PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Injector/truck use Poll

More Power
08-03-2004, 13:39
TurboAL:

Let's learn more about fuel injectors and your use of your Duramax powered GM truck.

We'll ask:
Injector problems? YES NO
How often do you change fuel filter?
Truck year? 01 02 03 04
Using a performance enhancing module? YES NO
Total truck mileage? 0 to 25, 25 to 50, 50 to 75 etc
Percentage of towing?
Trailer weight when towing?

Turbo Al
08-03-2004, 14:09
Thanks for the quick response Jim!
I do know the DP is a "lightning rod" for folks that are having trouble with there rides but I don't honestly think that injector problems are as wide spread as some are lead to believe. Don't get me wrong IF I had problems with the injectors (or anything for that matter) I would be the FIRST to speak up and with all due respect to those that are having or have had problems I am really hoping that you are not in the majority and that your problems get dealt with quickly and fairly.

Al

Yamahauler
08-03-2004, 17:45
Ok, ... I'm a registered member, and I'm logged in, but it says I do not have permission to vote in this poll.

In that case, here you go. Maybe someone can add this to the poll results.

Injector problems? NO

How often do you change fuel filter? Twice so far

Truck year? 03

Using a performance enhancing module? NO

Total truck mileage? 0 to 25, 25 to 50, 50 to 75 etc. ????

Percentage of towing? 95%

Trailer weight when towing? 10,000 lbs.

GT
08-03-2004, 19:11
Thanks Jim, this is the best idea yet to find out how wide spread the problem is. Cranky

More Power
08-04-2004, 07:27
If you can successfully log in and post messages, you have all of the necessary permissions to vote/view (in) the poll. Trouble with poll access may be due to your web browser not allowing pop-ups or there is some other browser setup issue.

Please post how you solved the problem.

MP

DieselDavy
08-04-2004, 11:22
More Power,
Having to take the poll to view the pole results is fine for people who have a Duramax now. That does not apply to many who might be looking to upgrade from our old reliable GM Diesels. We are interested too! Give us a link to look at the results also.
Dave

dakotakid
08-05-2004, 05:06
It also only lets you vote once per registered user. I have two of those trucks, but can only submit for one of them. Guess the new one gets left out for now...

Pat

RichC
08-06-2004, 18:09
I dont think it is if you will have injector problems, it is when will it happen. I too had no problems, until 75,000.0 miles. Started the truck up and smelled raw fuel. Crankcase was full of diesel. Now I have the mega filter. The truck now has 96,000.0 so we will see how long this time, with the mega filter post oem.

DCarr
08-06-2004, 18:50
I was not allowed to vote either but seem to be able to post reply! :eek:

Texas Bulldog
08-07-2004, 13:26
I also have 2 Trucks to report on so I will post on the new one here.

Injector problems None
Performance chip Yes
Towing 20-40%
Trailer weight 12000
Year 2004
Miles 7200

crashdnt
08-09-2004, 18:37
I couldn't respond either, so here's the 411

Inj. Prob.-YES!!!!!
Fuel Filter change-every 6,000
Truck Year-2001
Perf. Mod.-no (and afraid too)
Total Miles-30,000
Percent Tow-10%
Trailer Wt.-5000

I Had five fail between 15,000 and 27,000. Chevy did just replace all 8 and so far so good!

William Lee Gingerich
08-13-2004, 18:28
No injector problems.
I have been using post OEM racor since about 22000 miles am changing oem filter every 10k and aux. filter at 15k.
02 GMC Crew cab Dually
No performance enhancing module
55000 miles
95% towing
7500lbs to 20000lbs trailer wieght

Great truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MPR
08-16-2004, 16:39
Could not get on poll so here is info.

INJ. Problems - Nil
Fuel Filter - every 25,000 KM
Truck yr. - 2001 April build
Perf. mods - Nil
Mileage - 96,000 KM
Towing - + 30%
Trailer wt. - 12,000 lbs.

SHOPMAN426
08-18-2004, 09:31
I have been thinking of getting a power modual. But after reading about some of the failures I wonder if I should. Is it worth the risk? I'm only looking for better pulling power, not hot rodding.

Shopman426
Mike :confused:

copperhead
08-19-2004, 10:12
Can't access poll either:

No injector problems.
Filter change every 15k.
03 model year, ~August 02 Build.
No Mods.
53K+ miles.
Towing <5%
7,000lbs, don't laugh

Has anyone investigated whether the injector failures had anything in common like where the truck was built? Are there different factories cranking out these trucks?

sb359
08-19-2004, 14:48
I can't vote neither on this poll or past polls need help.

Heavy Hauler
08-19-2004, 17:14
I talked to my dealer yesterday and was told I have 2 weak injectors. Will probably need to have replaced within the next month or so.
Bosch lost a law suit over the bad injectors and is now in the process of building 60,000 new ones. Minimum of 6 weeks delivery.
I pull a 25' 5th wheel and a 25' Pontoon. Gross out at 22,640 lbs.

2003 2500HD

Turbo Al
08-25-2004, 20:18
Copper head all the engines are built in the same plant but you have something there I would think there is a common link to most of the injection failures -- just we will never be told what it is :rolleyes:

sb359
08-29-2004, 11:29
I think the -can't access poll problem -is bigger then the injector problem.

