PDA

View Full Version : caterpillar fuel filter

tennykimble
04-26-2005, 16:11
problem with dirty fuel? i have found a way to almost eliminate or do away with this problem for good, i work at a caterpillar dealership and i have done some research and talked to some people who have done this before and found a set up that lets you put a cat fuel filter on you d-max. Why use to cat filter? Because its just a plain better filter. for example the stock filter filter out up to 8 - 10 microns the cat filter filters out 2-3 microns !! (this is the cat high efficiency fuel filter) i will put up pictures and parts lists as soon as i can, my scanners on the fritz. it is a relativley simple install, basically i put it in line between the tank and the lift pump ( on the frame) i promise i will get the pictures up asap. later :cool:

MIKE MOG
04-26-2005, 16:31
HI KENNY,
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THOSE PICS AND WHERE DID YOU GET THE PARTS TO DO THIS?
MIKE

tennykimble
04-26-2005, 17:34
i got the parts at the caterpillar dealsership i work at, but you can purchase them at any cat dealership (again) i'll give you a parts list so you can purchase the parts needed for the conversion i'll put the pics up as soon as i can my scanner is on the fritz

jbplock
04-27-2005, 02:47
Do a forum search on "CAT Fuel Filters" for more info.

Also see the following: ISO Fuel Test results.

Duramax ISO Fuel Test Results – PDF (http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf)

Aftermarket high efficiency 2-micron fuel filters that have been used by various forum members include the JK Mega Filter (Baldwin), CAT, RACOR & Stanadyne.

smile.gif

Kennedy
04-27-2005, 05:48
Originally posted by kenny:
problem with dirty fuel? i have found a way to almost eliminate or do away with this problem for good, i work at a caterpillar dealership and i have done some research and talked to some people who have done this before and found a set up that lets you put a cat fuel filter on you d-max. Why use to cat filter? Because its just a plain better filter. for example the stock filter filter out up to 8 - 10 microns the cat filter filters out 2-3 microns !! (this is the cat high efficiency fuel filter) i will put up pictures and parts lists as soon as i can, my scanners on the fritz. it is a relativley simple install, basically i put it in line between the tank and the lift pump ( on the frame) i promise i will get the pictures up asap. later :cool: What vehicle is this with a frame mounted lift pump?

tennykimble
05-01-2005, 10:06
ok guys i think i got it, just click on my name then click on the link (to photos) im putting them up as quick as i can thanx for your patience , i still have more pictuse to put up
Part description - Part number
Housing - 1N 3789
Cover - 6N 4414
Gasket - 9Y 8389
Plug - 9S 4182
Seal - 6V 5048
filter - Short - 1R 0750
filter - Taller- 1R 0749

2 fitting adapters
2 o-rings
cant remember part numbers they should be able to look them up for you at the dealership. They go from 9/16 stor-boss to

tennykimble
05-01-2005, 10:11
to kennedy, i didnt explain correctly,.. i meant i put the filter set up between the tank and the lift pump , but i mounted the filter setup ON the frame i didnt mean that the lift pump was on the frame my mistake

DmaxMaverick
05-01-2005, 11:51
Nice install, Kenny.

I don't think copper tubing is such a good idea, though. The fuel will cause corrosion inside the tubing, and soft copper has a bad habbit of cracking when subjected to temp swings and vibrations your fuel system sees. Your filter media will be green in no time. It will probably be OK for now, but you should plan an upgrade in your near future. Use anealed aluminum, steel, or stainless steel. Even anealed copper is better, but will still break down after a while. Most "kits" include hose for these connections, which would be better than copper. My personal choice would be stainless steel. Cost wouldn't be a real issue with no more than you are using.

You see a lot of copper tubing on old tractors. Barnyard repairs usually involved whatever was lying around. Ever wonder where all that green slime in the bowls came from?

tennykimble
05-02-2005, 07:44
thanks for the heads up maveric- i put this on my neibhors truck and he insisted on copper tubing i didnt think id have a problem - maybe i'll convince him to use stainless or aluminum
(i was gonna use diesel resistant rubber line)
thank again for the heads up!!!! much appreciated
p.s. will it hurt the trucks fuel syatem to leave the copper line on? (for now)
kenny

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2005, 08:01
I suggest changing it ASAP. I don't know the effect the oxides of copper will have on the system. Could be good or bad, but the unknown factor would compel me not to leave it to chance. Who knows? It could add lubrication to the fuel. Corrosives usually spawn other forms of corrosion depending on the metalic and electrical properties involved, so I would have to say it's not a good thing. Just too many unknowns.

tennykimble
05-02-2005, 13:45
maveric- i have a question though - the oxidation process only occours in contact with air (right?) if it only occours in contact with air, then the inside of the line will not corrode because the line is filled with fuel. correct? what do u think? im not doubting you just wanting a clear answer thanx for your time kenny

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2005, 21:39
The fuel contains air, as well as moisture. Moreso because it is under vacuum from the tank to the fuel pump by design, creating a condition of outgassing, slight as it may be. The corrosion is not only caused by air, but electrolysis, which copper is very sensitive to. It looks like the tubing is isolated by brass fittings, but it will still occur.

Kennedy
05-03-2005, 06:21
Originally posted by kenny:
to kennedy, i didnt explain correctly,.. i meant i put the filter set up between the tank and the lift pump , but i mounted the filter setup ON the frame i didnt mean that the lift pump was on the frame my mistake FYI, there is no lift pump aside from the transfer pump in the injection pump.

I too would recommend replacing the copper with a good hose.

JD Diesel
05-03-2005, 18:09
can we just cross match a cat filter to fit where reg filter goes??????????

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2005, 19:09
Originally posted by JD Diesel:
can we just cross match a cat filter to fit where reg filter goes?????????? Nope. Racor has the only option for their housing. There may come a time when other mfg's are allowed to market them, but for now and the foreseable future, no.

tanker
05-04-2005, 01:04
Kenny, I too would not use the copper tubing due to vibration. Also using brass compression fittings with the "short" hex nuts are a source of vacuum leaks down the road. Use a good steel hydraulic tubing with steel fittings, or a double flare fitting. Hose may also be a good choice.
Nice install on the frame rail. smile.gif

tennykimble
05-04-2005, 04:15
ok guys heres what i found out, while i was searching around for aluminum or steel pipe, i found the label off of the role of copper tubing i used and it said this and i quote
"use for water service, fuel/fuel oil, natural gas, liquified petroleum (lp) gas heating and air conditioning."
yes, i understand the consern with the vibration i'll try and get the guy to agree to change the lines, do you know where i can get 1/2 inch stainless line?

Nix
05-09-2005, 18:12
This location looks easier to work with in terms of filter replacement compared to the other type that puts the filter inside the passenger side fender liner, but I was wondering how well it is protected from road debris. Also, what about slush and snow etc. Just wondering. Thanks

tennykimble
05-09-2005, 18:28
if you do a search on my home page you will find other people that have done the same upgrade, they made custom covers ( which look very nice ) i put this set up on my neibhors truck, not mine so he has final say what goes on and what dosent, he only uses this truck on the highway he said hed worry about it later, he needs the truck right now. p.s. click on my name then the link in my profile, then click search and put something in like caterpillar fuel filter or something like that it should come up. kenny