PDA

View Full Version : Buy new?

J54 Mark
02-18-2004, 10:46
I am strongly considering an '04 extended cab (Duramax, of course), Allison, 4X4. A dealer has offered one he has on order at invoice, less some $500 rebate PLUS 60 month 0% financing. This latter is important as in my business cash flow is everything.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to buy a late model used one at a price that makes sense, when calculating actual payments and looking at residual value.

Or I could buy a (ahem) Dodge for exactly $3,000 less, but with six speed. I can't see this either as it is likely the Chevy will be worth at least $3,000 more at almost any point in its life.

Am I missing something?

Mark

Rockin
02-18-2004, 11:29
Look at different ages of used Dodge and Chevy comparably equiped in Kelly or NADA and you can get a feel for the used vehicle value. Probably biggest thing affected is that Dodge did a major body change so the older body style may have lost value.

Those books are just an average value across the country so you can assume either make will actually sell for the difference you see in the book even though the actual amount may be quite different.

keywest
02-19-2004, 07:31
Mark,

Here in Mass., I 've looked & every Duramax I've seen regardless of cab style up to 2-3 yrs old is almost the same price as a new one w/ rebates etc.

Plus, How did the other guy use it & baby it, you know what I mean . At least w/ the new one you do the child rearing, diaper & oil changes & discipline etc. ;)

Good luck. Paul