PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp/Oil Pressure guage installation?

Steve O.
02-28-2005, 11:36
Where do you guys prefer to install oil temp and oil pressure senders on the 6.5? (using electrical guages, not mechanical)

Thanks

Steve

JoeyD
02-28-2005, 16:24
The stock location for the sendor unit for oil pressure is a good spot, not sure about temp. I am not sure if a sensor in the pan would give oil temps acuarate as to the temp the oil hits circulating thru the motor but may be close enough.

hug
02-28-2005, 17:06
I put my oil temp sender at the turbo. I felt that this location would give me the hottest readings.

Steve O.
02-28-2005, 17:58
Originally posted by Joey D:
The stock location for the sendor unit for oil pressure is a good spot,I should probably know this, but where is the stock location? And, if anyone knows:

A) Does an Autometer electrical sending unit fit in the stock spot or

B) is there a straightforward way to piggyback and Autometer unit onto the stock sending unit line?

I put my oil temp sender at the turbo. Hug, where and did you tap into the oil line to the turbo?

Thanks guys. This is a big help as I am hoping to install these this weekend.

Steve

hug
02-28-2005, 19:06
I tapped into mine where the oil line goes into the turbo. I took theoil line off took the adapter out of the turbo. I found a tee that had a male 1/4 pipe thread on one end female on the other and the tee was also female. I put the male end into the turbo then put the origanal adapter into the top and then used another adapter to put my sending unit in the side.(sending unit was 1/8 npt). I can try to send you a piture if I can figure out how. If you need one

Steve O.
02-28-2005, 19:22
Thanks hug. I'll take you up on the pitcutre thing if it's not too much trouble.

steven.ostrovitz@verizon.net

Either way, thanks for the input.

Steve

Barry Nave
03-01-2005, 01:47
Those that do have oil temp's installed, what temp's are you seeing?
Any one have oil and trans gauge running stock cooler? Temp reading.

hug
03-01-2005, 16:15
Bnave95
oil temp at turbo
normal driving fall & winter 150-165 degress
towing in the fall & winter 180-195
normal driving spring & summer 180 -210
towing in spring & summer 180-230
most of the higher temps are seen at low speeds in town as soon as steady speed is achieved the temps come down. I have seen 250 but in a hard pull in the mountians with no modifacations.
Trans temps in pan
These really dont change much between the seasons
normal driving 125-150
towing 150-210 don't see 210 that much at all usually stays around 180. When I changed to full sythetic fluid I noticed a difference. 15-25 degree drop. I hope this helps. Also I recently changed to 205 thermostats and have not seen any difference in temps on oil or trans.

tanker
03-01-2005, 17:25
Hi Steve, on my 6.5 I used Isspro guages. They have a sender that replaced the oil drain plug in the oil pan, its electric with a copper washer gasket, which I replaced at each oil change. It uses a 1/2" copper washer available at "Lowes" or "Pep-Boys" etc.
The oil temps followed the coolant temps most times, the faster you run in mph, the higher the temps. The heavier the load or how hot it was ambient related to the oil temps. 200 degrees was about normal in summer at 70 mph. I stayed with the stock oil pressure guage, which seemd about normal for a factory guage. When I broke my crankshaft, I lost 25psi on the factory guage, :mad: So it worked.
Oil pressure sending unit is located on left rear of engine at the fire wall.
Trans temp, I put in two senders and one guage, with a toggle selector switch. One sender in each cooling line, which gave me out-going hot fluid temps, and in-comming for cooled fluid returning to transmission.
Rear axle temps, with sender in the Mag-Hytec rear cover. Again temps related to outside air temperature, and speed and load.
Hope this helps out. ;)

Petrella
03-02-2005, 17:25
i have a set of autometer gauges, and my oil temp gauge came with a 1/8" NPT sender, they give you adaptors for bigger sizes, but all i did was remove my oil filter housing, very easy, and drilled and tapped a 1/8 pipe thread into the aluminum housing, and it works very well and gives me accurate temp readings. I am using stock tranny and oil coolers, and on a hot day around 85 degrees, my oil temp will run about 200 degrees, and tranny about 175, empty doing about 70MPH

