PDA

View Full Version : Beacon Fuel / Diesel quality ?

Ron Richardson
01-22-2003, 23:31
Anyone try Beacon Fuel for diesel. They are stations here in Calif that supply less expensive gas and diesel. Diesel's about a dime cheaper than "normal" stations.

thanks!

GBurton
01-23-2003, 09:35
Ron Richardson

I am sure that there are other Ron Richardson's out there but just in case did you work in sacramento for PG&E?

George
GC Telecom

Ron Richardson
01-23-2003, 12:10
Sorry, nope.

Ron

yak ears
01-24-2003, 10:50
Just a thought, A dime cheaper will not amount to much in total cost as compaired to the cost of getting bad fuel(And I have first hand knowledge of this) Stay with the name brand and high use fuel stops, You will not go wrong and save yourself a lot of trouble and many bad words. You payed big bucks for your fine truck lets not get cheap with the fuel. Hope this helps.

stillracing
01-24-2003, 23:23
I have filled up at Beacon. I had no problem with the fuel.

Big O
01-25-2003, 04:19
Where do you think the lesser known stations get their fuel?? They don't have their own refineries. It also comes from the major refineries. Just a diffent 'label' :D :D

yak ears
01-25-2003, 10:56
Yes they get it from the majors but unless you know it is a high volume fuel stop with no problems I would think twice. If you have ever had bad fuel you know what a problem it can be. I do not mean to put down any brand but would like to save any one the mistake I made when I first got my new truck. My D/A was the first diesel I have owned , I thought the days of bad fuel were a thing of the past, This was before I found this site. Hope I did not step on any toes. My wife just came in the room and read the post, She said Beacon is real big in the mid west like Arco is here, Thats why I married her some one needs to watch me. :D :D

Idle_Chatter
01-25-2003, 11:00
"It's all the same" tongue.gif I just saw a very interesting segment of "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel discussing gasoline. It seems that 80% of gasoline (and diesel) is transported by pipeline. There are few dediciated use pipelines and most are service rented by the oil companies. What this means in short is that a specific oil refinery, lets say Shell, puts a barrel of fuel into the pipe at Houston. It doesn't wait 12 days for that specific barrel of fuel to reach Chicago, it takes a barrel of fuel out of the pipe in Chicago at the same time. That barrel coming out in Chicago was produced by any of the lease users 12 days before. The "raw" product is intermixed by producers and all of the same basic specifications. At the distrubution point, once again a brand-owned facility, that "raw" product gets an additive pack as it's being loaded into the delivery truck. BUT (and this is the good part!) the additive packs used by all the major brands are practically identical :D , so there's no real measurable difference in any of the major fuels. Now, that doesn't apply to contamination or bad tanks at dealers, but interesting none the less! smile.gif

oyazi
01-25-2003, 16:11
Well, in the absence of actual experience, there'll be mostly rationalization. I bought diesel once or twice from beacon for my rabbit some years ago when my regular source was out. Didn't have any adverse experience. However, w/gas, my mileage decreased and even had rough idle and sputtering on several occassions. Now I'm reluctant to purchase fuel from beacon. There is an exxon in town where I normally fuel ~ and at times when they're reloading, I'll ask the tanker if he's dumping diesel. Usually, they'll wait a few minutes until I fill up before they stir up things by dumping. I think the ol' Signal Gas Stations of our childhood are now Beacon and of course Richfields are now ARCO.

DmaxMaverick
01-25-2003, 16:57
Don't know how they do their Diesel, but their gas IS different. Beacon is of but a few chains that pump gas with 10% ethanol. This mix is not recommended for some vehicles. Perhaps the rabbit was one of them.

The reason Beacon can sell gas cheaper is the ethanol. The government PAYS them to mix it, and therefore, have to pass on the savings.