PDA

View Full Version : Air Filtration

Bridgeman
11-06-2003, 18:10
New to the forum - 2001 max,LT,Quad,4x4 Recently have been having trouble with air filters colapsing and check engine indicator on -indicating air flow??? I see many are runing Amsoil air filter?? Also, in winter I cannot seem to get much heat??

jbplock
11-07-2003, 05:27
Bridgeman,
Welcome to the forum! I don't remember all the details but I seem to recall reading about a GM upgrade for the 01 airbox. If I remember correctly the original box would allow water to enter the filter and cause it to collapse. Are you seeing new or used filters collapse. Have you checked your restriction gauge? Try using the Forum search feature for more info.
Regarding heat in the winter, are you using a cold front cover? One should have come with the truck to be used when temps are in the 30's and lower. Temp gauge should be between 185 and 200 degF. Without the cover in cold weather the engine doesn’t warm-up to normal operating temps. If it's not the cover you could have a thermostat stuck open (?). smile.gif

chipper
11-07-2003, 08:10
I took the upper snorkle that extended into the fender off of mine & covered the hole in the fender with aluminum tape & that stopped the filter from getting wet.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-11-2003, 12:37
I took the snorkels off of my '01 airbox, then proceded to "swiss cheese" the rest of the box, then installed an Amsoil filter. Don't know if it increased performance, but I'm guessin' the real benefit is the lowering of EGTs. Plus I don't have to buy filters anymore, just clean, re-oil and re-install.
JP

Kennedy
11-12-2003, 10:53
This is covered by bulletin # 01-06-04-050.

There is a box update (you can do this yourself if you like) BUT there is a programming update that addresses the codes.

If your truck is that "virgin" I'd look for trans uprades as well.

Bridgeman
11-13-2003, 13:19
Please excuse my ingornace, I asume you are refering the term "virgin" to the 2001 moodel year. If so where do I find all the updates, upgrades, codes etc.???

As well, I have just been informed by my dealer that the 'mass air flow' sensor has failed and is the cause of my engine light coming on. Cost $ 512CAN ($410US) ouch!! Truck has 70,000Km (44,000mi) off waranty!

Kennedy
11-13-2003, 16:33
The MAF sensor should be in the 100k engine warranty. Have them look up the bulletin listed above and you should be set!

It even refers to testing the MAF sensor AND repllacing it if contaminated...

Bridgeman
11-13-2003, 17:36
Thanks Kennedy,

How/Where do I access the bulletin 01-06-04-050 along other updates?

Kennedy
11-14-2003, 12:06
Ask your dealer to pull it up for you.

LakeDaisy
11-15-2003, 13:24
Originally posted by kennedy:
Ask your dealer to pull it up for you. John. Is there any way a dealer can tell if you have an update installled? I asked my local dealer if he could tell if I had the 'Shifting in and out of 4th/5th gear when pulling a load' installed. He said there is no way to tell and I would have to pay to have it done. Is this true? Thanks.

Kennedy
11-18-2003, 07:07
Ask him for a quote on having any and all ECM and TCM updates performed. Should only take 1/2 hr, AND he should be able to print a list of updates applied...

Bridgeman
11-18-2003, 11:24
I asked the dealer to pull bulletin 01-06-04-050 - They claimed thi is a service advisory bulletin not a Warranty Recall and that they would perform the work under this bulletin at my cost. Are they required to perform these updates??

My Dealer states MAF sensor is not covered under 100k Warranty???

Kennedy
11-18-2003, 12:27
I would try to push it IF the MAF sensor was bad for a reason other than oil fouling. Chances are, it isn't bad at all, and the updates will take care of it. If the advisor would READ the bulletin, he'd see that the problems are all interrelated... Your truck is having problems, THEIR design is the problem, how much simpler could it be? You can do the box mods yourself, but the ECM updates are key.

Have you been plugging in the block heater?

If not, start doing so and it will likely set a fuel temp sensor code and get you the updates. That is so long as they don't try changing the fuel temp sensor to correct the code :rolleyes: and ignore the TSB...

Bridgeman
11-19-2003, 16:04
The dealer, after discussing with GM regional service contacted me today to inform me they will perform the service bulletin work at no cost.

Is there any more updates I should have them perform during this visit?

I must thank the DP and John Kennedy for all the information - not armed with this knowledge, I would have blindly paid.

Thank You,

Kennedy
11-21-2003, 09:56
If you ask them to perform any additional ECM/TCM programming updates available, it will take a minimal amount of additional time.

Here's a quick look at what I do to these air boxes:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxairintake.html

Ira Chandler
12-07-2003, 18:11
My dealer did the upgrades and modified the airbox similar to the Kennedy Kut, back in 2002. They warned me about oil contamination of the MAF from my K&N filter. Do not over-oil them! My air suction indicator hasn't moved since, as the K&N OBVIOUSLY has far less restriction than the stock filter. Just makes you wonder how well it actually filters...

letsgo
12-08-2003, 17:21
Bridgeman the following hyperliks should provide you with the updates that you might be interested in HOWEVER although our trucks are built (I believe) in the USA I have found that a lot of USA recalls and bullitins do not apply to CANADIAN truck sales SOOOO go armed.

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/archive.html

good luck.

[ 12-09-2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: letsgo ]

Heartbeat Hauler
12-09-2003, 06:40
IRA Chandler,
Did your dealer indicate what would happen should the MAF get oil on it?
JP

Kennedy
12-09-2003, 08:13
Originally posted by Ira Chandler:
My dealer did the upgrades and modified the airbox similar to the Kennedy Kut, back in 2002. They warned me about oil contamination of the MAF from my K&N filter. Do not over-oil them! My air suction indicator hasn't moved since, as the K&N OBVIOUSLY has far less restriction than the stock filter. Just makes you wonder how well it actually filters... Let's hope he did the programming too. Many dealers do not do this as it is generally irreversible, and there's this mysterious "placebo" effect that sometimes applies. It seems the owner feels that he lost power or responsiveness, and blames the updates. For this reason, they sometimes shy away from this.

For the record, I generally dump ALL available updates on my trucks...

Ira Chandler
12-10-2003, 11:52
"Did your dealer indicate what would happen should the MAF get oil on it? JP"

They said it would "ruin" it and require replacement out of warranty.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-11-2003, 10:43
Seems to me a Q-tip swab, some 90% alcohol and a steady hand would fix it right up. Oh well.
JP

Door Doctor
12-24-2003, 12:08
Does Anybody Know anything about the AFE filters for the duramax

Kennedy
12-25-2003, 18:40
I believe the foam filters do a better job of filtration...