PDA

View Full Version : Power Service

Barry Nave
02-27-2005, 01:42
This product that I use in my 6.5 for fuel treatment, could I use it in a gas Eng. on my 58 F600 for top end lube?
Marvel Mistrey oil olso comes to mine though not as cheep.

DmaxMaverick
02-27-2005, 02:29
I wouldn't suggest it. I don't think it would hurt anything, but there are better products out there designed just for what you want. There are several lead substitutes available at most parts stores. "Instead O' Lead" is a brand that comes to mind. Just about all the chemical suppliers (Gunk, Berrymans, etc.) have a lead substitute product. I think Bardalls was recommended at one time.

I know older folks that swear by MMO. They use it for everything. Fuel, oil, hydraulics, corn flakes. You name it, they put it in there. But still, I think a lead substitute will do better for your needs, even if you use it with MMO.

If you ever need to get inside that engine (if it's original), replace the valves, guides and seats with modern, updated parts, and eliminate the need for worrying about it.

I'm not knocking PS. I use it in all my Diesels, and have for years. I just don't think it's the right answer for your question.

Barry Nave
02-27-2005, 02:42
Thanks DMAX
I have rebuilt the 292 and done the head's up grade for no lead.
So adding lead to the fuel will give the upper end some lube?

DmaxMaverick
02-27-2005, 05:09
They're supposed to, but I don't really know the process.

Lead, in the previous fuels, "plated" the metal surfaces to offer lubrication and a heat barrier on the valves, seats, guides and cylinders. If the substitutes do the same as lead did, it should. The older engines, like your 58, usually lived a short life compared to modern engines. This is due mostly to modern metalurgy, and machining processes. Upper cylinder lubes were originally introduced to counteract the effects of using fuels containing spirits and esters, like ethanol. Ethanol would actually remove the lubricating film off the cylinder walls and piston, and prevent the oil from adhering to the metal. Modern unleaded fuels are supposed to have additives to prevent this from happening, so they claim. You may also consider using an non detergent motor oil (or old Pennzoil). It is supposed to be less prone to the effects of the washing. I'm not an authority on this and haven't had to deal with it for many years. Dr. Lee would be a better person to take this to. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Barry Nave
02-27-2005, 05:50
Huuuum
I use the same oil as I do in my truck.
Moblie Delvac 1300. It has a S rating.
Can one still buy that type of oil? Never thought to look. Rear seal leaks some but just a few drip's after it sat for awhile. No puddles.
No oil use other than for the rear seal yet once it gets to that point I end up doing an oil change. Oil has a nice light brown tint.
Did vavle tappet Adj. and covers were clean after rebuild 3yrs. ago.
When I get old (48yrs young) I may want something to play with.
Truck use is aways under load, 5 ton is the most I load at any givin time though it can handle more. Still has the wood main bed rails though they have been beefed up. Wood bed that has been coverd with plate steel.
Very goog old Dump Truck for stone,dirt,trash,old roofing,new roofing and heavy Mat. loads ect..