PDA

View Full Version : Movin on up

Tom Hallock
06-01-2004, 09:37
Hi everyone. Am very interested in picking up a newer truck real soon. Have a 96 Chevy 3/4 TD. Its getting long in the tooth an can't pull much weight, (8600#). With fifth wheels weighing in at 12000#+ these days. So what do you suggest. Chevy -Ford or Dodge. I prefer the 2002 Chev. Truck with the Duramax an Allison Tranny. Though will try to keep an open mind. I would like to get at least a 2002 an if the numbers aren't too far out there; a 2003. What is the towing weight on these trucks, also, what add-ons should I look at for performance. What size is their fuel tanks an is a dual tank recommended. Especially as how I hate to fill up twice a day.
When I got the 96 I was able to convince the wife that diesel was better, an got it. Now, we want a 1 ton an (gee they're all dually's) so she is grudgingly going along with that. Wanted to get an M2 Freightliner but she put her foot down on that one.
So any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

Tom Hallock

More Power
06-01-2004, 10:35
For those who are open to all three brands of trucks, I recommend you spend some time in each - preferrably the same model year and basic equipment list.

Any of the '02 model GM, Ford or Dodge will be up to the task - engine wise. I'd stay away from the '02 Dodge automatic, however.

No matter what you eventually get, drive it stock for a period of time. This'll get you acquainted with how it runs and performs in its original form. Then when/if you add a power mod, you'll have a baseline of experience to evaluate the truck's performance.

Good luck,

MP

Heartbeat Hauler
06-03-2004, 09:15
I know you said money is a consideration, but Chevy has a new model out now that is a 3500 (1 ton) in a single rear wheel configuration. Having said that, a 2500HD w/ the Dmax/Alli configuration should give you all the pull you want. I myself have an 01 dually and love it, except for few ammenities that have since been fixed in the newer models. If you go with a dually get a louvered Vgate tailgate first thing. This will save you from backing over Honda Civics that pull up very close at traffic lights...yes I backed over one because I couldn't see him over the stock tailgate... Also, my truck has the 3.73 gears and does quite well pulling our 5ver, but it only weighs in at 9500lbs...loaded. With the 2500HD I think you can get 4.10s, but even with a 12K trailer I'm not sure they are required. Good luck shopping.... :D
JP

Keith Richards
06-04-2004, 20:00
If you dont want the dually,I had an 98 dually and got rid of it because of the obvious width and manuverability reasons. The new 2500hd can handle a bit more than our 6.5 2500's.It seems to be a 1 ton with 3/4 badging,by the weight claims.enjoy.

tswartos
06-08-2004, 14:11
Originally posted by More Power:
For those who are open to all three brands of trucks, I recommend you spend some time in each - preferrably the same model year and basic equipment list.

Any of the '02 model GM, Ford or Dodge will be up to the task - engine wise. I'd stay away from the '02 Dodge automatic, however.

No matter what you eventually get, drive it stock for a period of time. This'll get you acquainted with how it runs and performs in its original form. Then when/if you add a power mod, you'll have a baseline of experience to evaluate the truck's performance.

Good luck,

MP Right-o MP!

I recently received a salesmen license to make some dough on the side and am a computer guy by day...but have had the opportunity to drive all three makes and most of newer model years out of personal diesel lover curiousity. Quite frankly, its a matter of personal preference (ride, goodies, upgradeable parts, etc)...if your used to the GM truck ride, the Ford may disappoint you unless u upgrade shocks or just get used to it and well, Dodge has always rode like a buckboard (even under load). Take 'em all out for a spin and see for yourself...if u get lucky try to find a used truck that can hook up ton your setup and test drive under load. Yoy'll sign a check within minutes! Good luck and good hunting.

btw - unless your pulling a real top-heavy or tall unit you shouldnt really need the drw

Tom Hallock
06-12-2004, 17:15
Well I've checked a 2003 Dodge Qual an a 2003 Chevy. CC with DA that had all the bells an whistles. Including Sat radio an On Star, memory seats an who knows what all; and I'm almost sold on that one. But, because the cost is high ( $38,000 ) even though kbb.com says thats about right for that truck with everything on it. We're going to check on 2004 Chevy's with D?A, dually an a few nice accessories. Will have to wait an see. Purshae though will be sometime this week hopefully.

Tom Hallock

Tom Hallock
06-13-2004, 06:28
Actually don't think all three are equal. Chevrolet has more pulling power than Ford or Dadge, also has better brakes an for a diesel is quieter. Dodge pulls more than an Ford but a couple of hundred pounds less pulling than a Chevy. And Ford, well I'll just leave that alone.
Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest with all you Ford owner's out there. My brother an nepthew both own Fords.
Speaking of my nepthew, he tells me that " if you love the Lord you'll drive a Ford". but, I say But if your load is heavy you'll buy a Dodge. Etc etc etc.

Tom Hallock
06-19-2004, 10:02
OK no longer looking. Was already to get a 2002 Chevy 8.1 but after getting run around from dealer, walked away from it. An will take possession on first truck looked at, next Friday.
Am getting a 2003 1ton with D/A, 34K miles an of course rest of warrenty. Overall warranty is good for another 2 years. Don't know if I want an extended warranty to extend another 3 years, especially as I'll be paying for it for 6 years. Any ideas?
Rest of truck comes with all the bells an whstles, from OnStar to heated seats. Only knew about the seats; because, as we were driving back to he dealer the seats started getting hotter an hotter. Now in El Paso thats not unusal but they were really hot. Asked wife to check manual an sure enough, we had em.
We'll put the truck to a test the next day as we're heading north to Santa Fe an Denver to see family before heading to Jefferson City for a new job for 3 month's, Boy, will I miss the heat. NOT

Tom Hallock