PDA

View Full Version : 2 month report - Long post

klthompson
01-10-2002, 19:49
Let me start off by thanking everyone on this site and everyone who is responsible for making the site available. This is my first heavy-duty truck, and my first diesel. This site has been invaluable to me, from helping me decide what to order in a truck, to knowing how to fill a diesel tank... watch the foam! http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ordered the truck on July 20th, 2001, arrived November 9th, 2001. Not too bad, but the wait was hard.

Specs: Chevy 2002 2500HD 4x4 ZF-6 Duramax Regular cab, LS, long box, towing package, plowing package, power/heated mirrors, electro-chromatic mirror, 40/20/40 seats, Aluminum rims, skid plates, roof lights.

Picked up the truck at night. First problem, I had ordered the towing mirrors, but it came with power/heated mirrors. Decided not to complain because I could replace them with Lucerix mirrors later.

Next morning, noticed three more problems:
1) What looks like a rock chip out of the paint on the drivers side door. Mentioned to dealer, they put touch up paint on it, and gave me a little touchup-paint 'pen' for my own use. Not overly happy, but I'm sure I would have put a mark on my truck eventually anyway, so I'll live with it.
2) Had ordered the skid-plate package, but it wasn't on the truck. Dealer said, nope, it was there, just that the skid plates were small. I explained that they must be mighty damn small, and I wasn't quite sure what good they were if they actually were on there. After 2 weeks, dealer finally agreed that the plates were not there, and put them on for me, no charge.
3) I seem to have a stupid grin on my face whenever I am in or near my truck. Problem still exists. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

The morning after I got my truck, drove it to a local tire shop and got the Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16E tires put on, including the spare. Tire shop took original firestones in on trade. One tire seems to have a slow leak... still need to get it looked at. Time...

Recently put the GM Folding Tonneau cover on it. Looks good. Nice functionality. Requires at least one hole drilled into the from the box, which was painful to watch. Won't work with side rails. Required drilling a 2 inch hole in the cover during installation, and the you had to figure out where to drill the hole. Why wasn't it marked or pre-drilled? Once it was installed, it is very convenient to open/close, and remove, which is nice.

Changed the oil and filter at 3000 km. It was clean on the dipstick, but it drained out REAL dirty. Definitely glad that I changed it early. Did it at the dealer, and put dino oil back in.

Currently, just over 6000km, 122hrs on the truck. Max 1000lbs in the bed of the truck (unloaded?), no towing. Averaging around 18 MPG with mixed highway and city driving. Highway speeds typically 110 km/hr. Best was 22 MPG, about 500lbs in the bed, 300 lbs of people in the cab, all highway, average speed 100 km/hr on cruise. I'm sure it would be better if I was driving only 80 or 90 km/hr, but, who can do that? Worst was 16.5 MPG, all highway, about 1000lbs in the bed and 300 lbs of people in the cab, average speed was 130 km/hr.

Weather temperature has ranged from 20 degrees celcius to -20 degrees celcium since I've owned the truck. No winter front used yet, no block heater used yet, no problems starting.

Overall, very impressed with the truck. Great handling, lots of power, nice ride, not to mention good looking.

Current issues:
1) The oil pressure guage. It is ALWAYS maxed. How am I supposed to know if there is a problem other than low oil pressure? It would be nice to see how high the oil pressure is reaching, that way I could use that as another indication of how the truck was performing.
2) At 100km/hr, the truck is running at approximately 1800rpms in 6th gear. Considering most people travel on the highways at speeds greater than or equal to 100km/hr, wouldn't it make sense to have the 6th gear ratio such that it brings the RPMs down a bit?
3) Wish the fog lights could be set to come on automatically. I'll probably attempt to do this mod once the snow goes and the weather warms up.
4) Seems like the truck should have come with mud flaps. Even with the original 245 tires, it seemed that the truck threw a lot of mud and gravel up on the lower half of the truck.
5) The cover over the airbag on the passengers side of the cab. A little soft isn't it? One passenger pushed on it a little, and it popped out! Glad the airbag didn't go off!
6) On a one of my trips, stopped at a gas station that only had big rig diesel pumps. No problem, except that the nozzle doesn't quite fit. Had to stand there, holding the nozzle at about the first click while waiting for it to fill up, and then when it did fill, ended up foaming up, over the side of the truck and onto the ground.
7) When it is cold out, it is very difficult to get the truck gear for the first few minutes of driving. This is after allowing a 3-5 minute warm up.
8) Sometimes, when the truck starts, I notice a light grey/white smoke coming from the exhaust for the first few minutes. Is this normal? Truck does not seem to be burning any oil.

