PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fuel????

Shoe
01-26-2006, 05:22
I had my fuel system serviced (as recommended at around 15,000) prior to a trip to Florida over the holidays. Tuesday I filled her up with 21 gallons at a station I've been using for several years and that evening she started acting up. Outside temps were in the mid-30's and it started like it was 0 out (rattle and shake). Since then during hard accelleration it studders and smokes like mad. Water? Bad fuel? My 03 had a glass bowl, the 05 doesn't.

I checked with the gas station and he said there haven't been any other complaints. Naturally I believe it's the fuel since the symptoms occured within 15 miles of refueling.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Kennedy
01-26-2006, 06:06
Not sure where the glass bowl was on your 03, but my first suggestion would be to pull a sample out the drain and into a clear container for inspection.

Also, consider the gauge and WIF sensor wrench listed here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=3&SubCategory=155

and reviewed here:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

Priceless in situations like this that have you scratching your head AND potentially heading to the dealer to spend big $$$.

Shoe
02-02-2006, 05:05
Update:

It ended up on a flatbed shortly after my post. While trying to start it during what I would call a warm start, it wouldn't fire. Called roadside service and while waiting (what seemed like days :mad: ) we tried it again. It fired, ran for 30 seconds and died again. It was towed to the dealer and spent the night. Naturally, the next morning it fired right up and ran... typical! They did notice the hesitation but couldn't duplicate the problem (not starting) until later that day when they took it out for long run. After performing a "specific gravity test" on the fuel it was discovered that the diesel was contaminated with a small percentage of unleaded fuel.

The test revealed a reading of 40, when it should be between 34 and 39.

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 05:49
Just FYI, the GM readings seem to work "bass ackwards" from the norm. I'd suggest taking another sample from the same station as well as another station and see how they compare.