PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temp Range ?

jbplock
10-13-2002, 17:37
What is the normal coolant temp range for the DuraMax unloaded. Mine (with 250 miles)is running between 195 and 205 deg. This is high compared to my 98 K3500 with RS180's. Is this the normal range?

chuntag95
10-13-2002, 18:47
jbplock,

Mine runs between 195 and 205 as does my father-in-laws, even towing heavy in hot weather. I did have something interesting show up when I pluged in my code reader. The water temp was reading about 195 on the dash, but the scanner read 173. Don't know where the two get their info, but just what I found.

Tim B
10-13-2002, 21:12
Mine always seems to run right at 200. I ran it 100 miles today in 90 degree temps at 65 mph (AC on)and it held at 200 the entire time. Allison temp was an indicated 170.

Tim B.

jbplock
10-14-2002, 08:18
Chris & Tim,

Thanks for the reply!

I loved my 6.5 but this D/A is one awesome truck!

:D :D :D

Kennedy
10-14-2002, 10:21
First notch short of the 210 mark +/- 1 mark seems to be the norm. This seems to equate to the 180's on the Tech 2

chuntag95
10-14-2002, 12:20
JK,
Since you are the local guru smile.gif , why the difference? Are there two different measurement points, one for the tech 2 and one for the gauge? I also got lower results on my scanner. It's just an AutoXray, put does most of what I need and has the monitor function. I hooked it up to see if I could look at the injectors, but no such luck. Any light you can shed would be appreciated.

Kennedy
10-14-2002, 12:32
I guess I chock it up to gauge accuracy. I haven't gone exploring to find a gauge sender, but unless I miss my guess, GM is using the ECT sensor voltage to drive the gauge as well. Could be an issue with gauge/pointer accuracy, or the tables used to drive the gauge.

thechevyhdman
10-14-2002, 18:13
Towing,highway, traffic, 30 Degree temps 105Degree temps anything. Never went above the notch below 210. Now if I could only keep my 6.5 from fluctuating between 170 and 225 id be happy JPblock once you get a DMax a 6.5 is just a long distant rather forgotten memory. Now if we could just get rid of our other 3 6.5s it would be an even further distant memory. But that involves alot of money were not quite ready to spend.

Toddster
10-14-2002, 18:39
Hey Chevyhdman, wanna sell that stepside 6.2 ?

thechevyhdman
10-14-2002, 23:02
Ah its pretty much a nostalgic truck now. At some point a "person" who worked on it 1) tightend the heck out of the starter bolts. 2) forgot to attach torque bracket to relieve some stress put on the bolts. Well I was about 18 when my dad said check my starter out its making noise. I get under wow I say this outside bolt is loose, I get my socket on it and start turning down the bolt... not getting tighter...WTF I say.. get out flashlight.. lets just say you cant tighten down a bolt when half the threads and outside corner of the block is gone. Had an attempted fix with a stud welded on lasted 2 weeks. Had another attempt to fix it and well We just said F it. I dont even dare start it now, especially when its been about 6 yrs since its run last. A pure shame to me, truck had 242,000 ran great a little piston slap when cold but strong. Looked for a 6.2 but cant really find em for cheap. but am really interested in winter project. Ill ask my dad about it. Stepside 8 ft plow dual tanks got 20 mpg. Seemed like a really rare truck never saw one like it in my life. But unless you feel like putting an engine in it and some body panels besides the bed its worthless. Still just sitting there rusting away. If your interested still Ill ask the old man. New door put on it, new radiator, turbo 350 w shift kit, Newer rear end, Newer flareside bed(wood is still solid) Its better off a part truck or a yard truck to snowplow with. Make an offer. Gmanjr96@aol.com