PDA

View Full Version : Any of you experience these 2 problems?

MudNurI
08-14-2004, 16:47
Since you were of great help with my injector questions...I thought I'd pose these two to you.

The 1st is minor, in comparison, but bugs me just the same.

Our guage cluster, has 6 hairline cracks on the clear plastic cover. It started with 2, on the right hand lower side, and then 2 more came, near the trip/reset button (that we've never used!), and now there are 2 more on the bottom right side...Service tech says- "musta hit the dash..umm okay, maybe we'd remember that???

2nd problem is with the steering. We've had the shaft replacement- way back in '02, but recently- the last 6 months or 20K miles or so, when you turn slowly- more often to the right, it sounds as if the power steering pump is hitting a dry spot. A loud moan, that everyone in the cab can hear. Picture this..you stop at an intersection, turning right. As you take off, and turn the wheel, a loud moan comes from somewhere near the steering column, last about 3-4 seconds, however long that corner might be. Once the wheel is straight, noise is gone.

Tech has checked the pump, fluid level etc.. and says all is fine. We asked if the system needed to be flushed "nope, got plenty of pressure"....which was weird, as the trucks way outta warranty you'd have thought they'd have been happy to make some money off us.

So, anyone experience these 2 issues? Any thoughts on what they might be caused by?

Thanks again!
Brandy

DucksnDiesel
08-16-2004, 09:32
I have the exact same problem with the steering. Took it into the dealer about two weeks ago and they replaced the half shaft. The truck had the steering box bearing replaced in '03. Dealer said it was fixed. It had the exact same problem (noise and vibration) before I could even get it home. Took it back the next day - they could not get it to repeat the problem. Picked it up and it had the problem leaving the lot. Took it back a week later for a third time. They still claim they cannot find a problem. They said the service manager drove the truck for an hour (maybe he was gone an hour but he did not drive the truck for an hour) with no problems. The truck has the problem on 35-40% of the slow turns (worse to the right). I guess if I wait until it does it 90% of the time, there will at least be a 10% chance of the dealer finding the actual problem.

MudNurI
08-16-2004, 15:56
well of course, todays monday and my new injectors are not in yet...maybe tomorrow?

Once it's done I'm going to have our tech take it for the day/night and see what he thinks is going on with this noise. There's got to be something with it...can't be normal, because it didnt start this until the last 20K or so....all updated parts have been installed on this thing, no TSB's are out there, no new parts etc...

if I find anything out I'll be sure to let you know...

FYI- our tech will take the truck home, as years back when our 89 p/u had horrible spark knock we gave it to him for the night, and sure enough, he found it.

Brandy

mps007
08-17-2004, 04:28
I had my dash bezel develop the same cracks - Dealer said I must have hit it --
Not likely >>>

I traded mine for an 04 -- fixed that problem

jgsxr1251
02-28-2005, 05:24
Did you ever find out what was making the steering noise... my 2003 3500HD Dmax is doing the same thing!

nmckinn
03-16-2005, 18:56
I had cracks in the clear plastic in the dash on my 99 gasser. When I was cleaning it I noticed the cracks and felt them with my finger and busted right thru. My dealer covered it under warranty. I only wish my Duramax would be that easy to get them to fix/replace without a hassel.