PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Allison in SUVs

Lazar
04-12-2004, 11:20
I bought Duramax engine and Allison transmission and I want to instal it in Tahoe. I want to buy a salvage Tahoe body and other components like Mr. Armstrong who discribed the installation of Duramax/Allison into Suburban.
Thank you all!

More Power
04-24-2004, 16:03
The sources listed in the article are the best I can do. All of Bill Armstrong's components were sourced through just a couple of the listed salvage yards in Michigan and Ohio.

Bill does not have an email address, nor is he "on the net", so to speak. Bill's story came to us through member Gene Wonders who is a personal friend of Bill's. Gene took the photos and asked Bill a series of prepared questions I had about his project. That interview was then written into the article.

Aside from contacting the listed sources, I would spend some time on the net searching for new or salvage GM auto parts. You'll find hours of browsing. Someone should have what you need, whether new salvage or from a previously owned damaged vehicle.

However, here's another possibility...... Buy a 2000 or newer gas Tahoe, then convert it. Aside from the Duramax/Allison specific wiring harness (just one) and Duramax/Allison ECM/TCM, everything else will already be there in the Tahoe. The gas and diesel wiring systems are very close to the same.

Since that article was published, I've heard from a couple others who reported that new salvage components are difficult to locate. I suspect that the Duramax Suburban article played some part in the shortage. Also, patience is a virtue. Damaged & salvaged new trucks and SUV's don't come in on a regular basis, but they do come in occasionally. The key is to be persistent and patient when contacting the salvage centers.

Good luck,

MP