Ok, that's it for now.

- Kevin -

------------------
2002 2500HD Regular Cab 4x4 LB LS Duramax/ZF-6,towing and plow package
Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16Es
GM Folding Tonneau Cover
Let's hope this diesel can handle the Canadian winters!

sonofagun
01-10-2002, 21:35
Kevin,

Good report. Gearing in auto and auto could be better imop. Several on the site have added an aftermarket oil guage with good results. I don't think a light smoke when its cold and cold outside indicates any problem, especially if it isn't using any oil. It's amazing what dealers think they know when they don't. Did he even look under the truck? Glad you stood your ground and got the skid plates. Put a good set of TRUCK mud flaps on, you won't regret it.

Enjoy the ride and good luck.

Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A olympic white, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft,43 gal
across the bed aux. tank.
--------
1966 Chevelle convertible 396 4SPD (restored)
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage, Mag-Hytec diff cover,4" exhaust.
Wish list: Whatever MDRAG does!
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun

TXMAX
01-10-2002, 22:08
Kevin,
Glad you're enjoying your truck. Me too! You're the first person I have heard of that has the GM Tonneau top. Does your cover open at the front? I have a short bed so it may not be the same. The reason I ask is I want to install another fuel tank in the bed but have fit under the cover yet be accessible. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Abe

bhinrichs
01-10-2002, 22:34
kevin,

would it be possible to get a picture of your "new" skid plates. I ordered skid plates as well. What's under there won't protect much.

Thanks,

Bert

------------------
'02 Indigo Blue Crewcab Longbox

Wont Goof Again
01-11-2002, 18:50
1) Oil pressure. Mine is only maxed until the truck begins to warm up (about 10 minutes driving when it's below 0 C). Then it sits dead in the middle of the guage at idle and about 3/4 above 1500 RPMs.
2) Driving around 110 - 115 Km/h, I'm running 2000 RPMs with the Allison.
6) Big rig pumps are a problem unless you change the fill neck with something like transfer flow's.
7) Doesn't matter how cold, truck goes into gear immmediately (I am also in Ottawa - the truck is exposed to the same weather as yours).
8) Unless it's getting kind of cold outside (not a lot of that this year), I get very little white/grey smoke. Sitting at -12 C for about 9 hours, I'll get about 5 seconds worth if it's not plugged in - even less if it's plugged in.

I also have the folding GM cover on a short box. Yes it opens from the front (only one panel) and from the rear (3 panels fold forward on top of the 1st panel).

Paul

01 Silverado 4x4 D/A Crew Cab Short Box

HotShot
01-19-2002, 09:04
Hi klthompson,

1) Mine reads very high cold, warm it reads half at idle and 3/4 at cruising speeds.

2) I don't tow with mine and wished I could have got about a 3.23 or 3.42 gear.

3) I put on aftermarket fogs because I prefer amber.

7) ZF6 speed has some serious mass rolling around in there, takes a lot to spin it down. My old HD 5 speed would grind into Rewind if you tried to stuff it in R in less than 11 seconds, ZF has synchro on Rewind. Try changing the oil (6 litres of Transynd), mine shifts much nicer now but still takes a little patients going into 1 or R.

8) First start on cold day a bit of white smoke is normal, plug it in and it'll be gone. If I don't plug in mine it can leave a noticable haze in the garage just starting it and idling it out to the driveway, put it on the timer and you can't even smell any diesel fumes (unheated garage).

Smorey
01-19-2002, 09:34
Hotshot -

My 2001 LS didn't come with fog lights. I am shopping.

I want to find something that will install in the Factory hole in the air dam.

Any recommendatiions? Model numbers, etc.

Thanks

------------------
2001 2500HD LS Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Shortbed 4WD
Fold a Cover - Bed Rug
27' Holiday Rambler Aluma lite Travel Trailer

2000 Honda Foreman 450 ES

HotShot
04-17-2002, 18:54
Hi Smorey,

Sorry I took so long to respond, I've been so busy the last few months I haven't had time to check out the forum.

I installed a set of Bosch Compass Amber fog lights where the factory ones install. I used a short peice of angle iron bolted to the front body mount on each side to make mounting brackets. The lights just a little taller than the opening so I trimmed the flash on the top so it was straight across and about a 1/2 inch ahead of the light so airflow would keep both cool.

I chose the Bosch because I used them on my old truck and knew they worked well, they fit the existing openings well and I can buy replacement lens at "Crappy Tire". I bought the light kit for about $80Can (about $1.85US :D ) and replacement lenses are about $30Can.