PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E lock up in 2nd gear

ewordal
09-24-2003, 09:19
Is there any way to get a 4L80E to lock up the torque converter in 2nd gear, without throwing a bunch of codes and going into limp home mode. It would be nice when towing in steep territory to avoid heating problems. I have a 1993 K2500TD Thanks, Erik

rjwest
09-24-2003, 11:06
Good Luck, I tryed on 96, gave up , because of limp mode,no codes... I tryed a torque loc from BD...
doesn't work on OBD2, it may work on 93 to 95..

Was nice to have 2nd locked up on long slow 2nd gear hill climbs..... GM really screwed up not
locking 2nd...

I wonder if the PCM re-program places can make this change?

rjwest
09-24-2003, 14:49
MikeL Please more info. WHo, What Where, How
THANKS IN ADVANCE

rjschoolcraft
09-24-2003, 18:42
You must be careful, though. The torque capacity of the lock-up clutch is not that high. Locking in the lower gears under heavy pulls could cause slippage.

tanker
09-25-2003, 01:09
You should be ok with a "Torq-Loc" from "BD", as I have one on my 95 suburban for about 5 years now. Howie E. also has one on his 97 suburban, but has had some issues with it, pre 96 should work well. I do lock up in 2nd gear on long hard pulls above 35mph. I think less wear on the clutch in a lower gear than in a higher gear. This helps with keeping the temps lower in both the transmission and coolant. I also tow in OD when I'm on the highway on level areas. This lockup gives me more gear ratios for towing. 1st gear unlocked, 2nd. unlocked, 2nd. locked, 3rd. unlocked, 3rd. locked, and so on---. I love it and have 136,000 miles on the original transmission, with lots of heavy towing everywhere. ;)

JohnC
09-25-2003, 10:00
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Locking in the lower gears under heavy pulls could cause slippage. Isn't that backwards? Every slipping clutch I've had showed up first in the highest gears...

HowieE
09-25-2003, 10:15
As tanker said the BD Torque Loc will allow you to lock the convertor in any gear as long as the mph is above the BD set point. The set point is adjustasble and generaly about 33mph.
There is a problem with the BD Torque Loc when used on the 96 and newer 4L80 because of a change in the programing of the computer. BD has said they will no longer support this produce so be sure you want and or need this function.