Tractorhauler
08-31-2004, 09:44
I would very much like to have the data separated a bit. As in, with the 13% having injector problems how many of those have performance mods. That would be very helpful. I am one that believes that my juice actually is better for my dmax because of lower RPM when towing, more consistent shifting and so on.

Thanks,

Mark

sb359
08-31-2004, 21:02
Well it happened- clicked on the truck use poll and would'nt you know it-I got permission to access the poll.I can't tell you how or what I did different cause i just don't know. :confused:

Louis_Young
09-15-2004, 14:42
Well I was informed yesterday that my 2001 Duramax will require 8 new injectors. Interestingly the dealer did not know about the extended warranty. I had to fax him the letter from GM to set him straight. As I have read in other posts they cannot give me a completion date because the injectors are on national back order. This is not fun, but they have provided a Yukon SLT rental so I guess I'm OK for now. For everyone's information my truck has 117,000 miles on it. I first notice the SES light and had it go in 'limp' mode at about 110,000 miles. I continue to be happy with the truck and since GM is fixing their problem I will buy another Duramax most likely summer of next year.

chuntag95
09-16-2004, 08:40
MP, to bad you didn't ask if you have added a secondary fuel filter. After my injector failures, I did and I thinking long term it will help.

Spartus
09-30-2004, 04:34
CAN'T VOTE!

Injector problems? YES
How often do you change fuel filter? 250hrs or 10k
Truck year? 03
Using a performance enhancing module? YES
Total truck mileage? 21k
Percentage of towing? 10%
Trailer weight when towing? 6,200

Yesterday Injectors #6, #8 started dumping fuel. The Sleeve on #4 had also pulled loose.. Dealer blames my EDGE ATTITUDE for the failure. Fixed under warranty, but was advised to LOOSE the Attitude.

Rebel48
10-03-2004, 14:50
I purchased my 2001, Chevy 2500HD, Duramax 6600 previously owned with 65,000 miles on it. I received a letter in June of 04 stating that the injectors may fail prematurly. As luck would have it they went at 89,000 miles. The dealership replaced them at no cost to me. There was some debate as to whether it would be done at no cost because the vehicle warranty had expired. The engine warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles though. This is an important point to know. Concequently the dealership picked up the towing and rental tab as well. Seven days rental because it took them 7 days to facilitate the repairs.

Something that bothers me is it's noiser than before. I'm hoping that in time it will quiet some. It's still much quieter than Ford or Dodge but it's noiser than it was before. If anyone has had any experience with this please reply.
It also surges slightly at idle. I would hate to have to take it back to the dealership, a big pain in the ass. :(

Rebel48

web page (http://palmsenterprises.com)

Snowbear
10-03-2004, 15:54
No probs voting here...
to go one step further on what tractor hauler said.... when its over if theres a way to really break it down yr-yr spec-spec..?? Might see a pattern...

Like guys w/01 that lost injectors, how many had EDGE or other power, how many towed, common weight...??
Then the same w/ 02-04...
Just my 2cents...

floridadmax
10-12-2004, 17:19
Mine is at the dealer since last week. Now they say needs injectors. No problem, they will replace them. After all is said and done GM has a problem and they will make it right. Yes it is a pain in the *ss :mad: but I just think how many Ford and Dodges my wreckers have towed :D :D for Transmission problems and cam sensors etc. I have towed 3 Dmaxs for problems beyond GM's control. Gas in the tank :rolleyes: . 1 for a GM problem with Trans shift position sensor problem and mine for the shift position sensor :confused: :eek: . not bad for covering 6 different counties in N fla.
I change filter 10000 miles and have cat pre filter. love it as factory filter always dumps very clean fuel. I do have a juice module run level 2 99% of time since 10000 miles on truck. current 73000 on truck. Plan to keep this truck and purchase a 3500 4x4 CC later this spring. :D :D

xwing
10-13-2004, 04:34
TO TAKE POLL:
1) Disable your computer's internet protection system (for Norton, the green globe, right click, "disable"
2) Clear Cookies, All Files, and Internet History (for Internet Explorer WebBrowser, hit Tools->Internet Options and Delete/Clear History, All Files, Cookies)
3) Goto The Diesel Page, and Log In (clearing files/cookies removes your having logged in before)
4) Goto The Poll, and Take The Poll

Suggestions:
1) The poll should separate out into 2 categories "You have performance box? Injector failures?" and "You do NOT have performance box? Injector failures?
2) Fuel Filter change interval...so many at maximum 15K suggests strongly many have gone way farther, bet a significant number have NEVER changed it...that would be interesting to separate out as to injector failure rate too.

YBM
11-03-2004, 17:40
don't know a whole lot about diesels....but my 2004 LLY had 8 new injectors last month (27k miles), choking and smoking 2 weeks later.. reprogramed, choking and smok'n again??? Starting to think lly didn't fix the problem just made injectors easier to replace? 100% stock, tow maybe 10% 6,000 lbs. boat.

