost effective?

TDIwyse
11-05-2003, 07:18
I've been running blends of 10-30% biodiesel since new (~17,000 mls)in my Duramax and 40-70% in my VW (~40,000 mls).

The Linn Coop in Marion, IA has virgin soy biodiesel from West Central Soy (not the recycled waste vegetable oil) in the wharehouse that they use to blend with their retail diesel (very low percentages, it's part of their "supplement" package in their premium diesel)and will dispense into containers for those interested (I use about 5 5gal containers when I stop). A lot of farmers are having them blend the biodiesel in the fuel the trucks take to the farmers tanks. They've been going through a 250 gal tank about every month.

My engines run quieter with the soy diesel, and with ratios up to 20% my mpg shows no degredation (in fact my records indicate an improvement with 5-15% blends).