PDA

View Full Version : EGR---Off

DURA-MAX3
07-29-2004, 08:39
A friend of mine just called me and he is a member of a Furd web site for the 6.0 PSD. They have figured out a way to turn the ERG valve off by disconnecting one of the wires. If they disconnect the wires while the motor is off it does not open or work at all. They have a lot of members that have done it. My friend has done it and now his truck does not have that turbo lag that everyone is complaining about. People I have talked to says that the lag is there because the EGR valve has to have time to close before boost can begin, hence the turbo lag feeling. I wish someone on here would figure out where the wire is on the duramax so I can turn mine off. It is so simple on the PSD that it is almost like they want you to do it. Lets figure this out guys and gals...

BassinRVer
07-29-2004, 09:45
Does all year model have the EGR valves or just 04

oyazi
07-29-2004, 15:23
My '02 w/CA emissions has it. I too would like a 'simple' method to disable it.

Inspector
08-02-2004, 18:25
I was over at Edge today and talked to Arron about two SES lights that occured while on a recent trip to Canada. At first he said that they occured because the edge in it zeal to produce more hp will cause more airflow and hence the Map sensor will throw a light occaisionlly on some trucks. Then I told him that it had EGR and he said that more than likly that the backpressure sensing of the ECM had tossed the light. He said that he wished that he could tell me what the fix would be but they haven't been able to pin it down. As I said it only happens on some trucks. I have to mention that I have removed the CAT and installed a non EGR downpipe. I have had one stall that immediatly restarted and he did want to hear from me if it happened again.
I asked him when would they do the forum again and he said that he just doesn't have the personel at this time to run the phones or the net. Maybe in the future it will be restarted.
He is a very pleasent person to talk to and would help if he can. They have moved into a new facility in Ogden and are still getting settled in. Really a nice place.
Denny

tpitt
08-03-2004, 12:44
Denny,
My truck threw an EGR code when they had it on the dyno at Edge. I've never gotten one since, but have been "babying" it until I upgrade my transmission. I am also going to put the cat back on it.
My old Lb7 never threw any EGR codes, but would throw a P0236, which is a boost circuit code. It would disappear as soon as I topped the hill, and wouldn't always come on. Terry

Inspector
08-03-2004, 20:50
Terry:
I think my SES comes on due to the backpressure thing. Last year I had the light come on a couple of times the very first time that I had the trailer hooked up and I called Edge from Cedar City Ut and they asked me if I had lost power when the light came on. I told them that the circumstance by which the light came on and they said as long as there wasn't any other problems associated with the light that I could continue on. The light would come and go. I have since had the light from time to time but only while towing. I haven't let bother me.
I'm sure that it is a back pressure thing as my truck is a Cal unit and I have taken the Cat off.
I am concerned about the single stall that I had last week and will be keeping an eye on that.
Denny

PghFamilyMan
08-08-2004, 23:43
Was on another forum and found this thread. Thought it might interest you guys here.

http://***********.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13040&PN=1

PghFamilyMan
08-08-2004, 23:47
I guess I can't past a link from another site. It is on The diesel place forum under Second Generation Duramax LLY 2004.5+

They talk about disconnecting the EGR and even show a Diagram on it.

Jon B.
08-09-2004, 09:56
Oyazi,

I've never heard of an LB7 w/ egr, not even CA. Did you mean '04 LLY?

OC_DMAX
08-09-2004, 14:59
Jon B.

All DMAX's sold within the State of California from year 2002 and beyond have come equipped with EGR and a CAT. I have a 2002 DMAX and it has the EGR/CAT (courtesy of CARB).

So,,, the LB7 in CA was sold with an EGR/CAT in 2002-2004 and the LLY in CA was sold with a EGR/CAT (though EGR is a different design than whats on the LB7) in 2004.5 and beyond. Year 2007 will be the next interesting model update (with respect to emissions).

rickdlance
08-11-2004, 17:22
I tried this on my truck. My empty mileage picked up 1-2 mpg on 2 tanks. My loaded mileage went down at least that much. Did I do something wrong? Any body else have this happen?

DURA-MAX3
08-11-2004, 20:56
Disconnected mine as they are talking about on the***********.com web-site. Finally this truck is running close to my old lb7 engine. No codes so far and the mileage is up about 1 1/2...

LanduytG
08-12-2004, 02:25
I wonder if the guy that are having poor economy might have something wrong i the egr ystem? I have unplugged mine but I can't see the economy doing anything different, but I already am getting god economy anyway.

Greg

DmaxMaverick
08-12-2004, 04:03
I don't see how economy would decline, or change at all, for that matter. The EGR system is only active at idle (or very little pedal input) and never under load. When the EGR is active, there will be zero boost. There may be an improvement if you removed all that dead weight and parasitic loss.

I suspect that making a change to the engine has also changed the weight of your right foot, if there has been a change to economy.

I can see how it would allow a quicker spool up of the turbo, though. Boost could build sooner because the loop would be closed already. No delay waiting for the EGR to disable.

DURA-MAX3
08-17-2004, 19:55
Whatever unplugging it has done it is good. This truck is now getting 16-17 mpg. Up at least 1-2 mpg's. And I don't have all that soot returning into my engine...That's a GOOD thing... smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

FlyRod
09-13-2004, 08:42
I spent an hour finding this thread so I could go back to the web site that had the great info on disconecting the EGR and I find the moderator has deleted it! GGGRRRRRRRR ..... Someone please email me at fly-rod@excite.com to let me know what WEB site this was that had the great EGR info.

[ 09-13-2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: FlyRod ]