PDA

View Full Version : cooling down the turbo

Ammo pack
01-22-2003, 22:26
I was wonder if it was a really big deal to let the engine idle for about at least a minute before shutting it down to prolong the life of the bearings in the turbo. The old Dodge turbo diesel the shop had a sticker on it

mackin
01-23-2003, 05:35
Got Gauges???

Depends I guess how hard your working prior to shut down....Climbing a big hill towing, etc. ......

I normally let mine idle down to 300* max EGT.....Probably unnecessary with our turbo but nevertheless I do it.....

On a HOT summer day I've, after a good romp, have seen mine idle at 450*+ EGT!!!!!!!! Empty !!!!!!! Easily.....

This time of the year in the North East I'd have to start a fire under it to get them temps at idle.....

Does anyone know if there is a turbo cool down timer avail yet for the Duramax??? Summer is coming,wish full thinking....

MAC

c5dura
01-23-2003, 07:54
Mac, my remote start has an 'Idle-Down Mode' that takes over operation when the key is removed for turbo cool down.

Another cool feature is that it can start the truck every 4 hours for a set period of time when it is extremely cold.

johnpugh
01-23-2003, 07:56
I will usually let it idle for about a minute. That is just a guess, since I do not have gages installed yet...

As far as a turbo cool down timer check out this from Diesel Injection Service (an advertiser on this site)

http://www.dieselpage.com/iss32.htm

Later.......

Ammo pack
01-23-2003, 09:16
OK Has anyone tried to put a HKS Turbo Timer or the product JMPDMax has suggested on their Duramax yet? I

Idle_Chatter
01-23-2003, 10:21
This is a problem on most turbos with coking the oil in the turbo bearing when shutting down "hot." However, remember that among the many new and innovative tricks on our engines is a water-cooled turbo center that offers a heat sink for cooling that vital bearing even when the oil and coolant flows stop. Since installing my gauges, my idling EGT won't go below about 300 to 325 degrees and temps drop down there pretty quick. I used to always idle down my 6.5TD Tahoe to 250 on the EGT gauge, and that sometimes took several minutes, especially in situations like ramping off the interstate into a fuel stop after several hours at 70 mph. Looks like the Dmax has that covered and additional hardware or wiring is not necessary!

mackin
01-23-2003, 16:24
c5dura

If you would.....Who makes that feature packed system??

MAC

imported_
01-23-2003, 16:41
Mackin,

I believe most "good" remote starters have these features. I am using a Viper and it has a programable run time after the key is removed feature as well as the multiple auto start feature. My old truck had a temp sensor attached to the remote starter that you taped to a rad hose, if its temp fell to a preprogramed level it would fire the truck up. nice feature. I couldn't find it on any new remote starters.

Ammo pack
01-23-2003, 20:23
I talked to one of the alarm places in town about the turbo feature. He was glad to give me all the information on his Compustar System. It does have a turbo time included but you cannot adjust the time, also for the nearly $800 for the unit and install into the DMax (WOW is that an Alaska price or what) I think I might wait to get a unit like that. http://www.compustar.org/support/index.html

Thanks for all the information

c5dura
01-24-2003, 09:25
Mac, I run a Crimestopper RS999FM 2-way remote starter. I picked it up for 150 bucks and installed it myself.

You also need something to defeat the Passlock II system to prevent the factory alarm from going off and preventing the engine from starting. For that I picked up a unit called PLDATA II for 50 bucks that interfaces with the Crimestopper unit and the databus (no messing with setting a resistor value).

The only problem with the idle run down feature is that my only choices for time are 12, 24, 36 or 48 minutes. A bit long just for cooling down the turbo...

The reason for the long times is that this timer is also what determines how long the truck will run after being remote started before shutting back down again (and how long it will run each time it autostarts). I wish there was a seperate timer for the idle down feature. Perhaps other remote starts has that?

Big Blue, that temp sensitive auto start feature sounds cool. Too bad that's not offered any more.

On a similar note, I was toying with the idea of modifying my remote start to monitor battery voltage and start the truck up to charge the batteries if they fell below a certain voltage.

C5dura

XTOCAK
01-24-2003, 10:08
Ammo pack,

I had a system installed at Alaska Auto Accessories which is a part of Alaska Sales and Service....great price on a starter system and since it's part of the Chevy dealership, the system is covered under the 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Ken there does a first rate job and can program it any way you want it done. Mine was $399 back in October and has worked flawlessly.

technician
01-26-2003, 21:58
XTOCAK,
Do you have the name of the starter? Also, does your unit have a "cool down" mode? I would like to ask my dealer about it. The warranty coverage issue has me interested. Thanks
Chris

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: technician ]</p>