PDA

View Full Version : LLY transfer case

Freeman777
04-10-2005, 20:58
A friend I talked into buying a 2004 LLY (April, 2004) was given a quote of $100.00 by the dealer to change out the fluid in his transfer case. He has some synthetic ATF (which he got from Allison) left over from servicing his transmission. Will two (2) quarts suffice and is there any difficulty in putting it in? (He's got a small ranch in the mountains, NW of Las Vegas and likes to do his own maintenance, but has never serviced the transfer case before).

DmaxMaverick
04-10-2005, 21:39
I did exactly that, as have several others here, only with Amsoil. Gettin' ready to do it again soon. IIRC, mine took a little more than 2 qts, but 2 should get you well within spec. Dexron III is the ATF required for the service. The fluid your friend got from Allison should be fine for the service. The requirements are the same for both tranny and transfer case.

I can't believe the dealer wants $100 for a 10 minute job and 2 qts. of ATF. That's robbery to say the least. An Autotrac II (NOT equipped on a Duramax/8.1L truck) service is a little more, but still not $100 worth. I'm curious to know what service that dealer is performing to bill $100.