AlaskaDmax
11-12-2004, 19:30
Greetings,

Took poll...added some more weight to the injector numbers.
I had mine replaced about a week and a half ago, all 8. Truck was smoking real bad and even blew some chunky wet exhaust on my Bro-inlaw's windshield one night when I stomped it. Took it in and they replaced them after waiting about a month due to the back order. It is still smoking at first start in the morning and the idle is still rough. I took it in this last Monday and they ran it through the paces, said it was well with in specs...so I am thinking might just be thin oil due to excess fuel being dumped from the bad injector(s)?!?! The engine temps have not been higher than normal so?!?!

Any thoughts?

Peace Out.

On edit......2002//Stock//53,000 miles

WayCoolKennel
11-26-2004, 15:48
Well.. just took poll...

Looks like numbers are getting worse...

83k miles
STOCK to the BONE
Hardly tow at all
Change filter every 15k

Mine is 230 miles from home.. at a dealer that cant even look at it til Monday.. and it destroyed my holiday and may cost me $$$ as I need the truck to hunt lion hunters this week and next. .may have to cancel the hunts :(

This is exactly why I got rid of my F*RD and bought a Chevy.. :(

In addition, I was told by the warrantee folks that I get NOTHING in regards to the tow, rental.. ZILCH.

I had 10 dogs with me and was supposed to pick my wife up from the airport(230 miles away).. POOF ! Had to borrow a friends (thank the LORD above for him !) truck and stuff 10 dogs in airline crates to get them home. Now I have to make a round trip with another vehicle so I can get home ... this is a MESS !

So far Chevy hasnt made squat right ! Nope no rental, no tow no nada, nevermind 9 hours of driving to try and get home/return borrowed vehicle etc.. etc.. etc... AND what I'm about to lose in hunts... and a return trip in a MONTH to get the truck.

ETA 1 month for parts.

This SUX.

Also, I think your poll is almost useless.. not that it isnt a great idea... but unless you start getting most of the folks with 50-130k miles to take the poll.. you wont see the numbers that will EVENTUALLY show up.. You need to show of the trucks with injector problems whats avg miles, what % of year model, % modified etc...

my .02

rjschoolcraft
12-08-2004, 16:17
The poll is there for all to see and vote. The numbers are what the numbers are. Your dislike of the results doesn't mean that the poll is no good.

It seems to me that you have plenty of reason to get GM to cover your extraneous expenses. Talk to the Corporate folks... They will likely help you.

Yes, I've had warranty run-ins with GM before (broken crank in an 86 S10 Blazer with 2.8 V-6, plus others), but they took care of me on my 6.5 so I suspect they will take care of you on your Duramax.

Good luck.

CHVYMAN#9
12-09-2004, 20:55
HELLO,I AM NEW HERE BUT I DO HAVE ALOT OF EXPIRIENCE WITH LB7 INJECTORS. I WORK FOR A DEALER IN CENTRAL CA. AND HAVE PERSONALLY INSTALLED OVER 300 INJECTORS THIS YEAR. IN MY EXPERIENCE 2002 LB7 INJECTORS SEEM TO BE THE MOST FAILED. WORSE WHEN THEY ARE FARM VEHICLES THAT GET FUEL FROM THEIR OWN TANKS ON THE FARM
(POSSIBLE MORE CONTAMINANTS I.E SILICA ETC.)THESE INJECTORS HAVE FAILED IN MANY WAYS(CHECK BALLS LOOSE,SLEEVES CRACKED(USUALLY ENDING UP WITH FUEL IN CRANKCASE)ALSO SOME HAVE BEEN SMOKERS OR LOUD FUEL KNOCK. OR SIMPLY HAVE TOO MUCH RETURN TO THE TANK DUE TO INTERNAL CRACK BETWEEN HIGH AND LOW PSI SIDES. 2003/2004 LB7
SEEM TO FAIL MOSTLY WITH HIGH RETURN TO TANK AND USUALLY HAVE EXTENDED CRANK TO START WHICH IS WORSE WHEN AT TEMP. 2001 DONT SEEM TO FAIL AS READILY(POSSIBLY BECAUSE THERE WEREN'T AS MANY OR THE TOOLS USED TO BUILD THEM WERE STILL REALITIVELY NEW.) FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER I SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM(ACCORDING TO GM)WITH SMALL PARTICLES GETTING PAST THE FILTER THAT,WHEN INTRODUCED INTO 23,000 PSI AND TIGHT TOLERANCES CAUSES THE CRACKS AND ERROSION. THERE IS SUPOSEDLY A NEW FILTER COMING OUT SOON THAT WILL FILTER BETTER(WILL REPLACE THE CURRENT AC DELCO ONES IN THE FUTURE POSSIBLY THIS MONTH) I GUESS THE BEST ADVICE TO GIVE WOULD BE TO REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER AS OFTEN AS YOU FEEL FIT. I BELIEVE THIS TO BE A BOSCH PROBLEM AND ALL(FORD ,DODGE MERCEDES ETC. USE THEM-AND HAVE PROBLEMS)THEY'LL FIX IT HOPEFULLY SOONER THAN LATER. JUST BE HAPPY THAT THE DMAX HANDLES FUEL IN CRANKCASE MUCH BETTER THEN FORD(MANY GRENADED DUE TO FUEL IN OIL). THERE WAS A POST ABOUT AN LLY THAT HAD INJECTORS REPLACED FOR SMOKING AND CHOKING. I DON'T BELIEVE THE INJECTOR WERE THE CAUSE. IF THE TURBO VANE ACTUATOR STICKS IT WILL CAUSE THE SMOKING AND CHOKING. THANKS.

