PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter recall?

sjd_sd
01-25-2006, 20:41
I received a recall notice for a "15000 mile fuel filter change". It references a dealership that I haven't actually used for service...only for a repair that didn't go well.

Did GM issue a recall on the fuel filters or is this a wierd marketing trick?

Paranoid in California

DmaxMaverick
01-25-2006, 21:06
It's for real. GM updated the filter design and wants (needs) to ensure every Duramax engine is equipped with the improved design. From this time forward, the new filter is supposed to be the only one available anywhere.

You can take the recall to any dealer. I just walked in and asked for the filter, and they gave me one, no charge. I'd rather do it myself.

sjd_sd
01-25-2006, 21:13
thanks for the quick reply. I just copied filter change instructions from another post and I think I'll give it a try myself next time.

Steve

airstream12557
01-26-2006, 03:38
Has there been two recent "recalls"? I received my notice last summer. The letter stated that GM would give a free fuel filter replacement with a improved filter design. When I took my Duramax to the dealer for the fuel filter replacement, they told me that they could only use the old style (single stage) filter. I talked with GM and they assured me that that was the intent of the letter. They just wanted to make sure that filters were changed on schedule. The factory said they indeed had changed the filter design, but the old design was just as good. I knew that he was just "blowing smoke" :mad: .

Has there been a second notice from GM to replace the old single stage fuel filter with a new dual stage fuel filter?

I still feel that I was lied to by GM when they stated in their letter that they would be replacing the filter with a new design and then when I went in for the change, they used the old style filter.

spongebob
01-26-2006, 07:37
rats..i just bought 6 filters on e-bay..