PDA

View Full Version : My truck "misses" when cold

jpaitala
10-31-2004, 21:28
This happened couple of times last winter when it was real cold but nothing serious and had no problems during summer.
Yesterday evening it was not so cold but was also damp and the truck started a bit rough - smoothed out within 2secs.
When left for a ride it would not rev up as normal and it was kinda stuck with 2nd gear, after 2km going like this it suddenly came back to normal.

IS this related to FSD or could it be something else?

Thanks.

jpaitala
11-02-2004, 20:13
Was this too dumb question or what?

Spindrift
11-03-2004, 05:17
When did you last change your glow plugs?

jpaitala
11-03-2004, 20:24
The plugs where changed a year ago(20 000km).

This only happens if I dont have block heater on at night. When it's cold I normally use block heater for 2hr before I start her up, when doing like this there's no problems. But starting her dead cold, she acts like crazy.

Spindrift
11-04-2004, 05:55
Check for proper operation of the glow plug relay. Also, make sure that the two posts on the top of the relay are clean.

joed
11-04-2004, 06:26
I've had the same problem lately. After checking the plug wires with an amp meter (with good plugs, each engine bank should pull around 55 amps), I have come to the conclusion, that at least on my truck, the PCM just doesn't call for quite enough glow time. The newer type plugs (AC 60gs or Kennedy's quick heats) seem to need more time than my turck's original 11g plugs did.

At the suggestion of others on the board, the other day I wired a second relay to energize the glow plugs manually before I turn the key on for the normal glow cycle. So far this seems to have helped quite a bit.

Hope that helps. Joe.

jpaitala
11-04-2004, 22:15
I will check these suggestions this weekend.
Thanks.

Dvldog 8793
11-06-2004, 03:31
Howdy
My truck seems to have the same problem. I just put in a new motor and thought the problem would go away with that. It didn't. If our symptoms are the same then I don't think it has anything to do with glowplugs. I can let my truck idle for about 10 minutes and still have the miss/stutter at around 1700rmp. As you said this only happens when cold otherwise she runs like a champ. No banging like a dead cylinder does, just that chugging stutter miss. If I get in rev the motor before I go down the road this seems to help. I'm thinking maybe a stuck injector??? the only thing that was retained from the old motor was the fuel system and turbo.
Any help????????????????
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

jpaitala
11-07-2004, 20:22
I did the Improved Side Terminal Battery Connections mod this weekend and I can say that there is a difference in starting and in what the voltmeter shows.

I would recommend this mod for everyone, if you havent done it, do it. By far the cheapest mod that can give you good results.

Gapper_ca
11-10-2004, 07:53
I get a slight miss at about 1000 rpm if the engine is cold, after i am at running temp no prblem. First start of the day, pluged in, if i let it idle to warm up in the morning , after about 5 minutes i will get a check engine light. after about 3 or 4 starts it will go away. no time to get it in to read code.

i suspect it is the EGR system. i hope anyhow.