More Power
12-10-2004, 14:30
CHVYMAN#9,

Thanks. We appreciate your input.. smile.gif

MP

FrankA
12-12-2004, 10:10
should have a section to add other problems. Mine so far included:
-Broken exhaust bracket at engine. warranteed
-Belt tensioner replaced.I paid for it
-Fuel pressure regulater replaced (they tried to make me pay for it untill I told them it was covered under warranty).
-Leak at bypass hose for water pump. I paid for it

problems still working on:
-left rear brakes smoke under heavy braking dealer says nothing wrong.
-Low radiator light keeps coming on. I fill it up and under heavy towing the fluid sprays out onto the side of the truck. Dealer can't figure out what is wrong.

CHVYMAN#9
12-13-2004, 22:34
FrankA PLEASE CHECK THE ORINGS ON THE COOLANT FILL CAP. I HAD AN 01 THAT WOULD LOOSE COOLANT AND TURN THE LOW COOLANT LITE ON WHILE TOWING AND THE ORING WAS SPLIT AND IT WOULD SPIT COOLANT OUT THE OVERFLOW (WHICH COULD GET THE RIGHT SIDE OF TRUCK WET). AS FAR AS SMOKE FROM BRAKE I WOULD CHECK THE REAR HUB (AXLE) SEAL. IT MAY BE LEAKING ON THE PARK BRAKE SHOES(DRUM INSIDE ROTOR)AND WHEN HOT MAY CAUSE THE SMOKE. JUST SOME IDEA'S THAT MIGHT HELP.

hawkeye43
12-16-2004, 20:37
just got my truck back atfter 2 weeks waiting for injectors to come. 3 weak ones dumped 4.5 gallons into the oil in 60 miles. now the truck has to go back for an oil leak on the back side of valve cover, they got something wrong. I thought it wouldnt happen to my truck after I got 115000 miles, surprize at 117100 miles.

CHVYMAN#9
12-16-2004, 21:26
Sorry about your luck hawkeye43 sounds like they fubar'd the gms or the lower valve cover gasket. I have seen this before,gm wants us to reuse the lower gasket. I won't because once it gets oil on it, it gets really slippery and wants to slip out of it's groove. I've done sooo many its fullish to take the chance. SORRY!

32dominator
12-20-2004, 11:54
Injector problems? NO
How often do you change fuel filter? 10K
Truck year? 04
Using a performance enhancing module? NO
Total truck mileage? 5,000
Percentage of towing? 20-40%
Trailer weight when towing? 9-10,000

Stage1
12-26-2004, 19:59
MP,
Do you plan to post injector problem yes and No responses vs other responces to show the results ( did not use trends because of other factors which are difficult to measure)?
thanks,
Les

dcalex
12-28-2004, 19:53
I was just looking at a Dodge forum and they have the same kind of poll going on. It's very new though with only 14 responses so far. Their failure rate is 14.29% at this writing. Right close isn't it.

madmatt
01-04-2005, 18:05
as a GM diesel tech I can tell you the injector failures were very wide spread. @ one time I was waiting 2-3 weeks for a set. it has been my experince that power modules were not to blame. GM says it was a casting flaw from the factory causing the bodies to crack and excessive return fuel rates. the problem is well under control now, the set i got last week only took 2 days to get. i could have had them the next if i had ordered them sooner. i have read in this forum some idle complaints. more then likely it is a sticking fuel pressure reg., but if it is determined to have been contaminated it will require an inj. pump. this surge is more noticable in gear w/ your foot on the brake sitting still.

madmatt
01-04-2005, 18:25
also fyi, a new fuel filter has been released. not sure on p/n though(sorry) it can be identified by a black ring around the top of the filter. also please stick to a strict ff service routine. 10k -12k seems to work best, always run good fuel and never use fuel additives. most fuel companies blend their fuel to resist gelling.

2dogs
01-17-2005, 19:50
Hey I could have taken the poll - BUT would have lied as I don't have a DMAX - can you show the results to folks who don't vote for good reasons?

BurnsK
02-04-2005, 02:31
I don't think this poll tells us much without a cross reference that analizes miles vs. weight vs. problems. Yes you know that a certain percentage had problems and a certain percentage towed and some had a performance enhancer, but the poll results don't tells us what percentage with a "chip" or towed heavy gross weights and didn't change their fuel filters had problems. With that information perhaps we could plan a future course of action. By the way with just 25,000 miles mine has been flawless. LB7 Engine.

