PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Valve Cover on D-Max

Chris Todd
04-15-2005, 16:41
Today while doing some medium maintenance on my 2002 D-Max I noticed a slightly leaking valve cover on the right side. The oil leak is so slight as to not affect oil quantity over even as much as 5000 miles; it doesn

madmatt
04-15-2005, 19:45
[quote]The engine is still in warranty at 69,000 miles, so all I

Chris Todd
04-18-2005, 04:23
Well, even if the dealer doesn't cover it, my aftermarket warratny coverage from GIECO will for $250...

So, is there anything I, or the dealer who works on it, needs to watch out for while changing a valve cover and gasket?

Or is it not worth worrying about?

Also it leaks onto the hot exaust manifold, so some of the very small drips get somewhat evaporated/smoked/vaporized prior to hitting the clean surface. That would seem, to me, to make the test posted above somewhat suspect.

Thanks

madmatt
04-18-2005, 18:16
if it were my truck, unless it was hitting the ground or causing an oil consumption concern, I'd leave it be. Just for the simple fact that it's only a "seep" for now, who knows what it could be after it's been apart and back together. I've seen a lot of techs who have a hell of a time getting those covers sealed for some reason. Also I regularly wash my engine so I probably wouldn't notice a small seep. I'd clean it off and see how bad it comes back before you roll past 100K.

Kennedy
04-20-2005, 12:21
I think you'd be opening up a big can of worms with the incector line nut corrosion and the potential for a mess. I had a 2002 in yesterday with the same seepage. VERY minor.

I'd clean it off and see how bad it comes back.

HD=HossDiesel
04-22-2005, 13:30
Also take note of all the stuff you need to remove to get the Valve covers off. According to the shop manual its a 5 1/2 hr job. I've never done it myself but my truck had to have repairs a few weeks ago and they had to remove the left one. Labor for the bill was $800. I took a look at it myself I dont know if it was worth that but.... it darn sure didnt look like any fun. Oh and the right side supposedly is even more difficult to work on.

madmatt
04-22-2005, 18:29
Gm list the job as 6.7 hrs warr and almost 9 hrs cust. pay. I would rather do the right side(pass. side) but i've never had the luxury of removing just that side!