PDA

View Full Version : Exploding spare tire!!!

Jim@CFT
09-24-2003, 04:44
As I was servicing the 95 C2500 this morning, I noticed the spare tire has exploded! The center of the gator/explosion is right at the apex of the exhaust tailpipe as it turns and heads for the rear quarter panel. I thought there was a loud bang from under the truck this past weekend!! I guess 1200* EGT for sustained periods of time are too much for an 80 psi spare 2 inches away. You might be well advised to check this item when servicing or having any of the turned up trucks serviced.

Cowracer
09-24-2003, 06:50
with 1200 degree EGT's for a sustained period, you probably have more to worry about that a tire exploding.

rjschoolcraft
09-24-2003, 08:12
I have many towing miles with pre-turbo egt between 1200 and 1300 deg sustained. No problems.

bnmccoy
09-24-2003, 12:58
I have the Jardine exhaust which uses the original exhaust hanger rubber blocks; but, the 1/2" rod welded to the pipe did not have the original style "barbs" on the end where pushed into the rubber hanger...

One time (many years ago) when servicing the truck I noticed that the tail pipe had slipped out (but not quite all the way) of one of the rear hangers. Only think that kept it from going all the way was the spare tire which now sports a burned indention into the tread; about 3/4 to 1" worse case. Not bad enough for me to replace the spare. Guess I'm lucky it didn't blow up!

Bob