Thanks, and good work. Appreciate your efforts, I couldn't do it.

kiwi1
02-06-2005, 10:18
Can anyone help, I am looking for the top plastis connector for a 2005 duramax as I have got a broken one, It is the piece that clips onto the top ot the rear injector to fit the small rubber hose onto. Thanks Kiwi

pepper
02-23-2005, 14:07
i think we need to really listen to what the folks are saying here - like "way cool kennels", he has a business and one truck is down and he is whining like a hurt pup, it's business, always have back ups, charge enough to do business, machines break, that's life, be prepared, sorry to be a spoil sport on a real whiner society but i love my truck and have a new back up in case it goes down - yes i use it for business also and have the other one booked also, but can rent or slow down depending on business demand - if clients are worth it, do it or go out of business, i own some dodges also and none are fool proof ( fools are so ingenious). Hope ya'all enjoy your trucks like i like mine, and lets keep the forum to truck matters not personal problems

Maxpower
03-14-2005, 18:13
Hi! new to DP,What are some of the signs of bad injectors. I have a 3500 crewcab 4x4,with two boxes.(maxamizer,hot juice) Trans hasnt been right since new,dealer tells me that nothings wrong.

LyndaLFromTexas
03-31-2005, 12:44
I cleared cookies, disabled anti-virus, etc., per instructions, and still couldn't use poll. Here is my response, if you will be so kind to add it to the poll:

Injector problems? YES !!!

How often do you change fuel filter? Per the recommendations by dealer. We service our truck regularly, and whenever dealer tells us to do something, we do. (I know it's recommended in this forum to do the fuel filter more often, but I'm just proud I'm keeping up with the "required" schedule for maintenance--I never did with any of my other trucks (with the old 454s)--and they lasted forever.

Truck year? 2002

Using a performance enhancing module? NO, completely stock (due to being scared of warranty issues--and thank god, we didn't modify, since we've had the bad luck to have the dread injector problem !!)

Total truck mileage? 33,000

Percentage of towing? 75%

Trailer weight when towing? 15,000 to 18,000 depending on number of horses we're hauling (anywhere from 3 to 6)

The injectors went out at around 25,000 miles (luckily, when I wasn't towing--just going down the highway with no trailer, going about 65 miles per hour). When it happened, it started bucking, sputtering like mad, slowing me down sometimes to as slow as 10 mph. I thought it would eventually quit altogether, but it never did. If I very gradually increased the speed, I could eventually get up to about 50 mph. --And by gradually, I mean it would take me 2 miles after a stop at a light to get it back up to 50 mph. If I went any faster it bucked so hard I thought the engine would end up flying through the hood. (I had lots of time to experiment with how fast I could go, I was 50 miles from home when it started). Not knowing about the injector problems, I thought it was because I was low on fuel, and that there must have been some water in the fuel that was getting sucked in because I was so low on fuel. I stopped and filled that tank, plus filled our 60 gallon auxillary tank, and then tried switching tanks, to no better effect. I barely was able to limp home (almost getting killed several times in traffic), then my husband was barely able to limp to the dealership the next day (with exactly same problems about not being able to ever increase the speed over 50, and it taking forever to get it up to 50). When it happened, it was after the dealers already knew about the injector problems (but before the letter was sent out to everyone about 200,000 mile warranty on injectors), so there wasn't any argument about replacing them. I believe they replaced all of the injectors. Total cost, if I remember correctly, was around $1,700, but no money had to be paid by us. Since then, no trouble at all with injectors. Truck runs great, like new, again.

Unfortunately, I also had the other prevailing problem talked about in this forum--the drain down problem after letting the truck sit for a few days--to where you are unable to put the truck into reverse, and gear indicator lights flash like mad. (The reason why it sits is because we mainly use the truck to haul our horses, not for commuting back and forth to work.) The dealer replaced the NSBU switch twice, then finally gave up and took the transmission out and replaced the defective spring that was allowing the drain-down of fluid. Again--no cost to us. Since then, that problem appears to be fixed, because a couple of times, it has sat unused for a week or more a couple of times, without reoccurrence of the problem.

Do I still love my truck? Yes, IF--and this is a VERY big if--this is the END of our problems with it. The Duramax/Allison combo pulls our horses much stronger and better than our previous 454 gas motors did, with WAY better mpg. But, since I've had a major problem with the engine, AND a major problem with the Allison transmission, I am seriously thinking about going back to a gas engine, and manual transmission (like we've always had before). Yes, I know the problems with the manual transmission in the Vortec 8100, but I see where they've supposedly got a better flywheel in either the current 05 model (or ready for the 06 models scheduled for next year). If it's not being installed til next year, for sure I wouldn't get the manual until that new flywheel is tested to make sure it's strong enough. We do love our Duramax truck, but we're THAT freaked about about the two problems discussed. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD BOTH THE DRAIN-DOWN PROBLEM --and-- the INJECTOR PROBLEM ?? One thing we need is a reliable truck (my husband is a cowboy, NOT a mechanic, by any stretch of the imagination !!). With only 32,000 miles on this truck, and two MAJOR problems, that's pretty scary. I am relieved to see that it appears that there are currently only two big problems showing up on these trucks--we've already had both. So, maybe, it's smooth sailing from here.

Sorry for the long post. I've been wanting to vent for a long time.

gravity420
03-31-2005, 16:05
Well I remember early on when I got my truck, it is an '02, that on this forum a lot of people reported their injectors were going out at 85,000 miles. Like everyone else here that thinks they are safe, I did also, but mine seem to have failed at precisely 84,500 miles.

