PDA

View Full Version : Any changes for the 2006 HD trucks

Swamp Rabbit
04-24-2005, 04:31
Anybody have any info about any upcoming changes for either the LLY engine or the 2006 HD trucks? smile.gif

koolgt
04-26-2005, 10:26
new motor in 06 not sure if theres any body changes or cosmetic changes

Swamp Rabbit
04-27-2005, 12:53
Thanks for the info. smile.gif

More Power
04-27-2005, 14:30
Part of the reason we couldn't get a truck plant tour this summer, as part of the Rendezvous, was because the assembly lines will be in transition to the new GMT900 series trucks in the June/July/August period. This would indicate a change in sheet metal and.....

For quite a while now, there has been talk about Chevy and GMC diverging in their overall design - to make them more brand specific, with the GMC being more high-end of the two. This process has been pushed back for a couple model years now, but who knows, this could be the year. smile.gif

MP

Quack_Addict
04-28-2005, 07:45
It's hard to say when the 900 will coming out... it keeps getting pushed back. GM has always staggered launches of the pickup trucks and the various SUV body derivatives, with the SUV's following the pickups by up to a couple years. This might not be the case for this redesign. With the present state of GM, I wouldn't be surprised if the 800 has some new life breathed into it - as the full size trucks and SUV's are the big $$$ makers for them right now.

OC_DMAX
04-28-2005, 14:52
I would think GM needs to get the "900" platform vehicles to market as quick as possible (both SUV and truck).

Craig M
04-29-2005, 12:23
The bean counters are telling GM that producing both Chevrolet and GMC trucks is a waste of money. They want only one pickup truck line from GM not two. Oldsmobile is already gone, is GMC pickup trucks next?

More Power
04-29-2005, 12:33
I can't imagine a scenario where either the GMC dealers or the Chevy dealers would give up their pickup trucks....

Chevy has always sold more pickups than GMC, but GMC has always been brand oriented toward trucks.

I've always thought it silly to have both Chevy and GMC pickups that were essentially identical (except for some minor cosmetic front treatments). Would be good if the General had but one F/S pickup truck, if for nothing else than to take the "top selling" truck claim away from Ford.

MP

[ 05-04-2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Chevy Ryan
05-04-2005, 07:20
The Allison becomes a 6-speed for 2006. RPO code is MW7. Don't have any more details; I found this in the 2006 ordering guide. The first trucks to get the GMT 900 platform will be the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade. They will be publicly shown at the Detroit Auto Show in Jan. 2006. Pickups will follow for 2008 model year, but not sure if 1500 and HD will debut together.

bobo
05-04-2005, 14:02
I would love to see some other diesel models available in the 900 SUV chassis. An inline 6 or V-6 Diesel for light duty trucks and suv's would be perfect!! I'd even buy a Trailblaizer with a diesel! It would be nice to see a 2500hd suburban w/ Duramax/Allison too. We'll have to wait and see!

--Bob

D-max Man
05-12-2005, 06:35
I have been told that there are several changes for the 2006 D-Max. The fuel injectors, heads, Beefier block etc.

I don't have any details yet but it is a reliable source.
It is supposed to start production sometime in June of 2005. (It will still have the LLY RPO).

Ray Smith
05-13-2005, 20:08
If my memory serves me correctly, back in the old days (1940s to early 50s) there was a considerable difference between GMC and Chevrolet. The GMC was a much heavier duty truck. Again, if I remember right the Chevrolet had a splash oiling system and the GMC was pressurized. I believe that there was other hardware differences as well. If I were the General this is how I would allocate the different styles of pick-ups and SUVs.

Chevrolet - 1500 and 1500 HD 2500 LD series of pick-ups and SUVs

GMC - 2500 HD and higher series of pick-ups, SUVs and medium duty trucks.

Cadillac - Luxury pick-ups and SUVs

Just my .02 cents.

Ray

rjschoolcraft
05-14-2005, 06:20
Well,

I would do away with GMC altogether and just have Chevrolet. The Chevy styling is always better...going all the way back to the fifties. I don't know where the "splash" oiling talk comes from, but for my lifetime the trucks have been the same mechanically with minor styling differences...GMC getting the ugly treatment. And the nonesense about GMC being the high-end line...just that.

