PDA

View Full Version : Willie Nelson BioDiesel available in SC!!

morgan
06-20-2005, 04:48
I just filled up with my first tank of BioDiesel from the Spinx convenience and fuel station at exit 56 on Interstate 85 near Greenville SC. It is just 20 miles from my house.

Apparently, we now have the first biodiesel station on the east coast.

http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/locations.html

I actually think that my truck is running better, but will run a few tanks first and get some mileage data before I start bragging.

The website warns of biodiesel degrading older rubber seals in some older (of course) fuel systems. Anybody know if this group includes my truck? see signiature below.

Cowracer
06-20-2005, 05:04
the cutoff I seen listed a number of times for the "old style" fuel systems is '94.

Never been able to find out if that means 94's are go or no-go on B20

Tim

morgan
06-20-2005, 05:15
That is frustrating.

94's were mostly made in 1993, so that puts some mud in the water.

I use that fuzzy logic as a defense for removing my catalytic converter, since 94 was the first year of that waste of good steel. :D

morgan
06-21-2005, 06:28
I have been corresponding with the customer service folks at WN BioDiesel. They assured me that the B20 blend that is sold at my local station is not aggressive on the rubber fuel system componenets, but that a B100 (100%...no blend) would be a risk.

On the "Trucks" show, they made biodiesel with 100% vegetable oil and ran it in a fairly new Dodge Cummins. That would probably not be a good idea in an older truck.

I'll report "more better" information as I get it.

TJ Moose
06-21-2005, 06:36
What are they charging for it in your neck of the woods? In Seattle, we have a place that sells B-100, and depending on how much you order up at a time (you kinda buy a "share" with the dealer - like loading a bank card with value, then go fill up until you have to buy more) but the price is still in the vicinity of $3.60/gal. I'll probably start buying it when prices even up with petro fuel - although my Stanadyne dealer in town isn't so hot on burning something in his diesels that didn't come outa the ground.....

morgan
06-21-2005, 07:11
I paid $2.259/gal on Saturday for the B20 blend.

I feel for you Moose. That price in your neighborhood is bordering on financial molestation!

Perry
06-21-2005, 12:10
Moose, is the place you are referring to Dr. Dan's? I pre-paid for 40 gallons last month at $3.10/gal, his prices had just dropped $.50/gal at the time. And if I wanted to step up and buy 100 gals at a time, it was $3.00. There is also a station now just north of U-Village that has B100 at the cardlock pump, and it was $2.97/gal last month.

I started blending 10 gals of B100 per tank last month when dinofuel was at $2.69/gal. Even though I get diesel for $2.29/gal now, I'm still blending as I feel better about it.

Perry

TJ Moose
06-22-2005, 06:22
Yep - Dr. Dan's - but I hadn't checked in with them for a while. Just proves - let the buyer beware. Since on my way to work I see prices anywhere from $2.35 through $2.75 - all within 12 miles. I just keep my eyes open, so I don't feel like I'm grabbing my ankles and spelling the word "run" everytime I fill up. Still - its a lot cheaper than buying new iron. Somehow - this was a lot more fun when I owned my TDI at 50 MPG - but that little Jetta wasn't much good for towing the Jeep........
I really like the thought of supporting a self-sufficient fuel source that will help keep the farmers in business (even though too much farmer biz is now going the way of corporate agri-culture) but still - way better than depending on the folks who hate Americans, but won't mind taking our money.

morgan
06-22-2005, 06:54
:confused:
I just keep my eyes open, so I don't feel like I'm grabbing my ankles and spelling the word "run" everytime I fill up. Took me about 5 seconds.... :D :D

I take 2 lane country roads for half of my commute to work, and only have a few safe passing chances (kinda like Hazzard County around here). I "tested" my passing gear this morning from 40 mph to about 65, and was not at all dissappointed.

Also, B20 is a mostly dino-diesel blend, so it doesn't really smell as clean as people say B100 does of course. It smells like burnt beans to me. I get blamed for that all the time anyway. :D

rob1681
06-22-2005, 17:27
In jackson 20 miles from me they have a earth staion that sells bio for 2.09 and dino for 2.29 a gallon but the bio makes my old 6.2 runs very smooths