Took my wife to work this morning which is a 10 mile round trip and noticed oil pressure low at speed and idle. Got home and smelled like raw fuel. Checked oil level and dipstick had very thin oil and smelled like fuel. I guess 85,000 miles was the magic number. Really sucks if the dealer does not have the injectors when I get there on Monday morning to have it looked at.

I have only had it at the dealer once and that was at Alaska Sales and Service in Anchorage and they used my truck to run parts or something and burned up a bunch of my fuel and put a whole heck of a lot of mileage on the odo- and it was only in to check a code that was coming up and ended up being a problem with the fuel temp sending unit. Hopefully the new dealer won't screw around like the last one. I have heard too many horror stories on this forum.

MIKE MOG
03-31-2005, 16:33
I WORK FOR A DEALER AND WOULD NEVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT. IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A VEH THAT I CANNOT DUPLICATE AT THE TIME OF SERVICE I WILL ASK THE CUSTOMER IF HE OR SHE WOULD LIKE ME TO DRIVE IT HOME FOR THE EVE. MOST OF OUR CUSTOMERS WILL SAY OK AND 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 I WILL FIND THE PROBLEM, BUT I THINK NOT ADVISING THE CUSTOMER ABOUT THE EXTENSIVE ROADTESTING IS WRONG. I WOULD TALK THIS OVER WITH YOUR DEALER AND IF NESSESARY TELL THEM TO CALL WITH AN OK TO DRIVE OVERNIGHT.
MIKE

gravity420
04-01-2005, 18:57
Thanks mike. Are you here in Phoenix? If you are I would bring my truck to you.

I never had left my truck overnite, just for the day. But I am sure it was the nicest rig in that day and the wanks had to go flog my expensive Nokian snow tires and throw her sideways I would guess. Not that I wouldn't do the same when I drive it, but I am paying for it and let her warm up before I go shralping around.

No need to use caps, I know it wasn't you that drove around in my rig getting lunch and running parts.

MIKE MOG
04-04-2005, 15:52
NO IM IN OHIO, BUT IM SURE THERE ARE SOME GOOD TECHS IN YOUR AREA THAT CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR TRUCK. I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. I NEED MY CUSTOMERS TO PUT BREAD AND BUTTER ON OUR TABLE. THERES NO SENSE IN MAKING THEM UNHAPPY THE WILL JUST GO TO ANOTHER DEALER AND I LOOSE SOME BREAD. GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU NEED ANYTHING JUST YELL!
MIKE

MIKE MOG
04-04-2005, 15:55
SORRYMAN, I USE THE CAP LOCK KEYS ALOT. IM NOT SAYING ANYTHING BAD NOR AM I UPSET AT YOU.
MIKE

gravity420
04-05-2005, 19:39
Rock On Mike,

My truck is currently at Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ and I have met the service manager and the tech working on my truck, and I can say they are very professional and seem like straight shooters. Of course that is why I took it to Scottsdale, the rich area, because they cannot afford to screw around.

Chevrolet is paying to have all 8 injectors replaced.

I guess that is part of the reason why I bought a Chevy, they stand behind the products. And The trucks just drove better. Thanks for offering the help, you would definitely be the guy I'd bring my truck to in your area.

Ken

dmaxstu
04-06-2005, 16:25
hi rebel 148

Apparentely you bought your truck used, you should know that the fuel injector warrantee was extended to 150,000 miles for 01 and 02 model years so nobody did you any favors, your dealer was supposed to fix your injectors.
I also was denied participation in the poll and would like to add that I added a pre-OEM caterpillar 2 micron filter and I also use a Napa (wix) for the OEM fuel filter which happens to be a 2 micron filter. I have not had any injector problems so far 52,000 mi. and hopefully I won't. I have towed a 10,000 LBS trailer for at least 40,000 miles. I also change the fuel filters whenever the spirit moves me, well within the 15,000 mile requirement, its very cheap insurance. I am about to embark on a 7000 mi. trip across the country so before I start I change all the fluids and filters. I expect my Dmax to quitely rattle me accross the country and back. So far this truck has instilled great confidance.Stu

DMAXTODD
08-06-2005, 19:38
2002 ccsb Duramax/Ally

Injector problems 0

Juice 125HP Box always on level 1

74,000 miles

Towing at least 10,000, 12,000 average of twice per week.

Lifetime MPG 16.5 Average

HTS
08-09-2005, 08:21
My '03 3500 is in the shop again for injectors,it first happened at 25K and it is now 87K. I tow 90+% of the time, and usually more than 10K lbs. Is the problem with the injectors, or the fuel? I can;t control the fuel quality. I run this truck as a "Hot shot", I'm afraid if I can't find a solution, I'm out of business. $5000 every 50/60K miles isn't an option. If it is fuel, is the supplemental filter system enough, Stanadyne additive,plus. Please, the guys that use their trucks to commute to work, and put 15Kmiles/yr need not reply. Not trying to be rude, just don't think your experience qualifies you.

More Power
08-16-2005, 10:35
HTS, What were the symptoms your engine experienced? How often do you change the fuel filter?