Inspector
05-14-2005, 08:35
I had a 41 chev business coup when I was in HS. It originally had a slinger engine in it and vacume shift. We swapped in a 52 chev power glide engine with pressure oiling and a regular three on the tree. I believe that the first year for the inline six with pressure oiling was in 52. Some out there older than me would know for sure.
Denny

Ray Smith
05-14-2005, 15:06
Hi Ron,

You are correct, in your lifetime there probably was not allot of difference between the Chev and GMC. I see you were born in the mid 60's and if memory serves me correctly there were some minor differences in engines. I think GMC offered a big cube V-6 (that was a real gas hog by the way) and I also believe that Chevys had coil springs in the rear versus GMC which had leaves. My post was actually about the GMC / Chevy differences back in the late 40s to early 50s. Here is a link that does a good job illustrating the differences between the two. The GMC was a physically heavier duty truck than the Chevy.

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0375.html

Best regards,

Ray

rjschoolcraft
05-14-2005, 16:20
You're right, that was before my time.

We had a 65 GMC grain truck with a 351 V-6 for a while.

The 67-72 Chevy/GMC C10 pickups had coil springs in the rear, but leafs were a rare option. I've seen some of both in both brands.

mhagie
05-14-2005, 16:28
First year for the full pressure oiling was the 54 powerglide.
The slinger engines were eguiped with babbit bearings and had oil pressures of 15 cold, 7.5
hot, the full pressure ones 30 cold 15 hot.
I had a 53 chev with the oil pressure gauge of 0-15, put in a 54 engine and gauge was always pegged.
My late brother was a service mgr at a GMC dealership till the mid 80's and he told me that at that time all pickups were made by Chevrolet, the 1 1/2 and up trucks made by GMC.
Won't argue about the older units but in my mind since 1990 the GMC with that red letter grille has been the better looking of the two.
Darn this is making me feel old remembering when I started driving there were no FM radios, no a/c,no seatbelts and an auto trans was the exception rather than the rule. :D
Merle

tanker
05-14-2005, 16:31
To Denny, If my mind serves me right, the 216 cubic inch engine had the poured babbit bearings in the connecting rods, so you could remove shims when the bearings had a lot of wear.This had the dippers on the end of the rod cap, and the little trays in the oil pan for the oil to be scooped up. In 1953 with the powerglide transmission (2 speed) the engine had insert bearings which I think was the first 235 cubic inch engine, which could be identified by the four screws holding the valve cover to the head. The 216 had two acorn nuts on two studs that helped hold the rocker shaft to the head. Also oil was fed to the rocker shaft via a special bolt which allowed oil to feed the rockers.
I did a lot of work on these engines back in the early 60's, so I may be off a little, as its been many moons since I worked on one.
Sorry to get off topic, but had to do it anyway. ;)

mhagie
05-15-2005, 07:40
Tanker, U B right 53 powerglide was the first, 54 was the 235 in all models.
Merle

Kennedy
05-15-2005, 08:06
Not to intentionally steer this back on topic as it's all very interesting, the one scenario that I have heard is new front work (again) on the GMT800 body trucks...

koolgt
05-15-2005, 14:08
Originally posted by D-max Man:
I have been told that there are several changes for the 2006 D-Max. The fuel injectors, heads, Beefier block etc.

I don't have any details yet but it is a reliable source.
It is supposed to start production sometime in June of 2005. (It will still have the LLY RPO). more than a few changes, its almost a whole new engine, i have tons of details considering weve been running test engines for the last couple months but its nice, its gonna start during july shutdown, we are getting one week instead of 2 weeks so that we have time to swich over, do line changes, only one person on this site knows and neither me nor the other person will speak a word

Kennedy
05-15-2005, 18:21
more than a few changes, its almost a whole new engine, i have tons of details considering weve been running test engines for the last couple months but its nice, its gonna start during july shutdown, we are getting one week instead of 2 weeks so that we have time to swich over, do line changes, only one person on this site knows and neither me nor the other person will speak a word Awe come on...

rjschoolcraft
05-15-2005, 21:58
He would likely get fired if he did.

