PDA

View Full Version : oops....I screwed up!!!!!

texscrambler
01-24-2006, 16:40
Let me start this story a couple months back when I bought a programmer off of eBay for my 04

texscrambler
01-24-2006, 21:19
I forgot to mention why the truck ran away with itself. The oil from the line that goes to the turbo charger continued to pump oil into the intake system from the time the turbo finally went out. All the GM mechanics that I talked to didn

More Power
01-24-2006, 22:09
Sorry to hear about your engine probs...

Sounds like you're becoming quite a Duramax mechanic! :D

I heard of a 6.2L diesel engine runaway once. The owner tried adding oil with the engine running. The crankcase vent on the early 6.2's was in the oil fill pipe. The engine sucked the oil he was adding into the intake as he poured. He said it smoked out the entire neighborhood.

Jim

tanker
01-25-2006, 02:26
Diesel's have been known to runaway if they can ingest some fuel media through the air intake. A number of years ago in Faifax Virginia there was a gasoline spill at a loading terminal. A driver pulled in to the terminal not knowing about all the gasoline on the ground. Then engine ingested the gasoline vapors, the engine took off and exploded as it ranaway, causing a major terminal fire. No lives lost, but a devastation non the less. I once had a diesel engine running backwards, ie; sucking air up the exhaust, and the exhaust was comming out the air cleaner. (6500 GMC Toroflow V-6 Diesel 1969) :eek:

markrinker
01-25-2006, 05:44
The first day of diesel ownership (6.5) I experienced a runaway while using Seafoam to decarbonized the engine. Very scary. The engine lived and still runs great today, but not because of my smarts. :D

rjschoolcraft
01-25-2006, 05:55
To add a little to Tanker's comment about diesels running backward...

We had/have (it's apart now) a John Deere 720 Diesel two cylinder on the family farm. This tractor had a little V-4 pony engine used to start the Diesel (it now has been converted to electric start). Two levers on the left side of the tractor were used in starting. One was a decompression lever and the other engaged the pinion on the V-4 output shaft to the ring gear on the flywheel of the Diesel. In cold weather, the procedure was to let the pony engine crank the Diesel with the compression released for a few minutes to warm then release the lever to start. If you accidentally let go of both levers at the same time, the one cylinder would come up against compression stalling everything before the piston reached TDC. The pressure would push the piston back down in backward rotation. The flywheel kept everything going and the engine would fire and run backward. It would push oil and exhaust out the breather and suck air in through the exhaust stack. Although we never let it run that way very long, it would sit there and run indefinitely (or until something broke from oil starvation because the oil pump is now running backward!).

LanduytG
01-25-2006, 06:01
The worst part is when it happens most people get in a panic and don't know how to shut it off. The only way is to cut off the air. Most big desiels have and emergency shut off that is nothing more than a big flapper in the intake that snaps shut.

Greg

JohnC
01-25-2006, 09:22
I miss having the compression release....

gmmerlin
01-25-2006, 09:38
Since Diesel engines are fuel controled, any excess hydocarbon entering the combustion chamber will cause the engine to "run away"
I have seen a few take off and self destruct...your is the only DMAX I have heard about running away.

Claven
01-25-2006, 09:50
If you work in the oilfield you must have a positive air shut-off system on any diesel engine, just in case you drive into a location that may have a number of different fuels floating in the air.

madmatt
01-25-2006, 12:46
I've had many a scary run-in (or off in this case) w/ some jacked up two stroke Detriots and their crazy azz buffer screws. They suck! I've seen turbo failures cause it on them all(execpt the dmax) One time I even messed up (just once though ;) ) and put a 3306 fuel system together wrong. It didn't take off but it did go to WOT and scare the sh!t out of me. That same engine took off backwards when I took the Cat killer off the intake to soon. she fired back up and belched black smoke all in my face. Usually when I've blown stuff up I knew what I was doing, just not how my subject would react :D

carco
01-27-2006, 17:12
Two summers ago I screwed up big time. Replaced a turbo on an 8.3L Cummins in a K300 KW, forgot to clean intercooler of oil ingested when turbo seal lost. I've never heard a stock engine run that fast, sounded almost like a jet engine and the smoke had the neighbors calling to see if we had a fire! Lost the engine, could not shut off the air fast enough. bob..........