PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives

bigwavedave
04-12-2005, 21:06
I am a new diesel owner. My 2005 Duramax has all of 71 miles on the odometer. I've got a ton of questions, but will limit myself to one at a time, and will try to learn as I go. I've been given conflicting advice on the use of fuel additives. What's the scoop? Should I or shouldn't I? If so, what kind and how often.

Thanks for the help

jbplock
04-13-2005, 02:38
Dave,

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to GM's recommendation regarding additives...

Diesel Fuel Additives (http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/apr03/TLApr03e.html#story1) (TSB 03-06-04-017 has the same info)

Also try a forum search

2dogs
04-14-2005, 05:32
You can sure add a lot to yor fuel bill by additives.........depending on your driving habits, this may be significant or minor (miles driven). In my case I have just topped the 350,000 mark (01 Dodge) and use additives on a rare occassion.....like maybe 5-10% of the time - and then only if I suspect the fuel may be suspect - very small local out of the way place that doesn' look like they sell much diesel - and I have to have fuel. This has occurred when travelling south of the border - or way north - I mean Way North...... Otherwise - I think a waste......

Kennedy
04-14-2005, 06:47
I run FPPF Total Power in all of my diesels, but if GM ever asks, it's simply easier to tell them you use Stanadyne.

Today's fuel is poor, and the injection systems keep getting tighter and tighter tolerances. Additives are a great idea, and GM has even prescribed them for some LLY Dmax's to help with injector issues. I'd rather do it preemptively. A good fuel additive is one of the best ways to help the fuel system live a long healthy life, AND is generally associated with REAL gains in MPG as well as quieter operation, less smoke, and reduced emissions.

jbplock
04-14-2005, 06:56
The new High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) fuel injection systems like the Bosch system used on the Duramax are more sensitive to fuel quality... See the following paper for more info.

Diesel Fuel Lubricity Requirements for Light Duty Fuel Injection Equipment (http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/meeting/2003/022003bosch.pdf)

smile.gif