PDA

View Full Version : NEW and CONFUSED

PLUMMER
04-24-2005, 12:47
New here to the site, was refered by a friend from Indiana that this is a great place to do some research for a new truck. I'm considering a new duramax Diesel 4 door Loaded. I have always been a GM fan but here in Southeast Michigan it is impossible to find a good dealer. I have talked to a good friend here in Romeo and was told that GM doesn't warranty any new trucks with tires 2 sizes larger,lift, or with anytype of Programer. I wan't to build a MPG project Diesel with some good power. Milage is more important than than being the fastest. I travel up north alot and only tow snowmobiles and ATV's- 4 place aluminum enclosed. I currently own a 2001 6.5 TD work van and a 99 1500 Silverado (homeowner version). I've been waiting for good incentives or anything new that might come out. I plan on spending up to 5k to enhance the performance and suspension at first, then go from there. Now that I am told about the voided warranty , I'm really hessitant to jump into anything. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks Dave

DmaxMaverick
04-24-2005, 13:26
Welcome to the forums, Plummer!

You have reason to be concerned. GM is a little(?) anal about mod's and warranty claims, to say the least. They are, however, dependant on individual dealer's interpretation of the policies. GM's bulletin on tire size says that ANY tire size, other than OEM, will prevent any warranty diagnostics. It does not mean the claim will be denied, or any warranty will be voided.

GM cannot "void" any warranty. The mod concerns have to be related to the system being diagnosed. Same goes for power adders. They cannot deny a claim that your radio button fell off due to power increases (although some dealers take that approach).

Any mod you do will put the responsibility of that system on you. Your relationship with your service manager will effect your warranty concerns more than anything else. Most of them are reasonable. Some of them have given the rest a bad name. The "bad apple" thing.

Another approach is the "Don't ask. Don't tell". What your dealer doesn't know about your mod's won't make him ask questions that may hurt your claim. There is a certain degree of personal resposibility and integrity involved with that. I have an excellent service manager, but I don't tell him anything he doesn't need to know. He is OK with my oversize tires and Mega fuel filter because he is reasonable. He wouldn't cheat GM for me, but he doesn't look for reasons to deny a claim. Search out a good service dept. There are many out there.

I hope this sheds some light on your confusion.

madmatt
04-24-2005, 14:53
Well put Maverick. Like dmaxmaverick said, treat your service dept w/ respect and you can probably expect the same. But don't add a 6" lift and 36" tires and expect to get a vibration looked at under warranty. Get where I'm going??? :D

PLUMMER
04-24-2005, 18:39
Yes, I understand the obvious, but the 4 closest dealers here have the bulletins posted and the attitude that all problems are the customers fault because of any change from OEM. It has already happened with the silverado with the BFG's 295's or 285's.Claime dit voided drive train. Also I had to pay for my first injection pump on my stock 6.5TD work truck. Later I was reimbursed from GM with a recall letter. I don't want a wild mod just slight improvements. 2-4" lift, slightly larger tires. Mods to get better milage(gears or reprograming). You would think that rather than voiding out an entire warranty and definately guaranteeing the loss of a repeat customer as well as GM product. They would try to help or be more open minded with these 40k+ trucks. I am not looking for them to break rules but in the yuppie area I am in they would rather me by a econo car.

pontiac_m18
04-24-2005, 19:15
HI PLUMMER & GOOD to see a fellow Michigander!! I live in the Clarkston area & will double check with my dealer for ya. Bowman Chevrolet at M-15 & U.S 10. Will get back you real soon! Howard

PLUMMER
04-28-2005, 04:46
Thanks for the welcome..... Appreciate you checking....I spoke with a saleman this week and they said no problem sure they would take care of me .. but I went there cuz I just plumbed out one of the mechanics houses and he says different and its out of thier hans usually. Up to the service manager for the tire decision.

Kennedy
04-28-2005, 06:24
Keep the stock tires handy for any potential service complications.

