PDA

View Full Version : 37k miles and needing new injectors already?

fmauto
04-12-2005, 17:03
I have an 02 2500HD CC 4WD with only 37,000 miles and been having loss of power and starting issues. Dealer says it needs new fuel inj. Is there something I should know about? This is my first diesel & loved it so far, but now I'm worried.

OC_DMAX
04-13-2005, 03:57
Of three people I know personally that have 2002 DMAX's, two have had injector failures before 40,000 miles. The injectors installed in 2001 and 2002 vehicles were (are) defective. You should have received a letter from GM explaining the design issues: cracked injector bodies and ball seat erosion.

The original design called for an injector life of 200K miles. The Bosch design is falling well short of that. GM should have just replaced all the injectors. Instead, they have issued a 7 yr / 200K mile warranty. This is fine for those that drive large miles every year, however, for those like you and I who put on 10K-15K miles each year, we will get no where near the EXPECTED 200K miles life on the injectors. By the way, if you paid to have all 8 injectors replaced, the bill would be in the $3K-$4K range (talk about sticker shock).

Hopefully your new set of 8 will last longer than your original set of 8. The jury is still deliberating on this.

fmauto
04-13-2005, 18:58
Is it just the injectors that are replaced? Do the new injectors solve the issue? I've read that adding an additional fuel filter will help. I really would like to keep this truck a long time and maybe even pass it to my son (8yrs old now). I have lost some confidence on it's durability and longevity. Are there any other "gremlins" lurking in the Dmax/Ally that I should now about or start looking for?

OC_DMAX
04-14-2005, 03:36
Most likely, the dealer will replace just the 8 fuel injectors.

I would hope some of the design issues have been worked out of the original injectors (in particular, the cracked injector bodies - this is definitely a "design or manufacturing process" defect - no other word for it - GM are you listening?)

The ball seat erosion could be traced to a fuel cleanliness issue. GM / Isuzu / DMAX Lmtd has changed the fuel filter spec and now a newer updated fuel filter exists. After you get your injectors replaced, make sure you are using the new "Dual Pleat" design fuel filter.

If you objectively sit back and read all the posts people place on these forums, I think you will come to the conclusion the DMAX/Alli is pretty bullet-proof (especially if left stock). The one main problem is the fuel injection system and in particular the fuel injectors. So if you can live with replacing them within the next 150K miles again, then you will be happy with the truck.

I personally believe they have improved the injectors. Are they at the design goal of 200K miles? I doubt it (but thats just my opinion with no factual data to back it up).

hd90rider
04-14-2005, 08:35
Hmmm I had no probs. till 215,000. Then 3 times within 25,000 more miles. I have had an extra fuel filter on since truck was new though. Maybe that helped. 02 truck.

OC_DMAX
04-14-2005, 10:30
How long did you go with your second engine before you had injector problem ? :D

I suspect your additional fuel filter helped the ball seat erosion issue. Not much help for cracked injector bodies.

I don't think the median injector life on the DMAX is anywhere approaching 200K miles. Maybe getting better, but not there yet.

Jim Brzozowski
04-15-2005, 08:45
Bill, do you suppose that 3 more in 25,000 miles had something to do with the quality of the work performed on the first and subsequent change outs?
I do, otherwise why would the first set last 215K and the others fail so soon?