PDA

View Full Version : LLY smoking?!!

Gruffid
08-10-2004, 15:15
Yesterday my truck started smoking heavily at speed. I'm not towing anything, and no mods to the truck.

However, when I turned off the Cruise control, it stopped smoking so bad, and the clacking noise stopped. I could run at 75 mph without much smoking, but more than normal.

I slowed down to 65 mph and engaged the cruise. it started smoking badly and wouldn't hold speed.

Is anyone else having this problem? I took it in to the dealership today. Hopefully, I'll get it fixed before I go on vacation next week.

I only have 2600 miles on it.

Thanks.

mark45678
08-11-2004, 03:17
at a guess the sensor that tells the ECM what the intake pressure is has gone bad....

or some type of turbo malfunction!

Keep us updated ,Mark

mulerose
08-11-2004, 08:07
I had a similar problem. Sounds bad, vibration, smoke, bad smell, no warning lights. It's at the dealer now (12000 miles) I'll post the diagnosis when I find out.

Gruffid
08-13-2004, 15:02
OK Guys and Gals, it seems that the smoking, clanking, power loss with the Cruise control is directly related to oil enhanced air filters. My problem was that my K&N filter was leaving deposits on the Mass Air Flow Sensor. The computer was unable to read the air coming into the system because the sensor had oil caked on.

So, there's this service bulletin which says that if this happens, and the customer brings the vehicle in for service, the technicians are not to repair under warranty if concerns results from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

I didn't get that info before I bought and installed the filter. We may want to spread the word...