PDA

View Full Version : DTCs P0087 and P1093

flyingbassplayer
04-29-2005, 13:10
I noticed that my truck was not putting out the power it should at higher rpms. I ran into a good grade while pulling my 5er home to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada from Georgia. It went into limp mode and I was lucky enough to find a spot to pull off beside the road. The "check engine" had come on. I checked for DTC codes with a power programmer that I have and found codes P0087 and P1093. I had to clear the codes (turn off check engine light) before I had enough power to move the truck and trailer at any speed at all. I made it the rest of the way home by kicking it out of cruise control if it wanted to shift down from overdrive and taking it easy on the go-pedal. Most hills on I-81 seemed to work OK at around 50 mph in 4th. I have a date with my dealer on Monday but was wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on?

Thanks.

madmatt
04-29-2005, 18:31
When was the last time you had a fuel filter? notice a fuel smell, lower then normal oil pressure, bad fuel economy?

flyingbassplayer
04-30-2005, 07:52
I have no smell of diesel fuel under the hood and the oil pressure and fuel mileage seem to be the same as usual. As to the fuel filter, I assumed that the dealership would change them as required when the truck is taken in for oil changes or annual/semi-annual service. I have 62,000 km or 39,000 miles on the truck and there is no mention anywhere in my bills of the fuel filter being changed. I guess that you have to ask them if you want it changed. How often would you recommend that the fuel filter be changed?

Thanks.

madmatt
04-30-2005, 12:03
I recommend every 10K. you'd know if they changed it for you cause you'd have about an extra $50 tacked on to your bill.

flyingbassplayer
04-30-2005, 18:50
Thanks madmatt, I appreciate the help.

flyingbassplayer
05-02-2005, 12:54
Just got back from the dealer and learned the hard way. I got charged for debugging the problem when all that was requuired was a fuel filter which needed changing anyway. I won't make this mistake again.

Kennedy
05-03-2005, 06:25
I coincide my fuel filter changes with my oil and filter changes. 7-8k on the 2002 with Delvac 1, and will do same on the 2005 when switched over...

madmatt
05-04-2005, 18:14
your not the first and surely won't be the last to learn this way. I've got one customer who has now had his towed in twice for this. he raises hell every time about paying for the daig and tow since he's under warr.....if only he'd keep up on his maintance.