PDA

View Full Version : Frozen intercooler???

Duramaxdiesel
01-24-2003, 11:04
Ok get this. My buddy calls me from work today saying that his intercooler froze. Says he started his D/A and let it idle for 2 mins. Puts her in drive and 20 mins later down the road she sputters and dies. I know what you're thinking, the fuel filter right? No. He had it towed to the dealer and put in the garage. They don't touch it 'till 2 hours later and when they do it starts right up. Dealer said it was a common problem when really cold outside. Told him to put the front bra on his truck and that it would help.

This is a first I've heard about an intercooler freezing. What about you guys?

DURA-MAX3
01-24-2003, 11:49
The intercooler is there to cool the air before entering the engine, there should'nt be any thing in there to freeze...

SoMnDMAX
01-24-2003, 13:46
I guess it'd be possible for the intercooler to freeze, but highly unlikely.

I would bet the fuel was gelled or the fuel filter was froze up (water in system).

Runaway
01-24-2003, 15:41
Maybe your buddy is like me and has a hearing loss and misunderstood fuel filter for inter-cooler? :D
You'ld be surprised at some of the things I come up with from what people have said!

DURA-MAX3
01-24-2003, 16:51
Am i wrong or is there anything in the intercooler to freeze...

Idle_Chatter
01-24-2003, 17:02
The intercooler is a really big air-to-air cooler with some *honkin* big pipes to it (check out those aluminum and blue babies on each side of the engine compartment! There couldn't be enough water or oil to "freeze" in the intercooler or even restrict it to any extent (especially without getting it pumped into the intake by the turbo!). I'm thinking that what froze was the FUEL COOLER. It's a much smaller unit with small tubing and if waxed up would prevent fuel return to the tank. The fuel lines are also long runs of smallish stainless steel tubing along the driver's side frame rail. I'm betting on waxing/gelling of the fuel lines and/or cooler.

DURA-MAX3
01-24-2003, 17:28
ok i'm not crazy then...thanks

Duramaxdiesel
01-24-2003, 19:09
I gave him the address to this site and told him to check it out. Thanks for the insight.

Kennedy
01-27-2003, 17:24
I think he should ask his dealer what they did to remove all of the water that would be inside the intercooler if it were to freeze up. :rolleyes:

I'd side with the majority here in saying it probably was the FUEL that was giving restriction...

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

4meseb
01-27-2003, 17:30
Good One Kennedy,

I would like to hear the answer to that one myself.
Scott

Wally
01-27-2003, 19:51
OK, It's highly unlikely that this is what actually happened BUT it can happen. Pressurized gas will hold less moisture than gas at atmospheric pressure. Gas at the same pressure but higher temps will hold more moisture than gas at the same pressure but lower temps.
Scenario: temp is 10-20 degrees humidity is 90-100%(foggy) truck is driven under moderate boost conditions. Air temp pre-intercooler/post turbo is 115 degrees and 5-8psig. Temp/press post intercooler is 20-30 degrees 4-7psig. The air is now below the dewpoint for this temp and pressure. The moisture condenses somewhere! Inside the last part of the intercooler? At this time the pressure is raising the freezing point of the condensed water so it doesn't freeze. Boost is removed and the moisture suddenly freezes. Once frozen it is very diffcult to thaw.
Purely speculation on my part but it sounds feaseable. smile.gif We deal with this every day processing natural gas. As the gas is pressurized and cooled it drops out incredible amounts of water.

Lone Eagle
01-27-2003, 20:07
That volume would destroy the turbo in short order. The very least it would vibrate. I don't know what speed the turbo is turning but it is fast. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

YZF1R
01-27-2003, 20:36
Wally, that's a very interesting thought. Makes sense. However, I wouldn't think that is happening, not that it couldn't. You have the gears turning on this one though!

Steve

Idle_Chatter
01-30-2003, 11:30
Good observations, Wally, and I suppose if you were to get any "frosting" that it could lead to some flow restriction in the cooler portion of the intercooler. However, I think that the heat of compression from the turbo, the ambient heat in the engine compartment and the radiant heat from the radiator in close proximity to the intercooler probably prevent any sudden temperature shifts, especially any severe enough to "cloud" humidity in the intercooler. No facts, just opinions. ;)

kerry witherspoon
01-30-2003, 19:30
Well i service 18 trucks all with turbo and intercoolers never had that probllem but many with gelled fuel, plugged filtres . Under the right conditions intercoller iced up is possible,but engine would run lots of black smoke poor power, but with design of duramax intercooler some air would get through,not enough restriction to completly kill engine.