Kennedy
05-16-2005, 04:53
In public I suppose, but under the table...

D-max Man
05-17-2005, 06:46
When I asked what was new for 2006, I was told "almost everything", but as koolgt said, we can't give out more details. I don't want my scources of info. to stop telling me what is new or to get them into trouble so I am must keep it quiet for a while.

It will be on the market soon and then we can let it out.

hd90rider
05-22-2005, 17:41
So are these changes in the motor to be in the O6 models or not till mid year again as they did in 04 ?

D-max Man
05-22-2005, 17:57
They will start production in June 2005.

jsmiracle
05-24-2005, 09:13
I have a Chevy 2500HD D/A on order. I was told today that it has a "build" date of 6/13. Does anyone know if it will be the new or old engine design?

Thanks,
Jim

Karl
06-04-2005, 07:19
What hapened to the Dmax employees? Everyone is
really closed mouth about the '06 HD's. I have one
on order and the only thing my dealer can tell me that's new, is the 6 speed Allison. So I did some
internet research. The new additions to the engine
have only been talked about in the '06 Van's,which
are rated at 250 hp and 4L80 or 85 tranny, not the Allison. The '05 SEMA show had a Chevrolet concept2500HD pickup that was rated at 700 ftlbs for the Dmax, maybe that rumor came from the SEMA show?

If you do a search using Dmax Engine or '06, you can retrieve an article about additions to the engine,which seem to be related mostly to emissions tarting,egr,noise,driving,etc and the '06 Van's. A fellow @ gm.com returned my e-mail saying he could only tell me the '06 models will have the '06 engines, and the new engines will have an MY designation.My dealer tells me he will have my truck sometime in July, but has'nt even got pricing from GM yet. I don't guess this clears anything up about the '06HD product line, why won't anyone speak up? What is the MY application? What's the big secret?? Maybe no one really knows???

[ 06-04-2005, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Karl ]

mdadgar
06-04-2005, 13:06
Karl, you should probably remove that GM employee's email address from your post so that he doesn't start getting a ton of spam, courtesy of the 'bots that sweep the web looking for email addresses.

- Mark

More Power
06-04-2005, 13:32
I first heard the phrase, "Loose Lips Sink Ships", while I was in the USN.

GM increased the power in the Duramax a couple of years ago in preparation for the LLY introduction, and a couple someones posted those power specs appeared right here in this BB well in advance. Ford reads this site, and saw the proposed numbers, which then incremented their 6.0L power to slightly above the upcoming model-year Duramax. This forced GM to go back to the drawing board and re-certify $$$ the emissions for yet another power/tq increase.

MP

socaltoolguy
06-04-2005, 16:28
Hey guys, I am ignorant about what you are referring to when you talk about 800 or 900 series. What are the designations referring to? I usually can figure out what you are talking about if I read far enough but this time I don't get it.

JD Diesel
06-04-2005, 18:37
yeah I'm with ray what is the 800 and 900 :confused:

rjschoolcraft
06-04-2005, 18:58
GMT 800 was the internal product designation for the 1998 - current trucks. GMT 900 is the designation for the next generation.

Karl
06-05-2005, 08:10
Anybody know what the "MY" apllication designates?
The GM employee's website was posted for everyone
to see in the article about the '06 upgrades to the
Dmax,plus his phone #. I thought at the time it was
a little too public. When I posted, I just spaced,I
really didn't think about it since all of it was public info in the article, but I agree I didn't need
to help the invasion of his privacy. Thank Jim for the ability to edit our posts.

White Truck
06-05-2005, 08:49
MY = Model Year

Karl
06-05-2005, 12:21
MY= model year, DUH, do I feel stupid!!!!

koolgt
06-06-2005, 14:23
GM is very tight lipped about these motors, i have heard stuff, the greatest thing i saw was the new 06s have twisted many dyno shafts:) thats power

Spartus
06-06-2005, 17:00
At my shop I've hear that the rear axle is getting an upgrade to it too, in order to help survive from the new torque #'s.

