PDA

View Full Version : Prime Directive

mps007
01-23-2003, 07:47
My Dmax has lost prime just about every day this week, Temps have been cold, 11-19 degrees. Parked on a slight incline. I have to pop the hood on my 40k truck, prime it & than go. I left it at the dealer to see if they could find anything, THey couldn't. Said they 'checked' for leaks etc. So i go outside the dealership at 7:30 pm (17 degrees) No prime.......

They actually said that this is could be a normal condition in severe cold ( even out it in print on the service order)

To me, if this was 'normal" the Primer button would be in the cab....

Any input from you cold weather Dmax Owners ?

Thanks
Mike

c5dura
01-23-2003, 07:59
Have you checked the dilithium crystals? ;)

Seriously though, I have run my truck out of diesel twice and those were the only times I had to prime. Coldest starts for me have been around 10 degrees or so, never a problem.

imported_
01-23-2003, 08:09
It has been -25C for a high all week, and I have never primed my truck with the exception of when I changed the fuel filter. :D

FreddyChevy
01-23-2003, 08:37
I have started me '02 D/A in -14F with no problem. Sounds like a leak to me I can't see how the cold would have any effect on the truck loosing the prime. Just for the heck of it try and park it in a warm place overnight then when it still looses its prime you have something to fight with the stealer about. Good Luck

rtquig
01-23-2003, 08:49
Just to make sure, I would see if the fuel tank cap is locked and the bleed screw on the filter is tight. Hey, you never know!

Kennedy
01-23-2003, 08:57
I would sprinkle some talcum around the usual suspect fittings like on the filter housing etc, and then apply just a couple psi to the tank with a blow gun and a rag. Either that or a dye in the fuel.

hickcox
01-23-2003, 22:20
It really sounds you have the same fuel cap problem I had when my Dmax was new.
All I can say is change the fuel cap, it only costs a few bucks and it's easy to replace. Remember it's supposed to be a sealed system.

Maxter
01-23-2003, 23:09
Talk about Star Trek topics...

See the "He's dead Jim" topic. This sounds like what happened to me except that I cranked it for 10 seconds at a time to semi-prime it.

I good night in a warm place could make your problem go away. That's, how mine was settled.

Something frose between the tank and the filter and the truck had problems pumping its fuel. It melted away overnight at my dealer's garage.

Hope this helps.

JF.