Jim

Scott Glewwe
08-19-2005, 12:13
Took the poll with about 60K miles and no problems. They failed today with just under 75K miles. Some days I long for my old 6.5L - even without the massive power of the duramax

2002 Crew Cab, Long box, bone stock with exception of K&N filter and alloy rims.

SDWA
09-14-2005, 07:42
I too took the poll at about 70k, with not a single problem with the entire '02 truck (except for a new transmission at 256 miles). I have changed the fuel filter every 10K miles on the dot, and 99.5% percent of my fuel has come from the same truck stop, and used FPPF additive every 3000 miles.

As luck had it, around 84750 miles, the engine started acting weird. On acceleration after a slight coast (say, letting someone merge in front of you) I'd get a horrible popping that sounded like the pilot injection was stuck on (this is below 2800rpm, usually around 1800 rpm) for about 5-10 seconds, and it'd dump black smoke. My mileage went down about 3-4mpg, from an average of about 18-19 mpg. It would start "pulsating" (for a lack of better words) when on cruise control at 65mph (at 1800 rpm) on long flat stretches, and general audible knocking the rest of the time.

Took in into the dealer at 91K miles, and guess what - I'm in need of all 8 injectors (on backorder right now). So apparently, there is no advantage to using good fuel and additives, and changing the filter regularly.

I hope these new injectors will get me back up to the "normal" mileage I'd been getting.

My question now - do I trust the new OEM dual-layer filter, or should I go with the MegaFilter after these new injectors are installed??

cmonroe97
09-15-2005, 04:46
I took the poll,and then at 77K I had to have an injector replaced. I guess everyone is going to have to do it sooner or later. I run a hypertech and two somtimes a 10,000 pd trailer have an 02 with a 200k warranty. It's too bad they don't all have a 200K warranty as we all will probably need it. It looks like in your poll that it usually occurs bet.75Kand80k but is all over the charts. I hope some how we can use the poll for GM to take care of everyone . I wonder if the new dmax is fixed???

r gomez
10-26-2005, 16:46
this is my second dmax the first was a 01 never had any problems sold it with 68k on her. my current d max is a 04 with 34k had a cabin computer replaced,oil sending unit,shift module and pressure switch for a/c .the 01 had a recall for the injecters but thay had tostart leaking first and fill the crankcase up with fuel before
gm would honer the recall just what we need when were out of town with a 10000lb trailer on the back i didn't have this problem but some of my friends did

Inspector
10-29-2005, 14:00
Well I would like to say that I didn't have injector problems but. I took the truck in for a check engine light that keeps coming on at unexpected times then goes away after key cycles.
That turns up as a boost sensor or maf sensor. It can be either one that does it. The last time it showed both codes. That is being addressed. While at the dealer I requested that they have a look at the injectors. A balance check shows that with the exception of one injector they are at plus 1.5 or slightly minus. Number six is reading plus 5.3 and the engine runs just a little rough at idle. They are going to change that injector. I was under the impression that all the injectors should be changed but they said that if return flow was out limits that they would change them all. Apparently the return flow was good. I get the truck back Tuesday so we shall see. I have only 21600 on the clock and the fuel filter has been changed every sixK and Johns Mega is post OEM. The new duel pleat is now installed after the recall. Just a little of whats going on.
Denny

Rick Malone
11-04-2005, 11:02
My GM dealer just replaced my #7 Injector and fuel filter as you can see it is a June of 2005 build trk. just a little over 5000 miles, i had a lot of smoke and the trans shifted funny and he knew just what it was all is good,very little towing yet 2-6000 lbs loads just 5 to 7 miles total never got over 50mph pot-holes, and have used a tuner may try agin now that this is fixed.

34 M
11-22-2005, 15:47
2003 GMC crew 4x4 LB7 all eight injector replaced at 102890 km coverd by warranty. BS if you ask me diesels should go a lot long then that before you should have to touch it. At this rate in another 100000 km they will need to be replaced and a set of 8 injectors are worth $4000 canadian plus labor. I sure hope the aftermaket guys fix this problem with a more durable injector for all of us.

tom4trax
02-01-2006, 08:28
2004 2500HD Ext cab 4wd

Injector problems None
Performance chip Nope
Towing 80%
Trailer weight 14000
Year 2004
Miles 55000

mattb5150
05-02-2006, 20:03
Smelled fuel a couple days ago and then again today, wifes usual ride. Pulled out dipstick and it smelled like fuel and was above the full line. 101,527 miles on a 2002 truck. Fuel filter changes at every 15k miles. No additives, fuel most of the time a local high volume station, never had water in fuel in this truck or the 6.5TD. Very little towing no programmer/chip all stock.

sfcahr
08-24-2006, 19:16
I have had the joy of seven visits to the dealer only once for them to wittness the missing and black smoke puffing. The dealer wouldnt replace the full set of injectors, and only said 2 were bad. 5 miles down the road as the dealer locked the gates for the day, it missed again. They saw the injectors screw up on the tech 2000.
The other injector/s are still intermittantly screwing up but gm says unless it does it while the tech 2000 is hooked up they cant replace them. Oh yea' this symptom doesnt leave any codes to substantiate the problem. The darn dealer knows what it is and says gm just wont ok anything with oout a one time random code per injector that is needed to authorize the injectors replacement. Any thoughts???

