PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler lines

Gapper_ca
09-24-2003, 07:13
I have a 96 gmc 4x4 ext cab. i have noticed a very small amount of oil on the front cross member. i do believe that it is coming from the oil cooler lines. i have checked the oil level and all is fine. i am wondering at what point must they be replaced. also when i am getting this done are there any modifications that should be done as well??

BigMikeO
09-24-2003, 07:39
I have a 95 4x4 with leaking oil lines. I just ordered the Advanced Oil cooler lines that are listed on the product review page. I should be getting them by the end of the month. I have an earlier thread about Oil cooler and I will post there when I am done about any difficulties or ease of installation that I encountered during the replacement.

moose1
09-24-2003, 10:13
I too have leaking oil cooler lines on my 95 6.5td, my mechanic at this point said the leaks are not bad enough to warrent the cost of the lines and to just watch and add oil when needed.

LanduytG
09-24-2003, 11:22
Mike
You might be getting them before the end of the week. thjey are going out today. My supplier was fast than normally getting me the parts.
I hope to have the lines for the 96 and up real soon.

Greg

StephenA
09-24-2003, 12:27
Just a tip on oil cooler lines... I thought I was due for a replacement but after careful inspection, it turned out that all I needed was the 4x4 oil filter adapter seals, totaling less than 5 bucks. On 4x4s, the oil filter has an adapter that moves the oil filter out of the way of the forward drive train. When it leaks it drips oil on the front drive shaft which, upon spinning, spreads oil everywhere, including on the oil cooler lines just where they attach to the block. But watch it, cause if they're bad, they can dump oil in a hurry & leave the engine high & dry at high RPMs... -not a survivable incident for the engine.
Did anyone successfully complete a real after market upgrade for these yet? I know some were in the works.
Stephen

LanduytG
09-24-2003, 12:31
Yes their has been aftermarket ones abvailable. Look in the new products section.

Greg

BigMikeO
09-25-2003, 04:13
Originally posted by LanduytG:
Mike
You might be getting them before the end of the week. thjey are going out today. My supplier was fast than normally getting me the parts.
I hope to have the lines for the 96 and up real soon.

Greg Great, I can't wait until I fix the oil leak so my wife will let me park on the concrete driveway again. :D