Jim Brzozowski
06-07-2005, 08:33
AW come oooonnnn. You're scaring the other guys. The DMAX is not really that powerful. IS IT?

tennykimble
06-07-2005, 14:38
but the real question is will the new engine really be better?? take for example the lb7 compaired to the lly, the lly has better power but it also has more emissions junk on it,( like a catelitic converter) and from what im seeing on this forum, the lly's are getting terrible mileage (compaired to the lb7). im looking to buy a d-max and im really thinking about buying an 04 lb7, with intake, exaust and a minor chip (or turer box) it will be close to the lly rating, without all of the waisted fuel! i think i'll wait to see the new 06 engine before i make any rash decisions. what do u guys think? :confused:

Dave
06-08-2005, 02:37
My 05 it's way to early to compair mpg. So far it does look like the LLY gets about 3 mpg less. I really need to get 5,000 plus miles on the LLY to do a better compairison.

glamisboy
06-10-2005, 19:21
I was considering "scooping" up an '05 3500 for these good prices they got. But after reading this, it's got me thinking twice, maybe I should wait & see what an '06 is gonna be.

OC_DMAX
06-11-2005, 04:49
Kenny and Glamisboy,

Personally, I would go with a 2006. Too many changes in both the transmission and engine to be thinking about a 2004 or 2005. If you are going to get a DMAX (or any diesel for that case), I would make the move in 2006 and NOT IN 2007. The year 2007 is the next step in diesel emission changes. I am considering trading off my 2002 for a 2006 (just thinking about it at this point). Probably the only thing holding me back is the re-styling of the trucks in 2007-2008 timeframe.

Just my opinion of course,
Alan

glamisboy
06-11-2005, 08:33
I was reading on another popular forum about the real possibility of some "BIG" changes. They were saying somewhere around the last week of June it will be "official". Whats another 2 weeks, heck, we've been d'max-less for 23 months !!

Called the dealer this morning asking if they had any 411 on the '06's. I was talking to them yesterday about an '05.

How am I gonna explain this to the better half ?? She was the one suggesting buy now because of the "huge" savings. If it is official b-4 July, then we should have about a week timeframe to decide. And if no one has white one ?? Guess we'll have to go '06 !!

turbovair
06-11-2005, 10:01
Getting back to GMS vs Chevy, my 96 has an RPO code in the glovebox basically stating that my Chevy is a "converted" GMC. Do all Chevy pickups start out as GMC's (at GMC plants) and get converted on an "as required" basis on the assembly line? Mine did.

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2005, 11:25
Originally posted by turbovair:
Getting back to GMS vs Chevy, my 96 has an RPO code in the glovebox basically stating that my Chevy is a "converted" GMC. Do all Chevy pickups start out as GMC's (at GMC plants) and get converted on an "as required" basis on the assembly line? Mine did. Interesting. I would figure it the other way around. There are 10 times more Chevy's, so it would be logical the plants would primarily be Chevy. Your case may be very rare. What is the RPO code?

I have seen a new, unsold truck with a Chevy badge on one door, and GMC on the other. The Chevy dealer didn't know it until I pointed it out. It also had a Chevy pricing sticker, grill, tailgate, and dash. I've seen several Fords with F150/F250/F350 badges on the same truck. I've never paid any attention to Dodge, but they may be doing it, as well.

[ 06-11-2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]

Dsl_Chevy_Don
06-11-2005, 19:31
Just a quick note on mileage on the LLY vs LB7 engines. Traded in the 2001 Crew K3500 D/A on a 2005 K3500 Crew D/A with the LLY Engine. The 01 got around 15.5 city, 18 hwy(over 70), 21 hwy (kept at or below 2000 RPM). The new one gets 12.9 city and 15.9 hwy. Haven't passed 500 miles yet so don't know what the 70-75 mph will get. Really runs nice though.

glamisboy
06-12-2005, 08:18
Just a thought, do you think GM might offer an exhaust brake on the '06 25/3500 D'max ?? The medium duty D'max comes with a factory exhaust brake.

That would definetly one-up dodge & ford.

turbovair
06-12-2005, 17:00
DMax Maverick....

The RPO code listed is X88 "Conversion Name Plate Chevrolet" Maybe Im reading more into this than I should....???