Anthony
-----------------------------------------------
1994 K2500 4x4 Suburban
6.5 Turbo Diesel
Pyro,Tranny,Oil,Diff temp Gauges, Boost Gauge
FSD Cooler from my GM dealer
Sweet sounding JK Exhaust
Heath Chip
Boost Controller
Crystal Projection headlights, Turn signals and reflectors.
Euro Tail Lights
Cowl Induction Hood
2" Lift
305/70R/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains
3.73 Limited Slip
American Eagle 16x10 chrome wheels, style 145
Alpine Stereo,DVD,Navigation System, and Alarm
Indigo Blue Metallic
Pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=anthony1982&x

[ 03-02-2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Petrella ]

Steve O.
03-02-2005, 17:39
Anthony, first, nice truck!

The oil filter housing sounds good. I just picked up a Canton filter setup that I was going to put on this weekend so it makes sense to think about doing the temp setup the way you did.

I'm drawing a blank on how the filer housing is attached? Is it just a few bolts?

Also, will it be obvious to me (assuming I'm not a complete idiot) where to drill and tap the hole for the sender?

thanks

Steve

Petrella
03-02-2005, 18:16
Thanx Steve O, its one big bolt that holds the filter housing, i believe its 30 or 32mm, but yeah mark the dot with a marker, because if you dont drill it in the right place the sender will hit the block when you reinstall the housing

Steve O.
03-02-2005, 18:22
Originally posted by Petrella:
Thanx Steve O, its one big bolt that holds the filter housing, i believe its 30 or 32mm, but yeah mark the dot with a marker, because if you dont drill it in the right place the sender will hit the block when you reinstall the housing Ahhh, gotcha. I can "see" it now.

Thanks

Steve

Barry Nave
03-03-2005, 03:44
205* stats may be OK then seeing how the stock oil coolers are doing there job. Only the Eng. coolent temps are higher making the Eng. more efficeint.
Sence I have the oil By-Pass set up, I was thinking about splicing a cooler from the by-pass into the supply line going back to the block.
Good ideal or not needed?
Looking at AC Delco site I only see stats for 97 & up as being 103*
Where did you find the 205 at?
Do you feel this is better?
What may change my mind is the fact that we are selling or 29' T.T. and won't be tow much any more.

Brandon
03-05-2005, 19:02
Where the oil cooler lines go into the block there is an 1/8" or 1/4" pipe plug that is in the direct line of the out going oil. It gives an accurate reading. Most of the time mine runs about 180 but during the summer it will get to 220 but it is over 100 degrees here during the summer.

Steve O.
03-05-2005, 20:58
Brandon, thanks.

Where on the block is that stuff located?

Thanks

Steve

BobND
03-05-2005, 21:41
Bnave95,

I am sure if you research the AC Delco part number 131-103, you will find that the "103" suffix is simply a part number, and NOT the thermostat's temperature rating. I believe you will find that it is, in fact, a 180 degree 'stat.

Certain other brands include the themostat's temp rating as part of the part number, but I don't believe that is the case here, with this AC Delco part number.

Barry Nave
03-06-2005, 04:35
That sound's more likley ;)
I am wanting to add to my list of part# that have to do with my truck. Going to a parts store,I can then verify that this is indeed the right part,cross reference ECT.
There are may other parts that could be updated to the DP page.
I would to to see a Feature Article and Product Review with this being one of the topics.

Brandon
03-06-2005, 22:25
It is on the left side of the block right below the oil cooler lines. You will need a 1/4" square drive plug remover or a 1/4" ratchet to get the plug out.

GMC Hauler
03-10-2005, 15:43
Tanker,

Can you tell me which gage (part number if you have it) you use to nonitor the oil temp, and the temperature sensor?

Thanks

Steve O.
03-12-2005, 10:38
Made some progress yesterday on the gauge install.

I took Anthony's approach and dropped the oil filter housing and drilled and tapped a hole for the oil temp sender.

I also installed the probe for the diff temp sender. "Install" is actually a bit of an exageration, as the Mag-Hytec cover is already tapped for this purpose. Couldn't have been easier.

Still trying to figure out what to do about the electric oil pressure sender setup. I need to take a longer look, because I am having trouble figuring out where the spot on the back of the block is for this.

Steve