PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Diesel & the Duramax 6600

More Power
01-20-2006, 13:25
While attending the 2005 DTF annual meeting last October, I spent some time with a Bosch engineer discussing the Duramax fuel injection system. One topic that came up was: "What is Bosch's position on bio-diesel when used in the Duramax 6600 fuel injection system?"

Bill Rutecki, the Bosch engineer I spoke with told me that there was nothing inherently wrong with running a bio blend, in so far as durability and performance were concerned. He went on to clarify however, that the problem was a current lack of standards among the producers and especially among the home brew market. Aside from the standards issue, Bill mentioned that little is known about the storage life of bio, and whether a rancid batch would damage a high-pressure fuel injection system.

In short, it is the lack of data, concerning bio that concerns manufacturers - not necessarily the "idea" of running bio.

As an aside, I get several email messages per week asking about bio use in GM diesels. My usual response is that while I don't have a negative opinion about bio-diesel, I have learned that wide-scale production of bio isn't economically feasible. I'm told that it requires more energy to produce than it delivers. Not a good business model... Using waste cooking oil is a novel solution to the disposal problem, but there isn't enough used cooking oil available to the public to make an appreciable difference in the whole scheme of things.

Your thoughts?

Jim

[ 01-20-2006, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Hillbilly Jim
01-20-2006, 14:33
I have been running Bio-diesel for last 78000 mile in my Dmax and in a farm tractor. Bought at alocal Conco filling station, at a 8 cents per gallon premium. Its bio-20 and I use it about every fourth fill.
Bio-diesel has a better energy return than Ethonal and makes a lot more sense in my opinion. I have seen nothing to indicate it is energy deficient to produce. Of course I get my information from the National Bio-diesel Board.
Hillbilly Jim

markrinker
01-20-2006, 19:49
I found out recently that ALL the diesel we burn is 2% bio here in Minnesota - since June 2005.

http://www.newrules.org/agri/biodieselmn.html

Since mileage is my main hot button - I would love to test this blend side by side with 100% petro-diesel. Doubt there would be a significant difference with this small percentage.

You could probably add 2% of just about anything liquid and as long as it didn't clog the fuel filter, you wouldn't notice much difference in power and/or mileage.

Hmmm...how about 2% urine and diesel. We'll call it euro-diesel...totally self sustaining and replenishable.... :D :D :D

I agree that the ethanol subsidy is just that. E-85 lacks like ~40% of the equivalent energy contained in gallon of regular unleaded.

[ 01-21-2006, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Tough Guy
01-20-2006, 20:37
"Hmmm...how about 2% urine and diesel. We'll call it euro-diesel...totally self sustaining and replenishable...."

You are a crack-up !!

I thought it smelled a little funny when I filled up!

Chris

silverback
01-21-2006, 08:58
Don't laugh too much about the urine in diesel mix. Mercedes (http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e43d) is considering urea injection for their 08 US engines to meet the new EPA requirements. Back to bio-diesel, I have been buying and blending in B100 (in the tank with petro diesel) from Western States Petroleum in Phoenix. My last mix was almost dead-on B50 (half an half). The truck loved it. No changes in power or MPG. I do that every 4 to 5 tanks and not always the same blend. We get a $1.00 off per gallon from the feds for using soy fuels. I use it in our VW TDI too.
-KL

D-max Man
01-23-2006, 10:02
If they would run on urine, I would get mine from the local bar. Higher octanie if you know what I mean! :D

Inspector
01-23-2006, 11:10
No savings there with euro-diesel, you would just spend the difference on more beer.
Denny ;)

DmaxMaverick
01-23-2006, 11:26
Originally posted by Inspector:
No savings there with euro-diesel, you would just spend the difference on more beer.
Denny ;) If it works, I can live with that!

Heck! Even if it didn't work, I'd give it a shot....All in the name of research, of course. It might even be tax deductible....

D-max Man
01-23-2006, 11:31
Originally posted by Inspector:
Denny ;) Going to drink the beer anyhow!

And if I was going to the track, I just switch to Jack Dainels!! :D :D

Diesel Dude
01-23-2006, 19:09
i to have reserched the different forms of Bio-diesel. bio-d.inherently contains more water,pure bio-d. will eat rubber,used frying oil is not as good as virgen vegi or soy in grade or consistancy. It costs more, It is more prone to algi forming when stored. I think it would benefit farmers more in house to make their own . I really don,t think manufacturers are ready to retool or create synthetic seals and 0 rings to withstand the disolving effects of straight bio d. It is a good idea as alternative fuel.just give it time.

Minn-kota
01-26-2006, 18:50
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
I found out recently that ALL the diesel we burn is 2% bio here in Minnesota - since June 2005.

http://www.newrules.org/agri/biodieselmn.html

Here's your B2 mandate at work: http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13477163.htm

Rick Malone
01-27-2006, 07:00
Ck out the story in the curent DieselPower called Veggie Power they tell you the how to's for converting a Diesel to run on Vegetble Oil.Its a little out there but it works.
www.dieselpowermag.com (http://www.dieselpowermag.com)