Pewter Max
08-25-2006, 20:39
I must have already taken the poll earlier and said I haven't had any problems - can I take that back ?
My truck is at a local dealer now with Diesel in the oil - skipping - service engine light - does that sound familiar to anyone .
His machine said I have a Large Fuel Leak !!
My 5 year engine warranty is long gone so I hope the 200k injector warranty takes care of it .
Does anyone know if the warranty provides for a rental car ?
My truck has 91K on it .
They said they can't get to my truck till next week .
Does this make me a Statistic ?

Pewter Max
08-29-2006, 18:39
Got my truck back today after only 3 working days !!
8 New injectors and NO CHARGE to me .
Work was done by Hardy Chevrolet in Dallas Ga. - some of the nicest people I have ever encountered at a car dealership !!

David J3
08-30-2006, 13:10
03 Duramax, Duramaximiser, GM fuel filter every 15000, tow 86% of the time w/12000 #, 15.4 MPG, 100182 miles on the clock, don't hate me; zero problems of any kind what so ever. Knock on wood.

torque
09-02-2006, 19:50
No inj. problems, '02 D/A, new fuel filter every 15K, 60k mile so far, occasionally use my Edge (10%), tow trailer 20%, trailer weighs 9K lbs. So.Cal area.

Melvin P. Thorpe
09-12-2006, 12:40
'03 w/78,000 miles
Pull a 10,000# TT 10x a year
Edge w/ banks exhaust and AFE intake
Change fuel filters at 10,000 miles
Change oil and filters at 7,500 miles

Had a hard start condition at 70,000 miles and it evolved into a no start. Towed to dealer and they replaced injector pump and all injectors under warranty. They stopped replacing one injector at a time and now replace them all. Only problem now is it keeps blowing right side window fuses.

Zapper
09-15-2006, 10:27
I've had my truck, an 02 with 67,000 miles, into the dealership 3 times in the last year for fuel in the crankcase, usually would gain 1/2-1 quart in between oil changes. Their position was it was normal for a certain amount of fuel to be in oil, probably correct but not a quart. They also suggested that since I do my own service that I could be overfilling the crankcase. I told the service writer that I was changing my own oil before he was born and that I could count to 10. About a month ago I started noticing a knocking sound from the motor, most noticable aound 2000 to 2500 RPM on a slow gradual throttle increase. I took it the dealership and of course they couldn't hear it. Tech was sympathetic but claimed he had hearing loss from years around the shop. He said all injectors were in acceptable range as was the fuel pressure return rate or whatever it's called. They had it 3 days and he pulled left side valve cover and adjusted the valves, said they were not the problem as factory specs, I believe were 12 thousanths and they were all between 12 and 15. They still couldn't hear the knock. I left in the truck wasn't on the road 1/2 mile and heard the noise. My wife and I drove the truck over the Labor Day weekend and kept noticing an ever increasing smell of fuel and by the time I went back to work on Tues. my oil pressure was almost no higher that 20lbs. Checked the oil and there were probably 10 quarts of diesel in the oil. Babied it to the dealership, about 3 miles, and got the tech out there. He said OK now we've got something, I can get them to sign off on 8 new injectors. Left in a dealer supplied rental car. I didn't hear from them for 3 days so I stopped in on my way to work and the truck was sitting outside running, service writer said they were trying to get it to duplicate oil in the fuel. I had been staying calm through all of this as I work for GM at Allison Transmission and I am well aware of GM's ways, but this time I went minor ballistic. They explained to me how hard GM was coming down on them for replacing to many injectors, not my problem. They then told me I needed to turn in the rental as it was not covered under this claim. Of coures I told them again not my problem I've got it and you'll get it when my truck has eight new injectors and a new fuel filter installed. It took 4 more days but they finally called and said it was ready. When I went in to sign my paperwork I pulled out my receipt from weeks earlier when they adjusted the valves and told them I wanted my 100 bucks back I paid under the 5 year 100,000 mile motor warranty. I left happy and shook the service writers hand as he was begging me to rate him excellent when I get my survey. Truck seems to be much quieter and running very well. Sorry this was so long but wanted others to know my experiences and at least in this case my persistence paid off.

Inspector
09-15-2006, 10:53
One injector changed for balance problem.---#7
fuel filter changed between 6 and 9K-----also useing JK Mega, post OEM
I have the latest J/A---run on level 2 and 1 CARB
24K plus
80% towing
14K plus trailer weight

Denny

KenR
09-22-2006, 12:47
INJ. Problems - Yes
Fuel Filter - every 10,000 miles
Truck yr. - 2002
Perf. mods - None
Mileage - 147,000
Towing - + 30%
Trailer wt. - 13,000 lbs.

GM replaced all 8 of my injectors.

dieseldummy
09-22-2006, 16:41
No problems here:
'01 W/ 90,000 miles. Fuel filter every 7K since I've owned it from 70,000 miles, unknown before that.

harddrive
09-26-2006, 15:53
Injector problems - YES
Change fuel filter - 10000
Truck year - 02
Using a performance enhancing module - NO
Total truck mileage - 41000
Percentage of towing - 10%
Trailer weight - 5000 lbs.

Had a hard start condition after dealer changed to new type filter at 36,000 miles and it evolved into a no start after 40,000 miles

GM replaced all 8 injectors NO CHARGE