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2005, 09:44
Originally posted by kennedy:
Keep the stock tires handy for any potential service complications. That's what I do. My S/M says we'll have to put them on if we involve the area rep. for any powertrain ussues. The only issue with taller tires I've had is the Duramax tech at the dealership. He's no Shaq, and usually airs them down to work under the hood.

MIKE WIENER
04-28-2005, 11:32
OK you say go back to stock for warinty. Well I just came in from gitting my work truck servesed at the dealer. While I whait for it I walk the lot Just to see whats out there.

On the lot are severil modified trucks. The one 2500HD I toke a closer look at. Had a 6" lifted suspention, tires Big inuf for a monster truck,cold air intake,Hypertic mod,and more bling and sound. All listed on the sub sticker. So how is this stock at one dealer and not another? :confused:

MIKE

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2005, 11:42
Originally posted by MIKE WIENER:
OK you say go back to stock for warinty. Well I just came in from gitting my work truck servesed at the dealer. While I whait for it I walk the lot Just to see whats out there.

On the lot are severil modified trucks. The one 2500HD I toke a closer look at. Had a 6" lifted suspention, tires Big inuf for a monster truck,cold air intake,Hypertic mod,and more bling and sound. All listed on the sub sticker. So how is this stock at one dealer and not another? :confused:

MIKE Those vehicles are dealer specific outfitted. They don't come from the factory that way. The dealer sends them to an outfitter or performance shop to have those mod's installed. You would have the same issues trying to get service done at a different dealer than the one you bought the modified truck. Some dealers do it, some don't. Some dont' care, some are real anal.

MIKE WIENER
04-28-2005, 15:59
I Know this is some thing that dealers have done. It is encurigied by gm as they have a departmint that is there to help dealers with owners personalize there new car or truck. the point I was bring up as a GM otherized dealer they can not sell you some thing that voids your warenty before you drive off the lot. I think that is probably eligal to.

MIKE

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2005, 17:22
GM upfitters don't install parts that will void your GM warranty. What they sell is stuff like custom bodies, "luxury appointments", etc. They don't do suspension or powertrain mod's for light trucks. The custom work done for those trucks you saw on the lot was from an independent performance shop, or installed in the dealer's shop. They risk carrying their own warranty claims when GM denies a claim due to one of their upgrades. If you buy a modified truck from that lot, and try to have a warranty repair done at another dealer that doesn't approve, you will have to return to the orignal dealer, or to a dealer that approves of the mod. Nothing illegal about it, but GM doesn't encourage it.

madmatt
04-29-2005, 18:53
The only issue with taller tires I've had is the Duramax tech at the dealership. He's no Shaq, and usually airs them down to work under the hood.
air'em down? Hell, I take'em off and set'er down on the ground. At only 5'10" I need all the help I can get!

pepper
05-08-2005, 13:06
mike needs spell check!!!

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2005, 14:05
Originally posted by pepper:
mike needs spell check!!! Excellent observation, Pepper....

Read all the posts on all the forums (especially those in the member's section...those guys are really bad!), then come back with a list of all those you think could benefit from a spell checker. Proofread all the posts and reply with editing suggestions. Better yet, edit all of them yourself, then we can just skip the whole spell checker thing entirely.

JD Diesel
05-09-2005, 17:13
ha ha ha ah haha i like that one hee hee hee eeeh

Jomar
05-15-2005, 19:59
JD DIESEL, do you know where Walkers Specialties is in Loma Linda. It`s about 1/4 mile west of Mountain View on Redlands Blvd. He`s a good friend of 50 yrs and has a welding - fabricating shop there.

JD Diesel
05-15-2005, 21:25
JOMAR No have never been there before . I am new to this side of the valley. lived over in devore. But will go byu one and check it out. :D

Jomar
05-16-2005, 17:25
JD DIESEL, ok, just thought you might have been by there. Don Walker is a good friend of mine but he sure can`t catch fish.