PDA

View Full Version : Code P0093 Caused by wiring on trailer plug.????

PortCity05
04-27-2005, 20:13
Hi
We have a 2001 duramax crewcab with around 100,000 miles that towes a gooseneck trailer at times in Australia.
We have towed as a LHD vehicle & then as a RHD vehicle without any problems until we had an auto electricion fit a new Polac 7-pin trailer plug.
Soon after we noticed the engine warning light on ocasionally but took little notice as we thought it may have been the dirty battery terminals that have since been cleaned.
When we hooked up the trailer again we found the plug wiring causing havoc as the plug wiring was not right.
The plug wiring was rectified but now when we tow the engine light comes on after about 3 miles & losses power, although we continued to tow.
The code was found to be Code P0093
Can anyone tell me if the faulty wiring could have caused this problem & where should we start to look.
regards Terry

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2005, 22:05
Welcome to the forums!

P0093 is a general code for large fuel leak. The trailer wiring must be a coincidence, as the two systems have no common areas.

It could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter. I suggest you start by changing it.

If the problem continues, you may have more serious issues with the fuel injectors. Keep a close watch on your engine oil level and pressure. If your oil pressure drops below what has been normal, or your oil level increases, it could indicate an injector is leaking fuel into the crankcase, which is warranted by GM for 7 years or 200K miles on 2001-2002 models under the current bulletin. If you have the means, it wouldn't hurt to have an oil analysis done as soon as possible to be sure. Even if you are not getting fuel in the oil, high return rates have indicated injector failures.

Good luck.

PortCity05
04-29-2005, 20:57
Hi
Thanks for your prompt & accurate response.
Since my original message we thought we had cracked or melted a piston while towing in 90-100 degree heat.
The oil pressure got low so we pulled up & noticed a lot of oil washed under the truck from the breather overflow pipe, white smoke out the exhaust & a miss in the engine, assuming a damaged piston we got a tow home & prepared to remove the engine.
After reading your message I drained the oil to find about 10 gallons of oil/diesel in the sump indicating an injector failure ???
Can you sugest the best way to proceed from here, do we start the engine & use a pyrometer on the exhaust to find the bad injector.???
Also can you give me any more detail on the service bulletin regarding injector warranty.
I will remove both fuel & oil filters & cut them up to check for contamination.
Thanks for you help
regards Terry.

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2005, 22:02
STOP!!! Get that truck to an authorized GM dealer now. That failure is a textbook description of the covered failure. You will get 8 new injectors, in accordance with the bulletin. I know it's a pain in the arse, but GM is doing what is necessary to make good on a promise. Make sure you get what is coming to you.

Refer to this link (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lb7injectorwarranty.htm) for the info on the bulletin.

There should be no further explanation needed. I hope you can get GM to comply.