PDA

View Full Version : Can you get foglights to stay on with KD Light Harness?

Seth McKinney
04-07-2005, 12:40
Just wondering if this is possible, and how. Also -- can you have the running lights on as well?

Thanks

Bill Voitel
04-07-2005, 15:11
Seth, try this site: thebritebox Got one for my F**D works great keeps fogs, low & high beams on when you want....Another tip from the DARK SIDE....A littel brighter now!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seth McKinney
04-07-2005, 15:24
That's good and all, but I already have the Kennedy Diesel Light Harness. That's what I am trying to find out -- can you get the fog lights on (also running lites if possible).

DmaxMaverick
04-07-2005, 15:48
Seth

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Do your fog lights not work now? Did they stop working with the KD harness installed? If the harness install preceded a failure of the fog lights, something went wrong.

If you are after "all on" lighting, a simple installation of a relay will work, as with any aftermarket harness, or with the OEM wiring. If you are wanting the max. output, don't bother with the DRL's, there isn't enough candlepower to mess with, and upgraded bulbs will melt the lens. If it is appearance you want, a relay will work there, as well.

If you "mickey mouse" the setup without relays, you are asking for trouble. The OEM wiring is just not up to it.

Seth McKinney
04-07-2005, 17:15
No the harness works fine.

All I want it is for the "looks". I want the fogs on with the lows & lows/highs.

So where would I have to run the diode to get the fogs on. Yeah I agree forget the runnin' lites.

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
04-07-2005, 17:59
I don't know where to hook into it. I don't have a diagram (will soon, though) to pencil it out. With a diagram, it would be a piece of cake. The fogs have their own relay, so it should be very simple. There are some here that have done it, so maybe they'll speak up.

Kennedy
04-08-2005, 05:26
You can do what you want, but I see no reason to. With all4 on you have plenty of vision. If you light things up too much up close, the reflected light may be hard to "see through" to long distance areas, especially if a little hazy or light surfaces. The road sign glare is already pretty bright...

Seth McKinney
04-08-2005, 07:07
I don't know -- Just thought it would be pretty neat to do.

Maverick -- let me know when you get that thing done because I would like to do it.

Seth McKinney
04-10-2005, 04:14
bump for dmaxmaverick smile.gif

DmaxMaverick
04-10-2005, 09:45
Originally posted by Seth McKinney:
I don't know -- Just thought it would be pretty neat to do.

Maverick -- let me know when you get that thing done because I would like to do it. I'm not planning on doing it to my truck. I'm with JK on the practicality of it. I do have the KD harness installed and use the "all 4 on" feature.

I've had the manual on order for some time, but Helm is out of stock and I don't know when it will land here.

If I had a diagram, it would be easy to do. Dont' wait for me, it might be a while. Be careful if you get adventurous. The fog circuit may be PCM related, and you don't want any stray voltage going there.

Seth McKinney
04-10-2005, 10:16
Forget it -- I thought it would be cool, but I guess not.

Jim Brzozowski
04-11-2005, 08:35
FYI.More than 4 headlights on at one time is illegal, besides what Kennedy said is a fact, even dash lights that are yoo bright can keep you from seeing farther down the road at night, because your eyes adjust to the brightness. I want to see as far as possible, most of the time. Of course if most driving you do is City, then you can't take advantage of the high beams being on anyway, in that case the stock low beam and fog light make a pretty good combinatiion of lighting things up close.

DmaxMaverick
04-11-2005, 08:46
Originally posted by SoTxPollock:
FYI.More than 4 headlights on at one time is illegal, besides what Kennedy said is a fact, even dash lights that are yoo bright can keep you from seeing farther down the road at night, because your eyes adjust to the brightness. I want to see as far as possible, most of the time. Of course if most driving you do is City, then you can't take advantage of the high beams being on anyway, in that case the stock low beam and fog light make a pretty good combinatiion of lighting things up close. The legalities don't seem to hinder many people's efforts to get the "cool factor" they want. In CA, it seems to be the norm, and only a few actually get caught. It is illegal in CA, too, but not in all states.

I'm moving this thread to 2500HD/3500 Accessories.